Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Major League Soccer in Minnesota

Postby mullen » August 1st, 2014, 10:38 am

i'm going to both the man city soccer match and the mccartney concert. thank you green line lrt. and i think over 30 thousand tickets sold is pretty good.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 4th, 2014, 6:24 am

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 4th, 2014, 10:41 am

No. Please. Enough stadiums

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 4th, 2014, 10:51 am

If it's privately financed, I don't care.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Farmers Market Soccer Stadium

Postby HuskyGrad » August 4th, 2014, 10:55 am

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3522298.shtml?cat=1
Previously, Bagley has made it clear the Vikings think their new stadium is the place for an MLS team, but sources say McGuire and Pohlad want to build an outdoor soccer stadium next to Target Field in what's known as the farmer's market site. It wouldn't replace the farmer's market; it would be nearby.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 4th, 2014, 11:05 am

I'm more worried about where they want to put it

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 4th, 2014, 11:14 am

I'm more worried about where they want to put it
Why? Seems like an ideal place to me.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 4th, 2014, 11:17 am

How much room are they going to take? Will they want their own parking ramp? Will it take up some of Mary's place? Those are really my main questions, it would be a good spot but I just don't know where these current businesses will go

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 4th, 2014, 11:31 am

I dont think they would need a parking ramp since it is so close to the A Ramp. And if I remember correctly, the plan would be to make the space between this stadium and Target Field basically one big plaza. Very ped freindly to get to the stadium from the ramps.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 4th, 2014, 11:36 am

I guess that makes me feel a bit better that they would add a plaza. I still worry about Mary's Place

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Re: Farmers Market Soccer Stadium

Postby nfschauer » August 4th, 2014, 12:09 pm

I'm all for this, because it has been stated that it would be paid in full without any of the taxpayers spending a dime on it. Also, MLS teams now have soccer specific stadiums aside from the Sounders and a few others. Sure the Vikings Stadium is going to be cool, but MLS teams never get close to filling up stadiums of that size, while they alwayss fill up the soccer specific stadiums. It would also help clean up the farmers market area in the North Loop. I work right by where the proposed site is, and a MLS Stadium would really take a way a lot of the eye sores and old abandoned structures, and clean up the area a bit.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 4th, 2014, 12:59 pm

How many jobs are housed in those 'abandoned buildings'?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » August 4th, 2014, 1:15 pm

If I’m counting correctly, there are 14 soccer-specific MLS stadiums, and only 3 are located near a downtown, and all of those required fairly significant public contributions in order to be built. An entirely private, downtown, soccer-specific stadium would be unprecedented.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » August 4th, 2014, 1:26 pm

If I’m counting correctly, there are 14 soccer-specific MLS stadiums, and only 3 are located near a downtown, and all of those required fairly significant public contributions in order to be built. An entirely private, downtown, soccer-specific stadium would be unprecedented.
My guess is you'll see an application for a site cleanup grant.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 4th, 2014, 1:40 pm

If this were to happen, I'd want to see a pretty substantial plan for redeveloping the entire Farmers Market / West Loop / Royalston Station area, including relocation of the Farmers Market to the Yard/Armory.

That said, can the soccer team really not play at any of our existing stadiums? (TCF, Vikings, Target Field??) I don't care if it's ideal...just can it be done? We are really, embarrassingly bad at this stadium stuff. Huge mistake #1 was approving gobs of state money for TCF Bank Stadium without any discussion of the Vikings stadium needs. That's as shortsighted as it gets. Huge mistake #2 was not moving the T-Wolves to St. Paul, and instead spending $100MM to renovate Target Center when it should have been torn down. The second one is obviously debatable (since the T-Wolves may not have wanted to go to St. Paul and who could blame them), but the Vikings and Gophers not sharing a football stadium is just insane. The metrodome site is literally adjacent to campus, and now directly linked by rail. A separate on-campus stadium is not worth the several hundred millions of dollars in public and student funds.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » August 4th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Yes, ideal or not, I'd rather see the MLS team in the Vikings stadium. If nothing else it adds another 20 days of activity per year to that end of downtown.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 4th, 2014, 1:53 pm

Mistake #2 was preceded by Mistake #2a, which is when the Minneapolis City Council spurned discussions with the NHL expansion team organization back in the late 90s. Apparently they gave up a very easy opportunity to land the NHL expansion team in Mpls, and so instead we ended up with the Xcel hosting the Wild. I've heard a fascinating history about Minneapolis City Council incompetence during that time. Also the time when they decided to instead spend money building Block E and expanding the Convention Center (which hurt its cash flow performance rather than helping it) so it shows you the mentality of that time.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 4th, 2014, 2:01 pm

I guess that makes me feel a bit better that they would add a plaza. I still worry about Mary's Place
Mary's place wouldn't be going anywhere without also getting a huge chunk of money... their current set up isn't exactly urban either so it would be nice if they could re format for free too. it's too easy to associate a business with a specific location and they aren't co dependent

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » August 4th, 2014, 2:01 pm

The Farmer's Market site could serve as a venue to expand the Basilica Block Party and a possible venue to move Soundset back into the city.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » August 4th, 2014, 2:03 pm

I stand corrected with the whole 'abandoned buildings and empty lots' thing. I thought if it were built it would be in a location with just concrete parking lots, but looks like it would be here:

http://www.mls4mn.com/wp-content/upload ... age_29.jpg