Fiscal Disparities

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
Nick
Capella Tower

Fiscal Disparities

Postby Nick » July 12th, 2012, 11:46 am

really mplser? Doesn't it even matter a tiny bit the the whole trend for this crap is to make it as cheap and drab as possible? Screw density if this is the answer! I'm still astounded you guys all love 222. It is what it is I guess...MPLS gets trash only and we must all be trash men.
Next time you have tens of millions of dollars lying around in the bank to finance real estate projects, make sure you only pick ones you like.
Curious, do you even live in Minneapolis, nasa?
Northern suburbs. As a resident of downtown, I by far prefer filling the hot mess urban fabric of this city before making the skyline pretty for people who presumably are all about LGA cuts...
What snobs! lol. Sorry doodies, the suburbs finance MPLS. I can tal about it all I want,
I don't expect this to change any talking points, but this is incorrect. We do that while supporting infrastructure, emergency services, and other burdens associated with a 50,000 student research university (no property taxes!), major regional hospitals and health facilities, major regional theaters/museums/other, three professional sports arenas (which we also pay for), and the state's main convention center (which we also pay for). We also have gaping scars across most parts of the city so people from the suburbs and outstate cities can get to those things without stopping at traffic lights.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

nasa35

Re: Fiscal Disparities

Postby nasa35 » July 12th, 2012, 12:17 pm

what is an LGA cut?

Sorry, your suburban hating and, yes, apparently snobbery (it's just not you) interfer with the facts. If it weren't for the suburbanites spending millions upon millions of dollars in the city it would be bankrupt. you spend, i would guess, nothing in the suburbs yet love all the tax money that gets sent your way.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Re: 600 5th Street North

Postby dmdhashw » July 12th, 2012, 12:21 pm

What snobs! lol. Sorry doodies, the suburbs finance MPLS. I can tal about it all I want,
What are you talking about? The state recieves $450 million in taxes from Minneapolis, yet we recieved only $64 million in LGA from the state in 2011.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » July 12th, 2012, 12:29 pm

just looked it up. No, I'm not for LGA cuts. Just the pretty blantant snobbish attitude for where some people choose to live.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 12th, 2012, 12:32 pm

what is an LGA cut?

Sorry, your suburban hating and, yes, apparently snobbery (it's just not you) interfer with the facts. If it weren't for the suburbanites spending millions upon millions of dollars in the city it would be bankrupt. you spend, i would guess, nothing in the suburbs yet love all the tax money that gets sent your way.
If you don't know what I mean by "LGA cut" then you shouldn't have such strong opinions about anyone subsidizing anyone...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 12th, 2012, 12:41 pm

If you want to talk cheap and drab you need to take a look at the Northwest suburbs. The only redeeming feature of the area is its proximity to the city of Minneapolis. There is not one noteworthy culturally, social or architectural achievement in the entire area. Sorry without Minneapolis, Blaine is just a sand plain.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » July 25th, 2012, 5:02 am

If you want to talk cheap and drab you need to take a look at the Northwest suburbs. The only redeeming feature of the area is its proximity to the city of Minneapolis. There is not one noteworthy culturally, social or architectural achievement in the entire area. Sorry without Minneapolis, Blaine is just a sand plain.
I havent seen any suburb that looked like it had anything to offer other than being close to Minneapolis, honestly.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » July 25th, 2012, 6:43 am

Yikes! You're painting with a mighty broad brush there. My suburb has LOTS to offer.

The air is clean, there's virtually no crime, there are more stars in the sky, my kids go to outstanding public schools, the parks are larger, there are more birds singing (which I admit sounds cheesy but it's literally true), there are more beaches and they're less crowded, there are tons of bike trails, there's less traffic, our dog has room to roam, there are more trees, we rarely hear a siren, jumbo jets rarely fly over, there are no panhandlers and everyone is exceedingly friendly.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » July 25th, 2012, 7:09 am

Yikes! You're painting with a mighty broad brush there. My suburb has LOTS to offer.

The air is clean, there's virtually no crime, there are more stars in the sky, my kids go to outstanding public schools, the parks are larger, there are more birds singing (which I admit sounds cheesy but it's literally true), there are more beaches and they're less crowded, there are tons of bike trails, there's less traffic, our dog has room to roam, there are more trees, we rarely hear a siren, jumbo jets rarely fly over, there are no panhandlers and everyone is exceedingly friendly.
If the central cities were suddenly wiped away from existence, would your suburb continue its seemingly perfect and ideal existence? The suburbs rely on and take advantage of the cities.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 25th, 2012, 7:12 am

Suburbs ethos is exclusion. After reading Crabgrass Frontier: The Suburbanization of the United States by Kenneth Jackson I have a profoundly different view of the suburbs that I once did.

Although suburbs did exist before WWII, the main thrust came after and what it did to the nation's urban cores is reprehensible. Granted there has always been segregation, but the suburbs represent a whole new level of "I've got mine, fuck you". They first came into existence to keep out unwanted minorities, after that was forbidden, they now merely keep out lower income people. It is not a policy triumph that keep places like Wayzata very "nice", its the fact that people lower on the proverbial totem pole cannot live there (unless your kid is good at sports). So while the core cities take up the mantle of caring for society's least fortunate, suburbanites mostly are unaware of how we got this place. Some would feel bad for a moment and then carry on, most could not care less and blame the core cities government and its citizens as a whole.

Every single person who lives in the 'burbs I have ever met from the suburbs has been a conformist. It appeals to people who like no danger or intrigue or spontaneity. It is fine to be a suburbanite, it is just not for me.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » July 25th, 2012, 8:54 am

There is not one noteworthy culturally, social or architectural achievement in the entire area.
You could say the same thing about Minneapolis.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 25th, 2012, 9:05 am

There is not one noteworthy culturally, social or architectural achievement in the entire area.
You could say the same thing about Minneapolis.
You could say the same thing about Paris. It would be just as silly as saying it about Minneapolis, or even about the suburbs.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 26th, 2012, 10:32 am

Again you have a tenuous grasp of the English language. It may be snobbish but not bigoted.
Ha!

It's no secret the North Metro is a little frugal/cheap, which is fine (to each their own, but no wonder they are rebounding the worst from the housing crisis), but it really does only exist because of the sprawl, created by Minneapolis/St Paul. So there is no place for them to complain about the city.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » July 26th, 2012, 11:16 am

It's not fair to pigeon hole the entire north/northwest metro as frugal/cheap/drab. Anoka, for example, has 12+ million in city funded projects plus a few other private projects this year alone. $12 million in one year isn't too bad for a city of 17k sitting on a whopping seven square miles..

Anoka is a nice small historic city and is very much different from the surrounding cities that seem to have no central "downtown" area but are instead spread out all over.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 26th, 2012, 11:45 am

It's not fair to pigeon hole the entire north/northwest metro as frugal/cheap/drab. Anoka, for example, has 12+ million in city funded projects plus a few other private projects this year alone. $12 million in one year isn't too bad for a city of 17k sitting on a whopping seven square miles..

Anoka is a nice small historic city and is very much different from the surrounding cities that seem to have no central "downtown" area but are instead spread out all over.
I'll admit Anoka is special, and I always tried to patronize the area when I was younger. The southern portion of Columbia Heights is pretty urban too. But for a population 330,000 its still pretty pathetic.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 27th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Anoka falls into the handful of cities that were established communities before the suburbs reached them. That makes them a little bit different from the get go, with downtown's and historic architecture. Wayzata Stillwater etc etc... but its a bit of an outlier in my mind.