Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
twincitizen

Re: Farmers Market Soccer Stadium

Postby twincitizen » October 9th, 2014, 8:29 am

The latest article I read suggested that Farmer's Market was the preference, but they would also consider a South Loop (Bloomington) site. McGuire/Taylor/Pohlads are all westsiders, so they probably aren't considering St. Paul as much, though I agree that the Sears parking lot wouldn't be bad at all. You could put the soccer stadium along the freeway edge (less attractive to residential development), buffering the remainder of the site and making it more attractive to development moving north towards University.

I'm not sold on the Farmer's Market site unless it is part of a master planned redevelopment of that whole Royalston Station area. Everything there today (besides Mary's Place / Sharing & Caring Hands) should be relocated out of the area...possibly including the Farmers Market itself.

bus14
Block E

Postby bus14 » October 9th, 2014, 8:34 am

I don't think MN United FC are that oppposed to the east side of the metro. They are partnering with Woodbury to use the Bielenberg Sports Center as their training facility after all.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 9th, 2014, 8:36 am

Ok, I've had this crazy idea regarding stadium design, and I think a soccer stadium (with smaller crowds) in Snelling/University (a dynamic revitalizing neighborhood) could be the right spot. Why don't we design stadiums to be a little more integrated into their environment? You know, ringed by mixed use, but integrated into the structure? Stadium bowls are such a weird shape that seem to waste a lot of space, and also create a lot of blank walls. Remember how the dome's upper deck cantilevered over the sidewalk? Why not ring stadiums like we ideally ring parking ramps?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2014, 9:38 am

Ok, I've had this crazy idea regarding stadium design, and I think a soccer stadium (with smaller crowds) in Snelling/University (a dynamic revitalizing neighborhood) could be the right spot. Why don't we design stadiums to be a little more integrated into their environment? You know, ringed by mixed use, but integrated into the structure? Stadium bowls are such a weird shape that seem to waste a lot of space, and also create a lot of blank walls. Remember how the dome's upper deck cantilevered over the sidewalk? Why not ring stadiums like we ideally ring parking ramps?
That's what i was thinking put the stadium at a 45 degree angle and out in retail and restaurant and hotel on the corners bringing in a bunch of things the redevelopment for the area already wanted.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 9th, 2014, 9:45 am

TCF Bank Stadium does this in the most minute way possible, there's a Goldy's Gameroom in one corner. I don't know if it's used in any way on game days for people moving, but there is event space in the area along University. Obviously most of it doesn't face the street, but it goes to show that there is space there that could be opened up for retail or whatever.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 9th, 2014, 11:24 am

It seems pretty clear to me that one of the big reasons that the Pohlads and Glen Taylor are interested as investors in a potential soccer stadium at the Farmer's Market site is because it will make their existing nearby investments more valuable.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » October 9th, 2014, 11:30 am

Exellent point. It might even be the case that their investment is contingent upon a Farmer’s Market location. If McGuire wants the team elsewhere, Pohlad and Taylor may just tell him he's on his own.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 9th, 2014, 11:57 am

Could it be that Stadium owners prefer them to stand alone to have their unique design shown on advertisements and tv shows to help market the brand? From a business viewpoint integration be dammed right? Hiding your stadium behind residential and office towers may help greatly reduce dead zones, however don't the businesses believe they loose value? Don't get me wrong I would have loved to see several mid sized towers connected to the back side of the Vikings Stadium, where fans could live just feet away from where their favorite team plays! Heck even a tall enough tower could look down into the stadium sure would be a neat feature. There has to be some business reason they don't suggest wrapping these stadiums with office, retail, and residential space cause they sure would have an opportunity to make a lot more money.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 9th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Because in 30 (or 20!) years when the stadium is "obsolete" it's going to be a lot harder to get rid of it when it's ringed in productive uses.

/cynicism
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 9th, 2014, 8:51 pm

What you are describing sounds really similar to what the Detroit Red Wings are doing with there new arena. At it's core their new arena has the bowl in the center which is surrounded by a concourse covered by glass. And on the outside of the concourse are new multi-use buildings facing the the street. The Illitch's(owner's of the Tigers & Red Wings among other Detroit properties) are doing some really cool things that in Detroit trying to revitalize downtown in particular, I would encourage people to check it out what they are doing.

gobezlij
City Center

Postby gobezlij » October 9th, 2014, 9:49 pm

A local example of apartments (dorms) in the walls of a stadium, right on Snelling: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9351601 ... SuqX4A!2e0
Because in 30 (or 20!) years when the stadium is "obsolete" it's going to be a lot harder to get rid of it when it's ringed in productive uses.

/cynicism
Truth. Ringing a stadium in productive uses could make it even easier to convert the stands, concourses, etc. to a better use when the sport moves away (rather than the preferred demolish and rebuild). See what was done with Arsenal's old Highbury Stadium when the club moved to more extravagant digs: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/galler ... re-arsenal

Indianapolis has its own example of stadium conversion: http://www.coreredevelopment.com/apartm ... ium-lofts/

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 9th, 2014, 10:00 pm

What you are describing sounds really similar to what the Detroit Red Wings are doing with there new arena. At it's core their new arena has the bowl in the center which is surrounded by a concourse covered by glass. And on the outside of the concourse are new multi-use buildings facing the the street. The Illitch's(owner's of the Tigers & Red Wings among other Detroit properties) are doing some really cool things that in Detroit trying to revitalize downtown in particular, I would encourage people to check it out what they are doing.
Wow! Just checked out some design pictures thanks for sharing that info! That is just what I was thinking instead except a few taller towers so people could see into the stadium, for a premium price of course!

http://www.mls4mn.com/wp-content/upload ... 24x791.jpg

The layout of the Soccer Stadium might suggest residents could see into the stadium. Which sure would be a neat feature right? Imagine being able to watch soccer games on TV while still being able to look out your window or balcony and seeing it all upfront. Is that a feature to many apartments or condos in other cities?

Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Major League Soccer in Minnesota

Postby Didier » October 12th, 2014, 9:13 am

According to Sid:
Glen Taylor, owner of the Timberwolves and the Star Tribune, said he recently attended a meeting of local businessmen, with Mark Abbott, president and deputy commissioner of Major League Soccer. Taylor was there not as a potential future owner, but rather to encourage soccer officials that the Twin Cities would be a great area for MLS expansion.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » October 30th, 2014, 4:30 pm

More details:

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/10/30 ... ls-stadium

“sources familiar with the group's search said the site is an eight-acre commercial property sandwiched between Hennepin Energy Recovery Center, Sharing and Caring Hands and The Fish Guys”

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » October 30th, 2014, 6:24 pm

I would prefer this be built near MOA instead of taking up downtown land that will soon be desirable due to its proximity to SWLRT and downtown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 30th, 2014, 6:26 pm

Eh. Eight acres isn't that much, really. Think of it as making the remaining land even more desirable.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

jennifat
City Center

Postby jennifat » October 30th, 2014, 9:03 pm

I would prefer this be built near MOA instead of taking up downtown land that will soon be desirable due to its proximity to SWLRT and downtown.
There is still so much developable land everywhere in downtown Minneapolis and this particular site is in such a nasty, decrepit area that I think it would be advantageous for the city to put something big here that will encourage even more development. I also like the idea that all of our region's major stadiums/arenas are on or within mere blocks of a light rail line; I think it's important that our major attractions be readily accessible by mass transit.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 30th, 2014, 9:30 pm

There is still so much developable land everywhere in downtown Minneapolis and this particular site is in such a nasty, decrepit area that I think it would be advantageous for the city to put something big here that will encourage even more development. I also like the idea that all of our region's major stadiums/arenas are on or within mere blocks of a light rail line; I think it's important that our major attractions be readily accessible by mass transit.
You nailed it on the head! Only negative could be that the Northstar is a bit of a walk from this location, but provided they create a nice walking path it could greatly overcome that challange. Of course people could transfer to LRT for the short distance once the SWLRT is built. Depending on the existing parking structures also decreases the need for more parking. Even with the Vikings stadium on the other side of town it seems pretty realistic to think people will be able to park in A B or C ramp and use the skyway to reach the stadium. If they are telling the truth and can fun it 100% by themselves we should all be rolling out the red carpet for a sports team that is self-sufficient!

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » October 30th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Arsenal's stadium in London is closely surrounded by new housing. Some of the advertisements for new construction was aimed at fans.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » October 31st, 2014, 8:35 am

Arsenal's stadium in London is closely surrounded by new housing. Some of the advertisements for new construction was aimed at fans.
And their old stadium was converted into housing.