Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis

Postby Didier » June 3rd, 2015, 9:26 am

http://www.startribune.com/no-martinis- ... 305916971/
Frey also has had frequent contact with the group that wants to build a soccer stadium. He has been one of the biggest boosters for a stadium just north of downtown, though he’s quick to add that it has to be a good deal for the city. “The devil is in the details,” he said.

A new stadium could fill a void in an area of the city that leaders have tried to fill for decades.

“That’s the biggest thing,” Frey said. “For all intents and purposes, the area is a gully. This area has been stagnant for 50 years. When you try something for over 50 years and it doesn’t work, you try something else.”

Frey thinks there is a way to structure a deal with the soccer group, which includes William McGuire and the owner of this newspaper, to make it palatable to the majority of the council and perhaps even the mayor, who has repeatedly said she wouldn’t support city financing.

“I would bet on it happening,” said Frey. “This is not the Vikings stadium.”

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 3rd, 2015, 9:32 am

Nick do you want to do that every year? Because the issue with the property taxes isn't about a one-time capital costs, it's about operating margin year after year.

In any case, compared to the other stadium debates the amount is pretty trivial, but it does make a difference when the entire MLS venture is operating on such thin margins. The amount St. Paul and Ramsey county sunk into a field for a minor league baseball club would be enough to make this whole MLS issue go away for over 20 years.

Now, if you guys really want to see a royal screwing in progress, I suggest you tune in to our Eastern neighbors as they try and keep the Bucks in Milwaukee.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 3rd, 2015, 4:56 pm

http://northernpitch.com/articles.html/ ... tions-r326

So Frey and MN United President Nick Rogers held a community meeting today. Northern Pitch took some notes (Disclaimer: very pro-stadium group)

New Tidbits:
Chuck Lutz- deputy director of planning and econ. development- was there and obviously supports the stadium

Lutz, and vis-a-vis the city, is the one who suggested the stadium site 2 years ago

Extending the entertainment sales tax district will net roughly 2.5MM a year directly to the city, while property taxes get divvied up between the city, county, and state.

State Rep Dehn (DFL) supports the stadium but says the legislature would need to act and the chances of that are slim in a special session

MN united doesn't plan any additional parking structures and wants to leverage the ABC ramps and LRT :D :D :D

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 4th, 2015, 7:07 am

http://northernpitch.com/articles.html/ ... tions-r326

So Frey and MN United President Nick Rogers held a community meeting today. Northern Pitch took some notes (Disclaimer: very pro-stadium group)

New Tidbits:
Chuck Lutz- deputy director of planning and econ. development- was there and obviously supports the stadium

Lutz, and vis-a-vis the city, is the one who suggested the stadium site 2 years ago

Extending the entertainment sales tax district will net roughly 2.5MM a year directly to the city, while property taxes get divvied up between the city, county, and state.

State Rep Dehn (DFL) supports the stadium but says the legislature would need to act and the chances of that are slim in a special session

MN united doesn't plan any additional parking structures and wants to leverage the ABC ramps and LRT :D :D :D
I read the article and it seems like I can support this IF they locate it directly adjacent to the overpass and leave the area closest to the Royalston station for other development.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 4th, 2015, 9:47 am

^I tend to agree with that.

I'm totally on board with a soccer stadium in the area, but not on the exact site MN United has under contract. I want the stadium pushed up against the I-94 viaducts and Lyndale, creating developable space as you head towards the LRT station. They (MN United and the city) need to do some property acquisition and land swapping to make this a truly great deal.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 4th, 2015, 9:55 am

So you want them to raze the farmer's market then? Because that's what's directly west of the site and up against the freeway. If you want it up against the freeway then the stadium needs to be farther north, much farther walking distance from the entertainment district and likely needing it's own parking ramp since it's so far from ABC. You could also swap the farmer's market and the stadium site, but that doesn't leave you much if any develop able space between the stadium and the core like you want.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 4th, 2015, 4:30 pm

So you want them to raze the farmer's market then? Because that's what's directly west of the site and up against the freeway. If you want it up against the freeway then the stadium needs to be farther north, much farther walking distance from the entertainment district and likely needing it's own parking ramp since it's so far from ABC. You could also swap the farmer's market and the stadium site, but that doesn't leave you much if any develop able space between the stadium and the core like you want.
It's not a slam dunk but I'd like to see the soccer stadium occupy the site of the Farmer's Market. I haven't looked at it extensively so I haven't studied the distance from the A, B and C ramps but let's just say that it *seems* like those lots are close enough to be useful. People park further away than that for Vikings games (historically) and Twins games, etc.

It seems like the parking under the overpass and lots adjacent to IMS could serve the "VIP" crowd just fine.

I may be in the minority here but I think the current Farmer's Market location/buildings are pretty terrible. We can do better as a city. Before I get blasted by the "equity" crowd, I'm not lobbying for a move away from "the North side." I would love to see the Farmer's Market moved to become a CENTERPIECE of development on the North side and I could probably think of some sites if I was pushed.

If the market MUST be in this area I could definitely see it located closer to the Royalston station and other development occur around the station and farmer's market and fill in the zone between the station/market and the stadium.

Long story longer, I think handing the soccer guys the best developable land and leaving the dregs for other development is EXACTLY the opposite of what we should be doing with this area.

It's not a direct analog but look at the new Vikings stadium location - imagine if that much real estate had been approved/provisioned at "The Commons" and everything else was meant to react to it instead of putting the stadium at the periphery up against the highways and leaving room for other projects and an opportunity for meaningful green space.

I have Gopher football tickets and for a while I parked in a West Bank ramp (because it was cheap) and took a shuttle (free). It seems like there are plenty of ways to use the A, B, C ramps.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » June 4th, 2015, 5:16 pm

I have Gopher football tickets and for a while I parked in a West Bank ramp (because it was cheap) and took a shuttle (free). It seems like there are plenty of ways to use the A, B, C ramps.
No Archiapolis. Haven't you heard anyone interested in soccer is a Europhile hipster. We would ride our bikes to the new stadium without obeying traffic laws or flintstoning our selves wearing chukkas. Please...

/s

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 4th, 2015, 9:33 pm

I may be in the minority here but I think the current Farmer's Market location/buildings are pretty terrible. We can do better as a city. Before I get blasted by the "equity" crowd, I'm not lobbying for a move away from "the North side." I would love to see the Farmer's Market moved to become a CENTERPIECE of development on the North side and I could probably think of some sites if I was pushed.
Well, this member of the equity crowd agrees with everything you've written, even before you wrote it. Don't assume too much. :)

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 5th, 2015, 6:54 am

No Archiapolis. Haven't you heard anyone interested in soccer is a Europhile hipster. We would ride our bikes to the new stadium without obeying traffic laws or flintstoning our selves wearing chukkas. Please...

/s
Oh man, that sucks.

I went to a United game recently with my wife and 7 year old and met some friends and their kids for a family friendly, affordable sporting event.

Also, we drove our SUV from Minneapolis instead of biking to Blaine (or wherever that "stadium" is currently).

I didn't know that there was a profile I was supposed to meet. Oh well, time to start watching MMA and lobbying for a taxpayer subsidized stadium for that I guess.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 5th, 2015, 6:59 am

Well, this member of the equity crowd agrees with everything you've written, even before you wrote it. Don't assume too much. :)

Serious question: Does McGuire's group own this prime land that they intend to build this stadium on? I just need to understand why it seems to be a foregone conclusion that they get to build on this site? Do they have a purchase agreement in or do they have it under contract? Does the city not own any of the land in question?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » June 5th, 2015, 7:08 am

For being someone who fervently rails against mediocrity I found this shocking.
I have Gopher football tickets

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 5th, 2015, 8:16 am

For being someone who fervently rails against mediocrity I found this shocking.
I have Gopher football tickets
Hahahaha! <knockout punch> =^]

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 5th, 2015, 8:45 am

Whoa, hey now. That is below the belt!!!

But seriously, might want to start watching them again if you think they are mediocre!

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » June 5th, 2015, 8:54 am

I watch them all the time, and I make to a game a year. The Gophers may be ascendant but they haven't won a Big10 title in 47 years.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 5th, 2015, 9:08 am

Very true. I have been thru the Wacker and Brewster years.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » June 5th, 2015, 9:14 am

Serious question: Does McGuire's group own this prime land that they intend to build this stadium on? I just need to understand why it seems to be a foregone conclusion that they get to build on this site? Do they have a purchase agreement in or do they have it under contract? Does the city not own any of the land in question?
Yes. They have an option to purchase this property.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 5th, 2015, 9:53 am

Yes. They have an option to purchase this property.
I'm not a real estate guy. What does it take to get an "option to purchase" a property? I assume this "option" is contingent on a stadium approval. Who owns the property in question? Does the city have ANY say over this?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 5th, 2015, 11:53 am

There is some city or county traffic building next to the FM that they would have to acquire or raise to get the stadium bowl to fit. It is about equal with where the street at the North end of the FM borders.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » June 5th, 2015, 12:16 pm

There is some city or county traffic building next to the FM that they would have to acquire or raise to get the stadium bowl to fit. It is about equal with where the street at the North end of the FM borders.
It is not necessary to acquire that property.