2017 St. Paul Mayoral Election

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
Tiller
Foshay Tower

Re: 2017 St. Paul Mayoral Election

Postby Tiller » August 21st, 2017, 7:52 pm

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/15/ho ... -busy/amp/

Harris and Goldstein apparently are both talking about needing to "slow down" the Ford Site. #BottomOfTheRankedChoiceVotingList

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 12th, 2017, 9:16 pm

As many of his friends suspected, the allegations against Dai Thao are garbage:

http://www.startribune.com/prosecutors- ... 444050453/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 12th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Declined to prosecute does not mean that the allegations were garbage.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 12th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Knowing Dai? They're garbage.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 13th, 2017, 12:01 am

Unverifiable allegations from a lobbyist made on the weekend of the caucuses to cast a cloud over his candidacy. Aka garbage.

Here's a pretty relevant excerpt from the Scott County deputy attorney's letter:
When Marlow asked whether the lobbyist’s clients would make a donation to Thao’s mayoral campaign, she had “no frame of reference as to the meeting or its outcome,” Nelson wrote in his letter. “The mere request for a campaign donation, without some evidence of a proposed quid pro quo, is not illegal.”

Nelson also wrote that the people at the February meeting said Thao’s vote on a potential food packaging ordinance was not discussed.

“They also stated that Council Member Thao did not express his position, either for or against, such a materials ban for the city of St. Paul,” Nelson said.
Sounds like the lobbyist's account was a one-sided story that deliberately misrepresented the meeting for political purposes, because the prosecutor's account is clear about there being no wrongdoing, as opposed to there being just a lack of evidence of wrongdoing. Exonerated.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 13th, 2017, 10:04 am

Meanwhile, Dayton and Smith both endorsed Melvin Carter (paywall): http://www.startribune.com/dayton-endor ... 444215073/

Sandy Pappas endorsed him the other day too.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 13th, 2017, 11:47 am

I really hope the Thao (and Dickinson) voters are going to rank Carter 2nd (and vice versa). Harris would be a disaster, but could very well be the first choice among older/wealthier/white folks who aren't explicitly voting for a progressive (older Democrats/liberals who aren't part of any "progressive" constituency caucus, don't like density or bike lanes, etc.) At least on the surface, Carter seems like the best choice who also has the best chance at winning. Thao will do well enough, but still doesn't seem like he can actually win. His voters better rank!

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 14th, 2017, 1:00 am

http://m.startribune.com/dai-thao-raise ... 444273823/
St. Paul mayoral candidate Dai Thao has raised more than $142,000 during the most recent campaign finance reporting period, trailing rival Pat Harris but outpacing Melvin Carter over that time, according to a report filed by his campaign.

While the report shows that Thao, who represents the First Ward on the City Council, has not raised as much as Harris and Carter overall, he rivals them in cash on hand with more than $97,000 eight weeks before the election. Harris has $119,297 cash on hand; Carter has $52,643.

In total, Thao has raised more than $171,000 — more than $80,000 less than what Harris and Carter have each raised. Thao, Carter and Harris have raised far more than other mayoral candidates.

Palmetto
Block E

Postby Palmetto » November 7th, 2017, 10:28 pm

MPR just reported that Melvin Carter has been elected Mayor of St. Paul.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 8th, 2017, 12:07 am

Total shocker that he won in the first round. For his people as much as anyone else.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 8th, 2017, 8:04 am

I guess I was mostly viewing the race through the lens of Highland Park & the Ford site debate, so I thought Harris would be a lot more competitive as the anti-density candidate. Also in general, I just thought it would be a closer race between Carter and Harris. Way to go Melvin Carter!

One could definitely say Carter has a mandate to push his priorities through the council. Carter is pretty much to the left of the entire City Council, so we'll see how that plays out (e.g. can Carter find 4 votes for increasing min. wage?)

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » November 8th, 2017, 8:43 am

Honestly, I'm most surprised that Carter had more first-choice votes in a lot of the Ward 4 precincts than Harris. That, above all else, seems to tell me that the Ford Plan either is supported or just wasn't the deciding factor for a lot of people in that neighborhood.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 8th, 2017, 10:17 am

I think there was huge blowback from the Police Federation mailing. People generally don't like explicitly racist things. I saw posts from plenty of "ordinary" people that said they would not rank Harris after that mailing.

This election is a repudiation of the Police Federation, which is a good thing. Carter should have room to get stuff done. He wouldn't have been my first choice but definitely a solid, solid second. I'm really happy for St. Paul!

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » November 8th, 2017, 12:26 pm

The police federation mailer didn't make a huge difference in how I voted, but Harris was already well down on the list anyways (we could rank up to six spots, and I made full use of that despite there only really being three strong frontrunners.)

I'm a bit surprised Thao did as poorly as he did on the first choice votes - his marketing was a bit strange on the mailers, though (the "don't vote for me because..." was odd) and it's quite possible that a lot of voters on the fence between Thao and Carter decided to make Carter their first choice to push back against that police federation mailing.