Ward 10

Who wanted to be mayor?
woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Ward 10

Postby woofner » March 20th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Last night I discovered the video of the forum taken by Sarah McKenzie (apparently not many others have discovered this based on the view count):

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/20 ... d-10-forum

I have to say that Meg Tuthill is the only one who comes across as an actual politician in it, the rest appear to be in training wheels. That said, Lisa Bender had by far the most fact-based statements and came off quite well despite sounding somewhat like a junior high debate team member.

I want to hear more specific questions at the next forum. Instead of "do you support policies to encourage an increase in residential density" ask "what policies do you support that would encourage an increase in residential density". Instead of "what would be your approach to reopening Nicollet at Lake St" ask "what type of development would you like to see at Nicollet and Lake St and how would you make it happen". It would be great to see a more engaged moderator (not that I'm volunteering) prodding for specifics. Politicians love to make general statements during elections about supporting awesomeness and puppies and smilecakes and then they come up with onerous regulations and hypocritical rationales for not supporting rezonings.
"Who rescued whom!"

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 20th, 2013, 12:43 pm

So you're saying you're against puppies and smilecakes? I'm outraged and offended that you would make such statements against members of our community as valuable as puppies and smilecakes. Think of the children.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 2nd, 2013, 4:53 pm

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 2nd, 2013, 8:56 pm

He's wrong on Trader Joe's. CM Tuthill's office and city staff tried to work with the land owners and the developers and neither was willing to work for a better plan or a better site. Hence, no TJs. In other news, what would have been half a block of parking for a big box German grocery conglomerate is a local business reinvesting and expanding in its space-
http://www.startribune.com/business/200671441.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 2nd, 2013, 10:46 pm

I thought Tuthill suggested other sites in the city, but none in uptown, am I wrong?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 3rd, 2013, 8:24 am

Honestly, can you blame TJs? They found a willing development partner and an otherwise available site. Why start from scratch simply because of some antiquated and useless liquor spacing requirements?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 3rd, 2013, 8:34 am

Perhaps it's antiquated, but it is the law. And they knew that full well going in. And they gambled that they could change their zoning. And they lost.

I don't blame them for trying, but I'm also not shedding any tears for them.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » April 7th, 2013, 1:32 pm

I think the issue on TJs is that the developer (who is not TJs, keep in mind) went in with a parking-lot oriented, single-story building that didn't increase density at the site. They presented a plan that few would support. Then they reoriented it to the street after hearing feedback that it was too suburban. Then after hearing about SOME (not all) felt it was a parking and traffic issue waiting to happen, they added more parking but left the building the same size. So now those who were okay with density on the site and potentially with redeveloping the site didn't like it because it was even more car-centric and those who were against it for traffic/parking reasons still hated it because of the parking.

The whole rezoning thing is obnoxious because there is no reason why that site shouldn't be C2. The real issue in my eye is three fold: blah development proposal, outdated liquor store spacing requirements, and ineffective zoning policies for corridors like Hennepin or Lyndale that would have far too many non-conforming uses as a Pedestrian Overlay District but are left in a zoning state that allows far too car-oriented projects. And now there is a precedent for not rezoning properties for more density on Lyndale Avenue.

Had this been a better project (ie. even slightly more first floor square and linear square footage), I think it would have been approved.

Now on the Tuthill issue, she has made it even more restrictive for liquor stores now that their distances are measured lot line to lot line versus front door to front door. One could also argue that she hasn't taken action to provide for the orderly implementation of the Lyn-Lake Small Area Plan since these non-PO sections keep getting less-than-ideal development proposals.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 7th, 2013, 8:09 pm

It seems the entire swath of the City between downtown and Lake Street should have Pedestrian Overlay parking reductions and design guidelines applied. But that would take a Councilmember who "works on rezoning" to quote Meg Tuthill's infamous voicemail from last summer.

gpete
Union Depot

Re: 2013 Minneapolis Municipal Election

Postby gpete » April 17th, 2013, 9:58 am

http://www.minnpost.com/two-cities/2013 ... -10th-ward

Sounds like Lisa Bender did quite well in the Wedge, which is Meg's base of power. It will be an uphill battle, but I think Lisa has the best chance to knock off Meg, and she would be a strong advocate for many of the urban issues that are discussed on this forum.

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: 2013 Minneapolis Municipal Election

Postby Nick » April 17th, 2013, 11:19 am

Wow, Ken and Kendal both only got three delegates in the Wedge? I wonder how they did elsewhere.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 17th, 2013, 12:35 pm

More importantly, will Ken, Kendal, or Lisa be willing to drop out at the convention, if it means one of the fellow challengers can lock up the nomination? Even though I am supporting Lisa, priority #1 is defeating Meg Tuthill. I'd think that would be obvious to all 3 challengers, but you never know. If the convention does not endorse, whoever stays in the race til November will be fighting an uphill battle against the incumbent and everything that comes with that advantage.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » April 23rd, 2013, 7:37 am

Given the weather forecast for Saturday, I wonder if delegates will be antsy and be more willing to walk away with no endorsement. An interesting X factor.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 23rd, 2013, 8:51 am

More importantly, will Ken, Kendal, or Lisa be willing to drop out at the convention, if it means one of the fellow challengers can lock up the nomination? Even though I am supporting Lisa, priority #1 is defeating Meg Tuthill. I'd think that would be obvious to all 3 challengers, but you never know. If the convention does not endorse, whoever stays in the race til November will be fighting an uphill battle against the incumbent and everything that comes with that advantage.
I think that IRV changes this dynamic. If there really is an anti-incumbent majority in the district, and they will vote for anybody but Meg, then the voters should rank the three challengers in whatever is their particular preference. The result will be that the general electorate, not a small cabal of DFLers with nothing better to do with a glorious Saturday, gets to decide which of the challengers is the best.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 23rd, 2013, 8:56 am

If this happens, maybe people can organize an anybody-but-Meg campaign that urges people to mark their IRV ballot with all challengers.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 23rd, 2013, 11:14 am

This doesn't really have any substance, but I already thought of a great political sign for the anti-Tuthill crowd:

You can't spell Meg without M-E

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 27th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Lisa Bender won the endorsement. Bradley was eliminated after third ballot, Tuthill after fourth. After fifth, no endorsement (Meg's votes) had like 28 percent and Bender was up a bit. Then Killian threw his support behind Bender and it was over by a voice vote. I'm shocked and excited.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 27th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Absolutely great news for the future of uptown, assuming this carries through to the election

lewismd
Block E

Postby lewismd » April 28th, 2013, 6:58 pm

It was an exciting convention! Good on Kendall for putting "anyone but Meg" above his own ambitions. I posted some pictures from the convention. I was a Bender alternate, so the pictures are kind of Bender-biased. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lewismd13/ ... 690187232/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 30th, 2013, 9:31 am

If Meg decides to break her promise and run in the general election, she has secured a big endorsement (via the Tuthill campaign facebook page)
:lol: :lol: