Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
Jacobean
Block E

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis

Postby Jacobean » March 26th, 2015, 8:06 am

EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, hell even MX Liga are great soccer leagues that offer real competition between teams. The MLS on the otherhand it a contrived poser, American soccer fans deserve better.
This is laughable. The "real competition" in the European leagues is which of the two or three rich teams will win the league that year, and which of the 18 other teams will be mediocre enough to not get relegated.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 26th, 2015, 8:55 am

Good article on the stadium, the site, and Minnesota soccer: http://finance-commerce.com/2015/03/soc ... by-july-1/

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » March 26th, 2015, 11:06 am

The MLS is obsessed with superficially mimicking European power teams (Real, FC, United, Sporting) it shows weakness and it's unimaginative.
I have to agree with you here. Some of the those names make me cringe and I also think they are unimaginative. But United and FC are prevalent up and down the ranks here in the US and have been for many years. We are going to have an affinity with other English speaking countries regarding club names, like it or not. Plus, the US being what it is, we will always have identity issues.
What was bush league about today were the statements made by the MLS commissioner, shortly after hyping the arrival of a new MLS team, within hours, already threatened the team could move somewhere else if a suitable stadium solution wasn't found. Probably the quickest a team has ever tried to hold a city hostage with their demands.
I didn't like those comments by Garber either. It seems to make the announcement a bit of an non-announcement. I think MLS and McGuire are basically rallying the troops so they can try to get as much as possible, not wanting to leave anything on the table.
My concern is that the MLS does not have a clear path forward. I find it great that they are finding success with a new TV contract - $90 million a year. For perspective the NHL receives about $200 million per year for its TV deal. MLB $700 million per year, the NBA $2,660 million per year and the NFL $3,000 million. That is not much money for player's salaries in a rapidly expanding league. After years of being mired in financial difficulties they have found a way to stay solvent, pay your players very little. The league is not strong enough to have free agency, a bit of joke if you ask me. A player who wants to negotiate in the MLS cannot even negotiate between teams to get a better deal, all the teams collude to depress player salaries, more accurately the teams are legally one entity. If soccer is about to take off in this country like some have been saying for 50 years, the MLS will not be able to retain talent.
I don't agree with your points here. Ever since the failure of the first NASL, it has always been the objective to slowly build up the soccer infrastructure in the US and that is the reason for the "collusion" by all the teams. The first NASL was top heavy with the Cosmos.

Also, your point about not being able to attract and pay talent doesn't jibe with all the incoming players from Europe (I understand that most of the foreign-born players are on the downward trend of their careers, but they still can play). And MLS is one of the reasons why the US has fewer players in the EPL, according to the author of this article

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 26th, 2015, 11:24 am

Yesterday's entire production was so completely amateur and not becoming of an allegedly major sports league. Actual popular sports in North America have cities and their leaders lined up to welcome expansion or relocated teams. The MLS, despite having many large wealthy markets without a team has basically has to beg for public money for mostly un needed but lucrative soccer specific stadiums to make their business model work.

I have no problem with soccer. I watch the world cup and Euro Finals. I just can't take watching the relatively low skilled The MLS. I really can't stand how the league is marketed. Straight up copying of euro names, fan clubs etc is eye rolling. I see America and Canada as places where immigrants bring their cultures and traditions. Pieces of those traditions slowly meld with and improve American traditions. Copying what fans see on t.v. or bring back from their semester abroad in England isn't in keeping with what has made the country great.

When The MLS fans use fotbol in an English language conservation I can't help but roll my eyes and conclude much of The MLS fandom is Europhile hipsterism.

http://m.kfan.com/onair/the-kfan-bits-p ... y-13442418

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 26th, 2015, 11:39 am

Eye roll at the suggestion that food trucks, craft brews, Red Wing Shoes, etc. are a millennial thing.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » March 26th, 2015, 11:53 am

I don't agree with your points here. Ever since the failure of the first NASL, it has always been the objective to slowly build up the soccer infrastructure in the US and that is the reason for the "collusion" by all the teams. The first NASL was top heavy with the Cosmos.

Also, your point about not being able to attract and pay talent doesn't jibe with all the incoming players from Europe (I understand that most of the foreign-born players are on the downward trend of their careers, but they still can play). And MLS is one of the reasons why the US has fewer players in the EPL, according to the author of this article
I see the problem to be that the league wants to act big time. Like when David Beckham signed a "$250 million dollar deal" with LA. Sportscenter talked about for a few days and he maybe put some fans in the seats. The reality of the situation was the contract was worth no where near $250 million, it was a marketing ploy to make the league seem more bigtime. I'd imagine that's the $100 million expansion fee as well, smoke and mirrors. Signing players (Kaka) past their prime was something the NASL (Pele) was prone to do as well.

Most can see right through this type chicanery. Top talent from this country isn't going to bother with soccer. Odell Beckham Jr who won NFL offensive rookie of the year was a top USMNT youth prospect. What sport did the undeniably fast and hyper coordinated athlete choose to play? His first big payday will likely rake in an annual salary that more than most MLS team's payrolls.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 26th, 2015, 12:14 pm

If you follow the league closely (as I did at the time), the David Beckham experiment was actually a major turning point for the league.

Yes, the league over-hyped his first season, and his second season was a disaster on the field. But since 2007 the league has expanded, gotten a real TV deal, built several stadiums, raised salaries and really improved the level of play. Of course you can't give Beckham credit for all of that, but his arrival definitely gave the league a boost.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » March 26th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Whether the contract was inflated or not, Beckham still left Europe for the US. He didn't come for free. Yes, many foreign-born players who come over are past their prime, but we have many US-born players who are opting for MLS, Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey being the 2 biggest examples.

Regarding Odell Beckham Jr., this is a fitting comment from a reader of an article about his soccer skills:
"I also stopped playing soccer competitively around age 15, but if I would have stuck with it, I think I would have turned into a Messi type player."

I don't doubt he was a great player during his tween years (although I don't really have any proof of it) and probably still is really good. But to say that he simultaneously weighed his pros and cons as a 14 year-old about playing soccer and chose an NFL career, requires some time travel in my mind.

There are a lot of really good 14 year-olds who get calls from the US development programs, but just like in many sports, there's a lot of development that needs to happen before a star is made.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 26th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Jaromir mentioning Kaka prompted me to give ole Kaka a Google. There's an The MLS franchise called Orlando City. Lol.

Jacobean
Block E

Postby Jacobean » March 26th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Signing players (Kaka) past their prime was something the NASL (Pele) was prone to do as well.
Its also what the Premier League did in the 80s and 90s when Italy's Seria A was the top league in the world. Where is the Premier League now? Didn't you just cite it above as an example of "real competitive soccer"?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » March 26th, 2015, 1:38 pm

Premier League did not exist until 1992... It formed to take advantage of lucrative television contracts, something that the MLS need not worry about.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 26th, 2015, 1:39 pm

It should be noted that during David Beckham's tenure in MLS, he went on loan to two of the biggest teams in Europe, and he was going to play on England's World Cup team before being injured. So he was past his prime, but he could still play.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » March 26th, 2015, 5:55 pm

The MLS, despite having many large wealthy markets without a team has basically has to beg for public money for mostly un needed but lucrative soccer specific stadiums to make their business model work.
It's the most American thing about this. Get the taxpayers to boost your profits!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 26th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Jaromir mentioning Kaka prompted me to give ole Kaka a Google. There's an The MLS franchise called Orlando City. Lol.
lol omg like!
Towns!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 26th, 2015, 6:46 pm

I'd imagine that's the $100 million expansion fee as well, smoke and mirrors.
If you want to be taken seriously -- stop imagining and deal with facts.
Towns!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » March 26th, 2015, 6:48 pm

Yesterday's entire production was so completely amateur and not becoming of an allegedly major sports league. Actual popular sports in North America have cities and their leaders lined up to welcome expansion or relocated teams. The MLS, despite having many large wealthy markets without a team has basically has to beg for public money for mostly un needed but lucrative soccer specific stadiums to make their business model work.

I have no problem with soccer. I watch the world cup and Euro Finals. I just can't take watching the relatively low skilled The MLS. I really can't stand how the league is marketed. Straight up copying of euro names, fan clubs etc is eye rolling. I see America and Canada as places where immigrants bring their cultures and traditions. Pieces of those traditions slowly meld with and improve American traditions. Copying what fans see on t.v. or bring back from their semester abroad in England isn't in keeping with what has made the country great.

When The MLS fans use fotbol in an English language conservation I can't help but roll my eyes and conclude much of The MLS fandom is Europhile hipsterism.

http://m.kfan.com/onair/the-kfan-bits-p ... y-13442418
you come off as an angry old man. you obviously spend little time knowing about the league you go to great lengths to put down.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 26th, 2015, 7:10 pm

you come off as an angry old man. you obviously spend little time knowing about the league you go to great lengths to put down.
I'm actually a few months younger than Kaka so, yes, old by professional sports standards.

I actually did laugh out loud when I a saw Kaka played for some thing called The MLS Orlando City. Manchester City might have made a statement or at least made sense given the sectarian and class divides of late 19th century England. Applied to a place in America that can hardly be called a city is straight up silly and laughable.

GoodDaySunshine
Block E

Postby GoodDaySunshine » March 26th, 2015, 7:46 pm

The MLS, despite having many large wealthy markets without a team has basically has to beg for public money for mostly un needed but lucrative soccer specific stadiums to make their business model work.
I know an NFL team who had to beg for a 1/2 billion $ of public money despite the fact that LA, the 2nd largest and wealthiest market in the US, doesn't have a football team. The NFL seems to think they need subsidies as well.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 26th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Orlando metropolitan population (2010): 2,134,411
Greater Manchester Built-Up Area population (2011): 2,553,379
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 26th, 2015, 8:07 pm

I know Orlando is big. I was getting at its distinctly suburban build form. It's a city the same way Lakeville is.