Minneapolis City Politics General Discussion

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Re: Minneapolis City Politics General Discussion

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 12th, 2022, 7:32 am

That is, until Rainville challenges him. Wouldn't be the first time a Ward 3 first term council member challenged a mayor on their law and order bonafides.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » July 12th, 2022, 9:53 am

Frey has strong support in parts of the Somali community as well, and he's handling this situation like he handles any other crisis - disappear from view until it blows over so he doesn't become a target.

I see Latrisha as more of the heir apparent to mayor, and a significantly worse person than Rainville.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 12th, 2022, 9:55 am

I don't necessarily see him as a successful challenger. But between the family name and the inflated sense of his own accomplishments/capabilities in his current role, I can see him trying.

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » July 12th, 2022, 10:28 am

Frey has strong support in parts of the Somali community as well, and he's handling this situation like he handles any other crisis - disappear from view until it blows over so he doesn't become a target.

I see Latrisha as more of the heir apparent to mayor, and a significantly worse person than Rainville.
What makes vetaw worse than rainville in your eyes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » July 12th, 2022, 1:37 pm

Imagine if Rainville was smart and effective, and was able to weaponize his identity to guilt people into negative action and silence criticism as racism.

If you follow her behavior you will see a pattern of callous disregard for others. I'm not saying every elected official is a saint, but she's particularly good at being evil about it. Many episodes of this on the Park Board, but hard to parse out amongst the other immature behavior/mudslinging that happened there last term.

Here's a telling example someone brought up recently: https://twitter.com/commie__dearest/sta ... Fba5Izqc7Q

The most famous incident is probably I Put On My Lipstick for Landlords. Reported first by WedgeLive, after which she made a big deal about how John used to be her friend and now hates her, etc: https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/13 ... Fba5Izqc7Q

Her responses to David Brauer bringing it up are pretty revealing: https://twitter.com/dbrauer/status/1458 ... Fba5Izqc7Q

Rainville may have the ego to challenge Frey, but when I think of someone from the council the Chamber of Commerce would handpick as his successor it would be Latrisha.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 13th, 2022, 10:05 am

Frey and MAK turn out to be big liars. You could knock me over with a feather hearing this news:

https://www.southwestvoices.news/posts/ ... -bus-lanes

Must be nice to have a cozy sinecure, just do the most reactionary thing possible, just lie and say you're acting on behalf of BIPOC.

The city has gotten so much worse under Frey and his cronies and it is not debatable.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » July 13th, 2022, 12:28 pm

Hyperlocal offerings like WedgeLive are a blessing, as he covered this coverup and misdirection play-by-play as it was unfolding. And didn't have to pretend to be neutral in reporting how ridiculous it was on its face.

Props to Adam for his data request and reporting, plus SW Voices in running the piece.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 14th, 2022, 12:43 pm

On the subject of press neutrality though, Peter Wagenius was also spot on with his comments that if the public works director under Betsy Hodges had withheld information, Hodges would have been the subject of multiple Strib articles blaming her directly for the withholding of information.

The Star Freybune doesn't like to point out the emperor has no clothes lately though.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 14th, 2022, 2:23 pm

The let the car guy, Tim Harlow, cover it, instead of the city hall people.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » July 21st, 2022, 8:51 am

What makes vetaw worse than rainville in your eyes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's something else I forgot about: https://twitter.com/asmaresists/status/ ... oRTw14B_qQ

"Back in 2017 when we were working to get the Mpls Park Board to approve the construction of the nation's first memorial to survivors of sexual violence, Latrisha Vetaw staunchly refused to endorse the project. When it was finally built, Jacob Frey never acknowledged it."

Meg Forney voted against it too. Is there any good reason to oppose this first memorial of its type that is completely self-funded?

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » July 21st, 2022, 12:25 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the reasoning was "people I am generally not in line with support it, so I do not."

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » July 22nd, 2022, 9:26 am

That level of pettiness seems to motivate a lot of the politics in this town and when anyone points out how not good that is they send Joe Radinovich (or sometimes his wife) out to the twitter swamp to berate everyone for being "Trumpist"

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 22nd, 2022, 11:42 am

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » July 23rd, 2022, 9:23 am

Believe it or not, I planted two trees this week and plan to paddle the lakes tomorrow despite caring about the governance of the city I live in?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 26th, 2022, 10:23 am

It's crazy right. I go up north to go hiking and collect wildflower seeds locally to plant around the city - and yet I'm still angry about the corruption in our city government.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 10th, 2022, 9:01 am

So Frey is 90% likely to run in 2024 for MN CD-05? He's not well liked but he will have a lots of conservative and powerful backers.

Omar will need to actually run a campaign to win against Jake. Will be spicy either way.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » August 10th, 2022, 9:46 am

So Frey is 90% likely to run in 2024 for MN CD-05? He's not well liked but he will have a lots of conservative and powerful backers.

Omar will need to actually run a campaign to win against Jake. Will be spicy either way.
hmmmm, I don't think he will run. But I could see him putting his support behind someone like Vetaw.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 10th, 2022, 6:05 pm

Is Frey even popular? I feel like he won almost by default last time.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 11th, 2022, 8:03 am

I agree, it will be interesting

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 11th, 2022, 9:51 am

I feel like local politics twitter immediately following a primary isn't the place I'd trust for prognostication on the 2024 election. I seriously doubt he'd run when he's got a great gig right now where he can take credit for everything that goes well and always get away with shifting the blame for stuff that goes wrong.