Minneapolis City Politics General Discussion

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
Snelbian
Rice Park

Re: Minneapolis City Politics General Discussion

Postby Snelbian » November 8th, 2014, 3:21 pm

KSTP's Facebook page is a thing of beauty right now.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 8th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Most cunning sweeps stunt ever?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 8th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Are sweeps relevant anymore?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 19th, 2014, 1:24 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/283213361.html

DFL house rep thinks its likely the GOP will go after state aid to the core cities. DFL senate leadership is also from outstate so it may be a likely concession.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » November 19th, 2014, 2:12 pm

There's a part of me that feels like the core cities would be better off cutting all ties with the State. Probably applies to most core cities in most states.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2014, 2:40 pm

Yep, this would be just fine if core cities could keep most/all of the taxes generated here. Undo the "MN Miracle" time?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 19th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Not just some House rep. The Speaker. Thissen so badly screwed up his first (and only?) term as Speaker that I'm really disappointed his caucus elected him Minority Leader. He shares a lot of the blame for cities losing clout in the legislature.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 31st, 2014, 8:59 am

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 1st, 2015, 2:58 pm

For lack of somewhere better to place this, the city is rolling out new Ward and Neighborhood Profiles.

From what I've seen, they're very well done.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize that the link above doesn't take you to the fancy new versions, which show up at the bottom of the Z+P agneda.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 10th, 2015, 9:58 am

Free article idea: get a resident of each ward to write a letter to their city councilmember with some sort of urban advocacy. See how long it takes (if ever) to get a response from each one.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 11th, 2015, 7:10 am

Free article idea: get a resident of each ward to write a letter to their city councilmember with some sort of urban advocacy. See how long it takes (if ever) to get a response from each one.
I've been using an add-on to Gmail called Streak, and it lets one track to see if an email has been viewed and how many times.

Out of boredom I emailed various levels of government. City and state representatives looked and responded quickly to my communications. Met Council rep's office looked at what I wrote but never responded. My Hennepin County Commissioner and Minneapolis Park Board member never looked at what I wrote. I didn't bother to email Keith Ellison because I am sure being who he is he gets lots of crazy in his inbox.

Overall I must say that contact with Minneapolis City Council members is usually very quick, I can say that for all five I have contacted over the years.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 11th, 2015, 7:25 am

I called Frey about something the other day and his receptionist said he ran down the hall and she had no idea where he went, or when he'd be back. Literally 15 seconds after I finish the call, he calls me back. :lol:

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 11th, 2015, 8:41 am

I've been using an add-on to Gmail called Streak, and it lets one track to see if an email has been viewed and how many times.

Out of boredom I emailed various levels of government. City and state representatives looked and responded quickly to my communications. Met Council rep's office looked at what I wrote but never responded. My Hennepin County Commissioner and Minneapolis Park Board member never looked at what I wrote. I didn't bother to email Keith Ellison because I am sure being who he is he gets lots of crazy in his inbox.

Overall I must say that contact with Minneapolis City Council members is usually very quick, I can say that for all five I have contacted over the years.
Kind of wonder how effective that tool actually is. Does it attach something to the email to know if it has been viewed?

I know whenever someone asks for a read receipt on an email, I firmly decline. Unless you're my boss, I generally don't think anyone needs to know whether or not I've looked at their email. (In this case, we are their bosses...so it totally works and is legit. But I just needed to mini-rant about how annoying read receipts are. Ha)

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 11th, 2015, 8:54 am

There is no request for a read receipt. The add-on will even show where and how the email was read.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 11th, 2015, 9:05 am

I'm guessing it includes a small 1 pixel image in the email, that is unique to that email, and then it tracks when that image is loaded from their web server.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 11th, 2015, 9:13 am

I'm guessing it includes a small 1 pixel image in the email, that is unique to that email, and then it tracks when that image is loaded from their web server.
Exactly.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 11th, 2015, 9:37 am

That sounds about right. I don't think most Park Board commissioners really pay attention to anyone. How many of them have ever had a competitive election anyway?

Still, it's a shame. If there is one thing elected officials (or at least some intern in their office!) should be able to do, it's respond to their own constituents. Otherwise the fiction that we have a say in our government becomes ever more tenuous. That's why I think an article shaming the ones who don't would be good; give it some minor consequence, at least.

Fun fact: According to Robert Caro's biography, Lyndon Johnson had his House and Senate offices respond to every single letter they ever received with a personalized response. He got upwards of a thousand a day. If he can do it, surely our officials can.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 11th, 2015, 12:40 pm

Figured it might be this. Though I wonder if it can be thrown off at all by which client or tools the reader is using. I have to run analytics on some stuff my company sends out, and it's amazing how splintered the traffic from email stuff looks because some people's stuff gets "opened" by their client to scan for viruses, some stuff gets underreported because they don't download the images, etc.

I have to imagine some of it is not caring, but also just email deluge. I'm pretty unimportant and still get 100+ emails a day. It's essentially a triage exercise just to get back to the people that require a response while waiting to see if anyone I missed pesters me enough to make me realize I need to reply. :shock:

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 25th, 2015, 5:18 pm

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/06/25 ... inneapolis

Zoning & Planning voted 4-1 for the new parking ordinance. Johnson was the only one against, and wants an exemption for Ward 4. That would be pretty dumb, but I doubt there's going to be much development in that part of North for a while anyway.

How long can Barbara Johnson expect to be Council President when she's so visibly in the minority? This is the second time in two weeks that she's been the only opponent for something clearly supported by the rest of the council, and the second time she made frankly insulting comments about how this wasn't appropriate for North because her constituents "don't feel safe riding public transit in North Minneapolis." (You can see her speaking about here).

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 25th, 2015, 7:33 pm

So maybe someone can explain some demographics on the North side? I'm just a dumb white millenial living on the south side, so I've got an image of the North side that's generally more minority and poorer than the rest of the city. Blong Yang fits that image, as a minority himself. Then you've got Barbara Johnson, white as rice, and a fair amount of veiled racism. Honestly, it sounds like the kind of racism that comes from working class white folks as minorities move into an area and "take their jobs" and go to their schools and etc etc.