2013 Minneapolis Municipal Election

Who wanted to be mayor?
MNdible
is great.

Re: 2013 Minneapolis Municipal Elections

Postby MNdible » December 3rd, 2012, 1:32 pm

Tuthill, when asked if she would abide by the DFL endorsement – which she got in 2009 — wasn’t as direct. “I can’t imagine not getting it,” she said. “I am going absolutely from the positive. I am not thinking of the negative. I can’t imagine not getting the DFL endorsement.”

I do have an issue with her challengers (Killian and Bradley) agreeing to drop out if they don't get the endorsement. How many people are going to caucus for a city council election in an odd-year? Like 100? 200? Because that's how many people will decide the election in a ward of ~30,000 if they abide by the DFL nomination. Why do we even allow partisan identification in city elections?
I completely agree. In races like this, where there is going to be very little difference between candidates on policy issues, it makes absolutely no sense to have a small group of politically extreme voters picking winners and losers.

Any thoughts about how ranked choice voting will effect the competitive races?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 3rd, 2012, 6:02 pm

I would say there's a huge difference between Tuthill and Killian on policy issues - she takes a very conservative approach to urban issues (think more regulation, emphasis on volunteerism, opposed to structural change), while he appears to be more of the new school (transportation mode shift, the Richard Florida shit, thinking about climate change). The problem is that the 100-200 people who will decide the election for the most part are not concerned about urban policy, they're old-guard DFL people concerned with old-guard DFL issues - taxing the rich, abortion, etc - that have very little to do with the day-to-day business of the city council.

Tuthill likes to trumpet her small business experience, but she pulled the most anti-business move I've seen at City Hall in quite some time. I'm talking about when she changed the liquor store spacing laws in response to a proposal to open a craft beer store at the corner of 26th & Hennepin - after the entrepreneur had already filed an application. That's what made her opposition to TJ's such thunderous bullshit. I can't think of a single positive action she's taken to make the city work better for businesses or residents. She does, however, do an amazing job of getting out in the community and listening to her constituents, which really is something in her favor.

Has there been a competitive race between two members of the same party for a while?
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 3rd, 2012, 6:34 pm

I would say there's a huge difference between Tuthill and Killian on policy issues - she takes a very conservative approach to urban issues (think more regulation, emphasis on volunteerism, opposed to structural change), while he appears to be more of the new school (transportation mode shift, the Richard Florida shit, thinking about climate change). The problem is that the 100-200 people who will decide the election for the most part are not concerned about urban policy, they're old-guard DFL people concerned with old-guard DFL issues - taxing the rich, abortion, etc - that have very little to do with the day-to-day business of the city council.

Yes, you're right here of course, although I'd argue that the space between Tuthill and Killian even on urban issues isn't really that great. It's not as though Meg is a Champlin property rights zealot or something. My underlying point is that the public would benefit from a vigorous debate on these issues. Do her constituents appreciate what she's done? She claims that she's fighting for the people that she hears, and I'd tend to believe her on that.

By having those not receiving the endorsement drop out, it's a disservice to democracy and to raising the prominence of what really are the important day-to-day decisions that city councilors have to make.
Has there been a competitive race between two members of the same party for a while?
Case in point to my above argument, the last vigorous municipal election that I can think of was the 2005 mayoral race between Rybak and McLaughlin. It was a fantastic, rousing election with great, informative debates.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 3rd, 2012, 7:18 pm

And if what I hear from DFL lore, the DFL refused to endorse either candidate.

I was impressed this last year that someone tried to challenge Phyllis Khan for her State House seat, but since Mike Griffin (the challenger) promised to abide by the nomination, it was decided at the convention and not the ballot box. Though that wasn't even a very good election, it was "How many dumb college kids can I get to Like Mike on Facebook" vs "I've been here for 40 years damnit, sit down and shut up."

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 3rd, 2012, 7:32 pm

As I recall, it was considered a major victory for Rybak to get the convention to not endorse McLaughlin.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 4th, 2012, 2:28 am

And what has she done so wrong? The noise ordinance proposal that people complain about was brought about by concerns from the constituents of the ward. As a catalyst for conversation with business owners, as it was intended to be, it was successful. That stupid brew pub I think we can all live without.
Exactly.

Plus when it comes to trader joes... Most of you are always upset about how the city never sticks to it's guns when it comes to planning and allows businesses/developers to walk all over them. Then when it's TJs and it gets stuck on zoning codes you get all upset. She's sticking to the plan. A plan a bunch of people got a lot of money to make at some point. That store was the most auto centric suburban thing to hit uptown. And they were given a chance to redesign, which they did, and it was just as bad. Plus if you're that into TJ's you should probably be living in St Louis Park anyways ;)

She also didn't tell the brew pub that they couldn't open, she merely wouldn't let them sell growlers... plenty of places get along without selling growlers.

The way uptown has been slowly and sustainably growing over the past decade is proof that sticking to urban zoning is working. So many small and unique stores exist now that didn't before.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 4th, 2012, 12:48 pm

^No, the Trader Joe's issue was pure hypocrisy on Tuthill's part. Her position was based on her stated ideology of not rezoning for a particular business, when only a few months earlier she changed an entire ordinance for a particular business (more precisely, against this business). It is rare to get a more clear-cut case of hypocrisy. That ideology is also bad for business and growing the tax base, because often zoning of individual parcels aren't changed to match land use guidance until a business applies for a rezoning.

Also, have you ever been to a brewpub that doesn't sell growlers?

I'm not saying this to demonize Tuthill, but I would like to counter her self-image as a small business owner. She is more in the camp of long-time homeowners - the type that tend to join neighborhood associations - and her policies track those interest groups very closely. If I need to connect the dots, I'm talking about those NIMBYs we all complain about constantly.
"Who rescued whom!"

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 4th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Redisciple like a boss.
Plus if you're that into TJ's you should probably be living in St Louis Park anyways ;)
Tuthill also used this type of argument against it, in addition to the inane zoning issue. This "you don't actually need X business" or "if you like X business you belong elsewhere" is really a poor way to design or execute public policy. If people don't need a Trader Joes, it will not survive and it will close. Let the marketplace work.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 4th, 2012, 1:51 pm

The latest edition of The Journal has the lowdown on challengers in Wards 3 and 7. Can't seem to find it online, because their website is awful. They maintain a tired website design from the 90s and a Wordpress site for both Journal editions...not very useful. I wish they just had one good website with all of the content.

Meanwhile, the Strib asks: Jackie Cherryhomes for Mayor?
Last edited by twincitizen on December 4th, 2012, 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 4th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Meanwhile, the Strib asks: Jackie Cherryhomes for Mayor?
Maybe she'd move City Hall to Block E?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 4th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Trader Joe's belongs in the burbs? Huh? Every city I lived in before moving to Minneapolis was much larger than Minneapolis and I always shopped at Trader Joe's

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 4th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Try just blocks away at the Herkimer... I just don't know how they do it... always seem to be busy and successful...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 4th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Redisciple like a boss.
Plus if you're that into TJ's you should probably be living in St Louis Park anyways ;)
Tuthill also used this type of argument against it, in addition to the inane zoning issue. This "you don't actually need X business" or "if you like X business you belong elsewhere" is really a poor way to design or execute public policy. If people don't need a Trader Joes, it will not survive and it will close. Let the marketplace work.
If your implications that TJ's should be in cities, and letting the market work are ideal, Should not the developer and TJ's have created a plan like they used in other cities? Why put the horse behind the cart. TJ's is MORE than capable of creating an urban store. (edit: No one is going to propose a trader joes with 200 units of housing mixed use property in downtown Wilmer, MN, why doesn't it seem so alien to say that a suburban style TJ's is being built in uptown?) The plan they submitted was not 'letting the marketplace work' that was letting the supplier be lazy and cheap, and giving us another mini kmart on Lyndale to go along with the Wedge. I don't care how it was defeated, or by what hypocrisy, but it needed to be done. You're all looking for a redevelopment of the Kmart blocks, the rainbow blocks, complain about the large lots and auto-centricity of the wedge and uptown lunds, I think you're all spewing a tall order of hypocrisy too if you think that TJ's was acceptable for this neighborhood.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 4th, 2012, 9:41 pm

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 4th, 2012, 10:02 pm

foto - yes, I agree that the particular proposal for TJ's was really terrible, and the location was even worse. I'm glad it was defeated, even though I probably would've been shopping in that TJ's twice/week. Unfortunately, the Councilmember's rationale does matter, and her "we don't do spot rezoning" line stunk, was a big fat lie, and is a testament to her snotty attitude, as demonstrated in other recent quotables. Beyond that, she has shown zero willingness to even discuss revising the liquor store ordinance to allow something like Trader Joe's in a more appropriate location.

Yay, Trader Joe's was defeated. Let's move on and elect someone with a positive attitude who supports growth in Uptown and doesn't get all bitchy when you call 25th Street or 27th Street "Uptown" before even addressing your business proposal.

The new Ward 10 rep will be overseeing the redevelopment of the Kmart site (planning stages anyways), and potential larger scale proposals for Mozaic phase 2 and Calhoun Square phase 2 and I simply do not trust her to act in the interests of anyone outside of her (older, wealthier, home-owning) constituency.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 4th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Yep. I couldn't find it online earlier, when I was holding the paper copy in my hands. It is missing the sidebar about Ward 7 though.
Maybe I just saw a window to complain about The Journal's website and jumped out face first? :oops:

No top DNC post for Rybak, as Debbie W-S has been asked to stay on. Doesn't mean he won't be offered some other cozy job in the administration. He's been a good soldier for Obama and probably deserves something if that's what he wants.

Personally, I hope he does run for another term as mayor, for 3 primary reasons.

1. Stadium business aside, the guy is a great mayor. He IS Minneapolis. Loves, lives and breathes this city and I support him.
2. When he was pushing the stadium, he specifically said "We're not going to have a referendum. The referendum will be my next election." So that would be pretty slimy of him skip town after saying something so ridiculous and leaving the public with the bill and no recourse. The stadium would likely open during the 4-year term. With the downtown building boom, transit projects, economic recovery, etc, things are looking up for the city in the near term. Why wouldn't he want to be in office for that?
3. By not having a contested mayoral race, more media attention and public awareness could be focused on the individual council races, which I feel is important. Some of the incumbents need to go.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 5th, 2012, 8:13 am

I had a good discussion with an UrbanMSP/Streets.mn-er last night. We both agreed it's a shame that in Minneapolis, whoever has the -D on the ticket wins, so it sort of nullifies any of the benefit of IRV if candidates refuse to bow to the party nomination.

WRT Mayor Rybak, I like him better than any of the alternatives so far. But unfortunately he seems to take the safe route just as an ambassador and booster of the city. This has value, but I want to see more execution on projects. The Streets.mn article yesterday is a good example: There has been a vision for Washington Ave for years, but we're just starting to discuss how we could implement a fraction of it.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 5th, 2012, 4:00 pm

But unfortunately he seems to take the safe route just as an ambassador and booster of the city. This has value, but I want to see more execution on projects. The Streets.mn article yesterday is a good example: There has been a vision for Washington Ave for years, but we're just starting to discuss how we could implement a fraction of it.
This is so right on. He talks a good game but he's a mile wide and an inch deep. It appears he's somewhat insulated in his Southwest bubble, I'm not sure he really understands what's happening in much of the rest of the city. He may understand the technicalities but I haven't seen it from his heart.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 5th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Try just blocks away at the Herkimer... I just don't know how they do it... always seem to be busy and successful...
Probably because no one wants to take their beer home anyway.
"Who rescued whom!"

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 6th, 2012, 11:29 am

Redisciple like a boss.
If your implications that TJ's should be in cities, and letting the market work are ideal, Should not the developer and TJ's have created a plan like they used in other cities? Why put the horse behind the cart. TJ's is MORE than capable of creating an urban store. (edit: No one is going to propose a trader joes with 200 units of housing mixed use property in downtown Wilmer, MN, why doesn't it seem so alien to say that a suburban style TJ's is being built in uptown?) The plan they submitted was not 'letting the marketplace work' that was letting the supplier be lazy and cheap, and giving us another mini kmart on Lyndale to go along with the Wedge. I don't care how it was defeated, or by what hypocrisy, but it needed to be done. You're all looking for a redevelopment of the Kmart blocks, the rainbow blocks, complain about the large lots and auto-centricity of the wedge and uptown lunds, I think you're all spewing a tall order of hypocrisy too if you think that TJ's was acceptable for this neighborhood.
I really despised the specific proposal the developer made, too. However, Tuthill, instead of working with the developer to come up with a more urban proposal, just complained about parking and killed the proposal. She did nothing to try and bring a Trader Joes to uptown -- something which would be a great asset to her constituents. Instead, her actions are more likely to cause TJs not to bother with whatever other proposal they might make to enter the uptown market. She a voice for the NIMBYs of the area, not for those looking to see uptown continue to become more urban and vibrant, and less auto-centric.