Hennepin County Elections: Commissioners & Sheriff

Who wanted to be mayor?
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Hennepin County Commissioner - 3rd District

Postby Nick » February 18th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Has anyone thought to ask the candidates about convention center hotel subsidies?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 19th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Katie Hatt is dropping and endorsing Ben Schweigert.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 19th, 2014, 1:42 pm

https://katiehatt.org/

That is truly surprising. I thought she did ok attracting delegates in Loring, Stevens, and Whittier. To my knowledge, Ben did not get any declared delegates out of 10-7, 10-8, or 10-9. Katie got both (2) delegates in 10-8, including my support as an alternate.

With the convention over a month away still, I guess if the money ain't there, it ain't there.

Sara Bergen

Postby Sara Bergen » February 26th, 2014, 9:54 am

You all probably know about this, but thought posting it couldn't hurt.

Announcing the Hennepin County 3rd District Commissioner Candidate Forum

by Bill Lindeke on February 26, 2014 in 2014 Voter Guide
3rd-district-hennepin-coSeveral candidates are running for the open seat on Hennepin County’s Board of Commissioners, and we want voters to be clear on where the candidates stand. In partnership with the Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition and the Alliance for Metropolitan Stability, streets.mn is presenting a nonpartisan forum for commissioner candidates to share their views on the future of transportation in our city.

The forum will take place in the meeting room of the Linden Hills Park at 3100 W 43rd St in Minneapolis. It will go from 7:00 to 8:30 PM on Thursday, March 6.

What do we do about Southwest LRT? What should Hennepin County’s bike plan look like? What obstacles and opportunities intersect the issue of transportation? Hennepin County’s third district includes Downtown Minneapolis, South Minneapolis west of Interstate 35W, and St. Louis Park. We hope the event allows the candidates an opportunity to share their plans to make the area more a sustainable and equitable community.

The forum will be moderated by Paula Pentel, coordinator of the Urban Studies Program at the University of Minnesota. RSVP on Facebook — and invite your friends!

Streets.mn is a non-profit and is volunteer run. We rely on your support to keep the servers running. If you value what you read, please consider becoming a member.

Share this:

streets.mn

Podcast #61 – Hennepin County Commissioner Transportation Fo

Postby streets.mn » April 1st, 2014, 7:41 pm

Podcast #61 – Hennepin County Commissioner Transportation Forum
https://streets.mn/2014/04/01/podcast-61 ... ion-forum/

Sara Bergen

Postby Sara Bergen » April 2nd, 2014, 7:59 am

Are there any other delegates/alternates who will be attending the Hennepin County convention this Sunday? If so, send me a message. I am supporting Anne Mavity because of the candidates she is the one who has been able to implement her vision and values. She has been a strong advocate for the "connect the park" plan in SLP, despite vehement criticism from homeowners who don't want sidewalks on "their" property. She has also been pursuing form-based code for the three proposed SLP light rail stations, and has advocated for more municipal transparency. I believe she will be able to go head to head with the strong personalities on the commission when needed, and also form relationships and build consensus.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 2nd, 2014, 11:31 am

I am supporting Anne Mavity because of the candidates she is the one who has been able to implement her vision and values. She has been a strong advocate for the "connect the park" plan in SLP, despite vehement criticism from homeowners who don't want sidewalks on "their" property. She has also been pursuing form-based code for the three proposed SLP light rail stations, and has advocated for more municipal transparency. I believe she will be able to go head to head with the strong personalities on the commission when needed, and also form relationships and build consensus.
This is exactly why I am supporting Anne as well. I am not a delegate but I'm trying to get the word out.
Ben is a great candidate too and he is my #2.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 6th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Convention adjourned without endorsing.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 6th, 2014, 8:05 pm

After SD60 adjourning after 9 hours without endorsing, and apparently the County convention adjourning without endorsing as well, I'm pretty tired of the whole process, there has to be a better way.

Or it's just more of LOL DFL not being able to get our shit together.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 6th, 2014, 8:12 pm

I honestly don't understand the point of doing multiple rounds of voting when there's only two candidates. Like, if there's 3+, obviously delegates pledged to someone way behind can shift to, maybe, the second or third-place finisher and put them over the top, but when there's only two? After the first round, were a few dozen Khan supporters suddenly supposed to see the error of their ways and switch to Noor, or vice versa? Like FMP says, there has to be a better way. Ranked-choice voting, perhaps, with a sane system to count the votes.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 6th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Two years ago, when it was Khan vs Griffin, there was movement on each vote, as rational people made the decision to switch. I sat basically in the middle of the Somali delegates, and this wasn't a group of 150 people each making their own decision, it was 150 people being told what to do by a handful of people. I'm not sure if it was just a few that had a better understanding of English helping those that didn't (but even then they weren't doing a very good job of it) or something else. But really, I didn't get the impression that the Somali delegates were there to do anything other than vote for the Somali and only vote for the Somali.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 6th, 2014, 10:06 pm

Please explain to me again why the fact that the winners of these seats will be decided by the voters at large rather than a few hundred insiders is considered a bad outcome.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 6th, 2014, 10:12 pm

Instead of this race essentially being done, and DFL talent and resources being used in other more contested races, we're wasting our time and energy on a piddly little primary that Khan is going to win anyway.

In the grand scheme of things I'm not sure that the nomination process is the best, but within the current system, this battle is just a waste of time and resources that takes resources away from other elections.

E: To be clear, I'm talking about the 60B house race, not the Hennepin County Commissioner, even though that's the thread we're in.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 9th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Bob "Again" Carney announced via edemocracy that he's running for this seat.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 9th, 2014, 12:48 pm

How a Hennepin County DFL endorsing convention collapsed
Hennepin County commissionership is one of the least noticed but most powerful position in Minnesota government. The seven commissioners allocate a $1.8 billion budget, second only to the state’s. They deal with issues ranging from jails to hospitals and virtually everything in between.

That the media and public barely notice commissioner elections is always surprising. That a vote to endorse could not be held because of poor organization is astounding.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 9th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Rick Stafford at the center of a mess of an endorsing convention. Big surprise.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 25th, 2014, 8:17 am

Everyone's favorite perennial candidate is cranky that Minnpost isn't taking him seriously. I'm fairly impressed that he managed to get a Republican endorsement on a platform that's basically "lots more union jobs", made-up numbers or not.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 25th, 2014, 9:51 am

Also, the primary election is on Tuesday. Turnout will be exceptionally low, so please do go vote!

The top 2 finishers in the primary will go on to the general election in May.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 25th, 2014, 11:00 am

To be clear, District 3 is just SLP, downtown, and SW Minneapolis, right?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 25th, 2014, 11:26 am

Part of downtown, basically just Loring Park, all of Southwest, the Diamond Lake neighborhood east of 35W, and all of St. Louis Park.

There's a map here in this interview with Ben Schweigert, whom I will be voting for on Tuesday.
http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy ... schweigert

Prediction just based on my gut: Marion Greene will survive the primary. Of the other 3 I have no idea who comes out of top...just hopefully not Ken Kelash. I'd honestly be ok with either Ben Schweigert or Anne Mavity. They'd both do a fine job.