Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Re: Major League Soccer in Minnesota

Postby holmstar » August 5th, 2014, 9:23 am

The 2020 partners proposal suggests that an MLS stadium would fit without displacing Mary's place and the farmers market, though a few businesses would have to be bought-out/moved.

http://www.mls4mn.com/minneapolis-farme ... gn=Buffer#

nickmgray
Union Depot

Re: Farmers Market Soccer Stadium

Postby nickmgray » August 5th, 2014, 9:57 am

If the team paid for the stadium, they would most likely use it as a practice facility as well. No sense spending extra cash renting another location 3-4 times a week. Yes, a soccer team would only have 18-20 home pages during the season, but the stadium would most likely be chosen over the new Vikings stadium for high school soccer championship games.

I don't like the idea of having another stadium taking up a huge chunk of land in the downtown area, but if it encourages 10,000 - 15,000 metro area residents to come into the city an extra 20 times a year, I do think it'll have a positive impact on the city.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » August 5th, 2014, 10:56 am

I'd rather see the Parade Stadium site upgraded/used as a combined municipal stadium/MLS facility. And it would add a destination to the Van White LRT station

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 5th, 2014, 11:40 am

Seems like it would be a nightmare to have a soccer stadium at Royalston if a soccer game and a baseball game ever let out at the same time.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 5th, 2014, 12:28 pm

And that's why they'd never schedule that to happen!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 5th, 2014, 1:16 pm

rock the garden isnt allowed to run past 10 or 10:30. i'm sure that neigbhorhood would welcome a soccer stadium. this is such a parochial metro it's comical.

the stadium's have been or are being built so this whining is just more typical sour grapes. i suggest a move to a smaller town. i don't know how some people who post here would function in a chicago or new york. a privately financed soccer stadium... the horrors!

there hasn't been any plan presented and mn united havn't come forward formally to state anything but already the bitching.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 5th, 2014, 1:24 pm

So basically where I put it. Sweet.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » August 5th, 2014, 2:24 pm

If the team paid for the stadium, they would most likely use it as a practice facility as well. No sense spending extra cash renting another location 3-4 times a week. Yes, a soccer team would only have 18-20 home pages during the season, but the stadium would most likely be chosen over the new Vikings stadium for high school soccer championship games.
Minnesota United FC is currently developing their training facilities in Woodbury.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 5th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Just so it doesn't wall off Farmer's Market from the station. I'm good with their proposed siting.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » August 8th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Minnesota United FC is currently developing their training facilities in Woodbury.
I'm not sure it'd stay there if an MLS franchise were awarded, though. Although it isn't that uncommon for sports teams to use separate practice facilities.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 23rd, 2014, 10:37 am

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_26 ... source=rss

So this doesn't look like it will be happening at least anytime in the next few years.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 23rd, 2014, 12:10 pm

So this doesn't look like it will be happening at least anytime in the next few years.
The agreement between the vikings and the stadium authority doesn't really change anything. It just means the vikings are still interested.
Towns!

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » August 23rd, 2014, 1:02 pm

The agreement between the vikings and the stadium authority doesn't really change anything. It just means the vikings are still interested.
Exactly it's the Vikings creating smoke. Basically means they can go around saying they have a stadium deal "officially."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 23rd, 2014, 1:28 pm

Like baseball, soccer is better when watched outdoors than in an enclosed stadium.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » October 3rd, 2014, 8:56 pm

Something related to the potential stadium. http://finance-commerce.com/2014/10/sta ... evelopers/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » October 3rd, 2014, 9:20 pm

This is the empty grassy space right next to the new TFS, correct?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 4th, 2014, 9:01 am

I remember saying this a year ago, but especially in light of the past six months NFL disasters, we may want to wait a minute before building a soccer specific stadium.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 4th, 2014, 10:14 am

I remember saying this a year ago, but especially in light of the past six months NFL disasters, we may want to wait a minute before building a soccer specific stadium.
Getting any public money for a soccar stadium when there are plenty in Blaine would be a blood bath. Especially if the "You know who's" are involved. Think they got the last of the public support used up last year!!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » October 4th, 2014, 10:50 am

They should just plan on using the U of M TCF field - I'm sure leasing it for the season would be a tiny fraction not the cost of a new soccer stadium...

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 4th, 2014, 10:54 am

Getting any public money for a soccar stadium when there are plenty in Blaine would be a blood bath. Especially if the "You know who's" are involved. Think they got the last of the public support used up last year!!
While I think you are right about the use of any public money, your point on the soccer fields in Blaine is off. You effectively compared a neighborhood baseball field to Target Field, while they are both baseball fields the similarities end about there. Same thing with the the fields at NSC and a MLS Stadium, both soccer pitches but the similarities end about there.