Welcome to UrbanMSP!

Historical Topics - Archives
Nick
Capella Tower

Welcome to UrbanMSP!

Postby Nick » June 4th, 2012, 11:45 am

Hey gang,

So I think things are pretty much up and running the way we want them to be now. From what I can tell, quoting, editing, and all the other stuff is worked out. You can either upload attachments or link to photos on your own hosting programs. I also set up a rank thing by post count, if you want a specific thing under your username, PM me and I can change it manually. It starts out with Block E and Metrodome, etc, and works up to some of our nicer buildings and landmarks :).

If you have any technical issues, please submit them to us in the Administration Forum. If you have any logo ideas, post them here for everyone to take a look at. I'd advise probably a blue and white color scheme of some kind to go with the rest of the site, but I'm pretty crappy at design so I'll leave it up to everyone else :).

If you want, introduce yourself here in this thread. Not mandatory at all, but I know some folks like to do that.

On a personal note, I think that 95 percent of us would enjoy it if we kept the banter on here a step above the StarTribune comment section and some of the sketchier personal attacks that happened on the old site, particularly in the Vikings stadium thread. Make whatever point you want, it's America, but don't throw in personal insults just for the fun of it--especially because most of us have never actually met each other. And as I've said a bunch of times, I work for the man now and so while the site is registered in my name, try to resist bringing City Council members' physical appearances into a discussion about Conditional Use Permits. Not necessary. I think there's a certain quality this site has when we're all civil. No one from Ryan or Opus is going to wander in here and get interested in the conversation after reading page after page of circular arguments about fascism on a development website.

That said, I'm really excited that we have this going again! It's great to have a group of like-minded people keeping track of everything that's going on in our awesome metro area.

Thanks,
Nick
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Welcome to UrbanMSP!

Postby Nick » June 5th, 2012, 9:27 pm

This still looks pretty sad (it could use a logo), but here's the Facebook page for the new site as well:

http://www.facebook.com/urbanMSP
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » June 5th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Liked and liked. :)

retiredbanker
City Center

Postby retiredbanker » June 5th, 2012, 11:15 pm

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you Nick for your time & effort to develop this website. I was always amazed at the conversation from the Minnescraper community, only to find that many of those knowledgeable & talented individuals have become members of this site. I truly look forward to reading what everyone has to contribute. I may have retired 5+ yrs. ago and been involved in all facets of the finance business, however, I'm smart enough to know that I don't know everything. And that I learn each & everyday from everyone that contributes to the conversations. Thank you again for creating this site for all of us to learn & converse.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » June 7th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Ditto. I had been reading and enjoying these threads for some time before I braved up the courage to try and contribute something of use to them. Having the conversation completely shut down was a big disappointment. So as retiredbanker stated, Thank you for getting us up and running again!

pfreyre
City Center

Postby pfreyre » June 10th, 2012, 7:37 pm

I too would like to thank Nick for his time, effort and energy dedicated to making this happen. I think this is a pretty unique site, and I'm very pleased to see people preserving it and carrying it forward.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 6th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Shawn had a $50 credit for Facebook Ads, so I put one together for the site and it ought to be running on Facebook. It used a dollar worth of credit in about five hours today, so not sure how long that will last. I "targeted" it to the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul and the surrounding ten miles. Let me know if you see it!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 18th, 2012, 9:41 pm

We hit 10,000 posts sometime today. Wowzers.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 27th, 2012, 5:58 pm

One of our users (mattaudio) has started writing in our news section, which you can find at urbanmsp.com/news. We may start having more contributors there in the future. No decisions anytime soon--Shawn, our fearless administrator, is out of the country. I don't want it to be too distracting from the overall site, but it's handy to have a place to do some news aggregating and editorializing :).
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 31st, 2012, 5:39 pm

Happy New Year! Today is the forum's six month anniversary. In that time, we've had 387 members post 12,962 times in 465 different topics, along with over 19,000 unique visitors and over 1.6 million pageviews.

Right now, there are thousands of new housing units under construction across Minneapolis and St. Paul, heavy construction on the Green Line is officially wrapped up, and there's much more to come. 2013 is going to be great.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 10th, 2013, 10:51 am

One of the best promotional videos of our metropolitan region. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDH5il6FFiM

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » March 8th, 2013, 7:55 pm

FYI UrbanMSP is now on Twitter. Follow @UrbanMSP.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 27th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Our daily visitor count more than doubled from Monday to Tuesday, from about 1,200 to over 2,500. Anyone know what's up with that? Did a Finance and Commerce article get published about us that no one here noticed? Or is it related to that crazy Internet war thing?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » March 28th, 2013, 12:21 am

A quick Google News search shows a M/SP Business Journal mention from Mar 14, and a Strib mention from Feb 28, but nothing more recent is showing up.

You could always check your Awstats or similar to see if the increase was from US addresses. I imagine that could provide some clarity as to whether they're real users or not.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 31st, 2013, 4:08 pm

Today's the one year anniversary of the forum. At the moment, we have 23,650 posts in 693 topics by 530 users. Wooooo!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]