Red 20 - 20 6th Street NE

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Red 20 - 20 6th Street NE

Postby lordmoke » October 29th, 2012, 9:36 am

From F & C:
http://finance-commerce.com/2012/10/sch ... inos-site/

Anyone have access to the pay site?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Totino's Apartments

Postby Nathan » October 29th, 2012, 10:08 am

*crosses fingers*

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 29th, 2012, 2:29 pm

*crosses fingers*
Could you please elaborate? I don't have access to that article either.

Whomever DOES have access could they summarize the project? Like apartments/condos, # of units, # of floors, expected completion date, etc??

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 29th, 2012, 3:02 pm

I don't have a subscription either, I'm just crossing my fingers for something great here in general...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 29th, 2012, 6:53 pm

Like preserving the 19th century buildings and wrapping them in new construction? My fingers are crossed too.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 29th, 2012, 11:51 pm

From the city's grant denial paperwork:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 099646.pdf

" 519 Central Ave. NE, f/k/a Totino’s (519-523 Central Ave. NE) Projected Hennepin County ERF Request: $316,000 [Direct application to Hennepin County] Farrington Properties, Inc., an affiliate of Schafer Richardson, plans to demolish an existing vacant two story building on this 0.849 acre site and construct approximately 14,000 square feet of commercial (retail) space at grade with five levels of market rate apartments (approximately 100 units) above, with two levels of underground parking. The existing building has been approved for demolition, conditioned on an approved plan for redevelopment. The projected total development cost is $21,470,300. Grant funds were being sought for soil remediation and the abatement of asbestos and lead-based paint. However, this project is still relatively less ready than most of the other projects in this round with respect to neighborhood review/approval of the details of the proposed project, finalization of necessary land use approvals, and documentation of other criteria including adequacy of private financing sources for the project’s $21 million development cost."

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 30th, 2012, 8:23 am

From reading that, it doesn't sound to me like whatever this is isn't going to happen, it just sounds like their grant application was premature.

Nordeastmpls
City Center

Postby Nordeastmpls » October 30th, 2012, 9:47 am

That is my take on it as well.

Does anyone know if this includes the boarded up building next to Totino's? Or is this just the Totino's building and the parking lot that takes up the rest of the block?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 30th, 2012, 11:05 am

Is the building considered historic at all? Will it likely be preserved in the redevelopment?

Nordeastmpls
City Center

Postby Nordeastmpls » October 30th, 2012, 1:39 pm

There was talk of it the last time this property was trying to be developed (before the real estate bust). The building is not considered historic and is in terrible shape. However, there were some people who thought that it should be considered historic and saved, since Totinos started here. There are some cool details on this building, but a lot of modifications were made over the years and there really isn't a whole lot that I would consider worth saving. I would say about half of the facade that faces Central looks original, the rest just looks awful.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 30th, 2012, 3:12 pm

The facade is actually very much original, other than the storefront windows that have been reduced, but the historic openings are still obvious. Easily saved and incorporated into a new project.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=totino+c ... 74,,0,2.33

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 31st, 2013, 9:38 pm

Site plans are up on the city's website:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 103805.pdf

I reeeeeally hope this happens. We need to get rid of all that surface parking in Northeast.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 31st, 2013, 9:45 pm

Awesome!!! Look at all that retail! I mean, nothing crazy, but could be a NE game changer :)

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 31st, 2013, 10:36 pm

A little sad to see a bit of the city's history go with demolition of the old Totino's, but wow, this is a phenomenal project. If the former Archive condo project ever takes off on top of this, this area should really jump to life!

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » January 31st, 2013, 10:47 pm

Wow, was that so hard? Why is it that an unassuming project like this can imagine retail space while high-profile project in areas with a lot more foot traffic simply can't fit it a shop or two into the first floor of their buildings?

This isn't a great design, but I'd take fifty more of these buildings if it means we get more street level retail to help build the surrounding area into a successful neighborhood.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 1st, 2013, 1:53 am

Why include balconies at all if they' are going to look that awful, not to mention the magi-packs...

The retail component has an advantage at this site, zoning. That is all.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 1st, 2013, 7:47 am

Why include balconies at all if they' are going to look that awful
Giving everyone a little backyard, yeah sounds terrible. I understand your complaint, but people will live here it's not just for eye candy.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 1st, 2013, 9:49 am

not to mention the magi-packs....
I am always amazed at how Magic Pack has become a proprietary eponym. It just seems like through the wall package HVAC units are too obscure, but I guess Magic Pack is easier to type. At least nobody calls them PTACs, which would be incorrect.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 1st, 2013, 12:55 pm

"Magic-Pak" is the trademark.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 1st, 2013, 1:17 pm

[offtopic]My point was that there are more than one manufacturer of, through the wall package HVAC units, but they are commonly referred to as "Magic Packs". People call facial tissue kleenex even though the product may not be Kleenex.[/offtopic]