Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Re: Farmers Market Soccer Stadium

Postby holmstar » October 4th, 2014, 11:08 am

Everything that's been published thus far has stated that no public money would be sought for a soccer specific stadium, so let's not get into the public funding discussion again.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » October 4th, 2014, 9:19 pm

I would gather we won't hear anything until after election season. So that even if the public involvement is infrastructure in the Farmers Market, it doesn't become an election issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 7th, 2014, 11:00 am

Yes, and then the champion of the project will say the referendum on the issue will come when they run for re-election, and then they won't run for re-election.

Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Major League Soccer in Minnesota

Postby Didier » October 8th, 2014, 2:25 pm

This is really picking up momentum.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/ ... rby-county

Cliff Notes:
SI.com reports that the Pohlads and Glen Taylor now appear to be involved with Minnesota United. MLS executives were recently in Minneapolis meeting with both potential ownership groups. Apparently the Vikings need to know if they are getting a team sooner than later, because it will affect the construction of the stadium. And, finally, if a North Loop stadium location doesn't work out, a MOA-adjacent stadium is a possibility.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » October 8th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Some news concerning MLS in Minnesota.
http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/ ... rby-county

MLS Officials visited Minnesota Sept 22nd and 23rd.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » October 8th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Will be very interesting to see how this plays out, and which owner will be awarded the franchise.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 8th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Is there some MLS rule on hairstyles? Or is it just some rich old dude style?
<<rhetorical>> :lol:

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 8th, 2014, 3:23 pm

My vote is for the Pohlad/Taylor Group. Both are hometown owners.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 8th, 2014, 3:30 pm

My vote is for the Pohlad/Taylor Group. Both are hometown owners.
second. But I'm also for a privately funded open air soccer stadium (duck and cover)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 8th, 2014, 3:34 pm

I suppose we should merge the convo taking place in the downtown thread with this one.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 8th, 2014, 3:36 pm

I'm also for a privately funded open air soccer stadium (duck and cover)
I'm completely in favor of an open air soccer stadium - especially if it helps transform more of the area around the Farmers Market. I really feel like this could be amazing. More housing, more people. I love the idea of making it a more of a destination than it is currently. It's prime IMO.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 8th, 2014, 5:53 pm

One thread is about a potential development, and one is about a potential MLS team. Makes sense to keep them separate.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm

My thoughts on this subject are mixed, but I'll preface them by saying I'm a downtown resident living in laurel villiage. First, MLS absolutely deserves a home in Minnesota and MN united has more than earned their spot as our state's representative in the Major leagues. I understand the sentiment of wanting to use our $1 Billion new football stadium to its full potential, but I really don't like giving the Wilfs any more control over our entertainment than they have (even though I probably have a more positive view of them than most here).

If another stadium is proposed that is privately financed and close to the LRT, I'll support it no matter where it is. Stadiums + Light rail has been shown to be a huge urban development boost and if a new stadium would replicate only 1/4 of what the Vikings stadium has done it will be a success. For that reason I think it should be either in Bloomington's south loop or preferably in downtown St. Paul at a site like the Sears parking crater west of the Capitol (425 Rice st.). Don't get me wrong, I want more than anybody to see the North Loop west of Target field developed and renewed along with the whole Basset Creek Valley, but I think that will happen anyways due to the entertainment and sports draw that is already so strong in downtown Minneapolis (plus, the whole SWLRT, but lets not side-track this thread too).

Locating another Major sports team in another part of the Metro, especially in St. Paul, is probably better long-term for the region. Now, people will go from all over the region to DTSP year-round for sports, not just during Hockey season. I guess you could call me proud of the fact we're two distinct cities and see the East metro as important as the west, although I'm actually from the western 'burbs. As for Bloomington, I guess I see them as having the greatest potential for becoming our third hub at the bottom of our triangle, like our own version of Arlington TX. Plus, we've had major sports teams there for just as long as we've had them in downtown Minneapolis.

Feel free to rip this to shreds. I really don't see a bad outcome in all of these scenarios.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 8th, 2014, 11:07 pm

I Was thinking actually that Snelling and university redevelopment could be a good place for a soccer stadium.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 8th, 2014, 11:13 pm

One thread is about a potential development, and one is about a potential MLS team. Makes sense to keep them separate.
Most of the conversation over there was about the team not the stadium until just recently

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 8th, 2014, 11:28 pm

I'm also for a privately funded open air soccer stadium (duck and cover)
I'm completely in favor of an open air soccer stadium - especially if it helps transform more of the area around the Farmers Market. I really feel like this could be amazing. More housing, more people. I love the idea of making it a more of a destination than it is currently. It's prime IMO.
A privately funded stadium sounds like a win win to me as well. Although I really hope they would develop some long term plans on creating inviting streets or pathways to the proposed stadium. What about using the existing Bike trail from south of the Target Field at 7th to about Glenwood? They could build a 4-6 ft. grand walking path equipped with stairs and an elevator to allow people to switch between skyway, street, and trail levels. Is it just me or does the bridges seem like a big barrier? Perhaps It's just me and I need to venture beyond downtown more. Sure a skyway would greatly benefit the stadium with direct access from the parking ramp. Yet, they gotta be planning to improve the walkability to the site right? If so what do you think is the best route or option to achieve this? Maybe I'm just complaining to much? Thoughts?

Also do many people view the Metro in a East or West manner? I always viewed it as more North or South.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » October 9th, 2014, 6:44 am

ACS, very good argument.

As a huge football fan, and a one time huge Vikings fan, I cannot stand the Wilf's. I want nothing more than for them to sell the team to a local group that can be respected. They have done so much wrong, I dont even know where to begin. They drove one of their biggest fans away, and it will be tough to get me back. So I personally do not want them to run a MLS franchise.

Regarding the site. If public money were in play, then we can dictate where to put the stadium. But as long as it is privately financed, I say let them decide where they want it. It would be cool to have it in downtown St Paul, but still love the idea of it being at the Farmer's Market site.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » October 9th, 2014, 7:12 am

I Was thinking actually that Snelling and university redevelopment could be a good place for a soccer stadium.
I agree, but the site was eliminated to already progressing development plans for the site.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 9th, 2014, 7:37 am

What about the Midway site, former home to the St. Paul Saints? Or is that location just considered awful? I personally LOVED watching all of the trains choo-choo back and forth! :P

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2014, 7:40 am

I agree, but the site was eliminated to already progressing development plans for the site.
I understand but if the pohlad family walked up and offered the city and current land owners a big fat wad, anything is possible.