Mill & Main - (501 Main Street Southeast)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Mill & Main - (501 Main Street Southeast)

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 26th, 2012, 11:43 am

^Well that and there is an abundant amount of space/available land right now in that micro-area and these smaller projects will reduce that amount considerably, paving the way for better future potential buildings.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 26th, 2012, 1:54 pm

I'm partial to this part of the city, so I might be biased, but I can't help but feel that this is a somewhat underwhelming development in a space that has tons of potential.
I totally know what you're saying but I like that scale for Main Street, when you look down it all of the old buildings (even the front of the phoenix) line up real nice and cozy like. I also feel like it saves some view for the next few blocks to have some nice tiering of heights and develop a bit denser river front. height back a few blocks doesn't bother me, We all know how well large tall buildings worked on the other side of the river... Hopefully some cool iconic architecture like other cities have on their banks.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » September 26th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Photo taken from the Endless Bridge at the Guthrie.
Mill.jpg

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 27th, 2012, 7:36 am

I would have loved to see a pano of all the construction activity and cranes from that vista! Particularly the U of M (since North Loop would be difficult to see possibly)!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 7th, 2012, 10:35 am

Got a shot of this from across the river. Some facade is starting to go up on one corner.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 7th, 2012, 11:30 am

Oh my! They are giving a nice nod to the red tile elevator with that siding choice. Interesting.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 7th, 2012, 1:00 pm

The building's exterior is off to a good start with the warm, colorful variation, and nicely patterned brick. This detailing was not apparent from the rendering. A nice surprise!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 8th, 2012, 9:15 am

Yeah, the square brick are a great surprise! I guess there are people thinking out there :)

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » October 8th, 2012, 10:58 am

Christ, these things go up so quick! Loving that brick.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » October 10th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Yeah, it's two stories taller than the last time I biked by...I wanna say it was only over week since then.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » October 12th, 2012, 7:53 am

disappointed that I have not been biking to work lately. I used to pass by twice a day. It's refreshing to see them using real brick rather than pre-fad slabs. This side of the river is going to be hopping with a lot of activity over the next few years. I can't wait to see what the final neighborhood turns out to be once residents move in.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 13th, 2012, 10:15 am

disappointed that I have not been biking to work lately. I used to pass by twice a day. It's refreshing to see them using real brick rather than pre-fad slabs. This side of the river is going to be hopping with a lot of activity over the next few years. I can't wait to see what the final neighborhood turns out to be once residents move in.
Will be good to have some energy at that end of Main Street. Until now you came over the Stone Arch Bridge and you saw a waste land pretty much. You had to go close to a 1/4 mile before you really hit and really activity with St. Anthony Main. I hope the added housing along the River and at Central and University will allow the owners of River place to see if they can again make it a more attractive place to go and be seen and to shop and work.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 13th, 2012, 7:00 pm

In retrospect River Place seemed like a prime example of "Build it and they will (not) come"! This is why cities that are over-zealous about becoming "vibrant" or "24 hour" livable downtowns and try to force things that weren't quite ready to happen yet. I got this notion a lot when I lived in Columbus, OH during college -- the city was always trying to conjure up ways to make everybody WANT to live downtown, when really they didn't care at all about living downtown (and maybe still don't care about living downtown). River Place SEEMS like it was one of these things that somebody thought would bring energy and consequent development if successful -- and I believe it was successful -- but once the intrique died down the area has become an afterthought.

Now that people are pining to live near downtown and the St. Anthony area is once again becoming a place that people WANT to be in/around, I can see the demand for something like River Place actually becoming fulfilled.....the way it was intended to exist.

I was born in '81 though and wasn't around and reading articles about why River Place came to be.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 13th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Vibrant! It works!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mulad

Postby mulad » October 13th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Heh, I was almost expecting Elf to do something that inserts a "secret word" image/video gag -- either something from Pee-Wee's Playhouse or that SNL sketch with Kristen Wiig.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 13th, 2012, 11:45 pm

Vibrant! It works!
I went for it and got lucky I guess! Not sure if it was because I used quotes though......

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 13th, 2012, 11:56 pm

Vibrant! It works!
Can we cut out the filth please?
"Who rescued whom!"

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 19th, 2012, 8:59 am

Doran is charging forward with Phase II, according to a document detailing the City's recommended projects for a trio of brownfield cleanup granting programs:
Mill & Main, Phase II (425 Main St. SE and part of 100 3rd Ave. SE)
Projected DEED Request: $752,350
Projected Metropolitan Council TBRA Request: $65,205
Projected Hennepin County ERF Request: $65,205
Doran plans to demolish an existing building and construct a seven story, 190-unit market rate apartment building on this 1.3 acre site. The projected total development cost is $35,000,000. While this project would increase population density and tax base in a designated activity center, significant questions remain regarding readiness connected with Historic Preservation Commission [HPC] approvals. The developer’s current proposed configuration is not consistent with prior HPC guidance. The HPC will next review the proposal at its meeting on October 23, 2012, which is also the date on which this brownfield grant matter will be considered by the Community Development Committee. Staff recommends submitting these three applications contingent upon the developer reaching agreement with the HPC by the grantors’ November 1, 2012 submission deadline. Otherwise, this application will be deemed insufficiently ready for this round. Grant funds, if awarded, will be used for soil remediation and the abatement of hazardous materials.
HPC staff has recommended approval of the changes, but apparently are requesting that "The height of the building shall be one story lower" on the side adjacent to the Red Tile Elevator. That seems like the sort of thing developers try to avoid, so we'll see where this goes. Maybe I'm misreading it all, too, I don't know.
"Who rescued whom!"

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » October 24th, 2012, 12:07 pm

In retrospect River Place seemed like a prime example of "Build it and they will (not) come"! This is why cities that are over-zealous about becoming "vibrant" or "24 hour" livable downtowns and try to force things that weren't quite ready to happen yet. I got this notion a lot when I lived in Columbus, OH during college -- the city was always trying to conjure up ways to make everybody WANT to live downtown, when really they didn't care at all about living downtown (and maybe still don't care about living downtown). River Place SEEMS like it was one of these things that somebody thought would bring energy and consequent development if successful -- and I believe it was successful -- but once the intrique died down the area has become an afterthought.

Now that people are pining to live near downtown and the St. Anthony area is once again becoming a place that people WANT to be in/around, I can see the demand for something like River Place actually becoming fulfilled.....the way it was intended to exist.

I was born in '81 though and wasn't around and reading articles about why River Place came to be.
I'm sure that spots on St Anthony Main and nearby Old St Anthony are major draws for prospective residents, not to mention a park right out front and the Stone Arch Bridge to the Mill District. The problem in Columbus is that the city and developers thought people would be lining up to buy "New York style" condos and the city expected to reach 10,000 residents by 2012 (and there was going to be a streetcar to the university). Well, they only have almost 6,000 and the major problem was that there was very little to do Downtown. Basically, you'd be paying for high-end units next to a lot of parking lots and few worthy downtown destinations to draw people there (generic sandwich shops for the office crowd doesn't get anyone excited, not even the office workers). Instead of providing incentives for residential units they should have focused on getting more destinations like there are today (still a couple of decades away from Mpls'). A generic downtown park (Genoa) and brown stinky river didn't suffice for a natural attraction, so North Bank Park and Scioto Mile certainly help by providing a space for pedestrians, joggers, and the like. The increase in destination retail (bars, restaurants) have likewise done a good deal more to make the area more attractive to live in. I think the critical mass of destinations is there on Main to complete the area.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 9th, 2012, 9:41 am

Well, this thing is topped out now. After almost exactly five months of construction.