2017 St. Paul Mayoral Election

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
twincitizen

2017 St. Paul Mayoral Election

Postby twincitizen » March 16th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Looking way way ahead to 2017, people have begun talking about the next mayoral campaign.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/capitol-view/2 ... aul-mayor/

While Erin Murphy is like the most perfect name ever for a St. Paul mayor, and she'd be a frontrunner for sure, it sounds like she's also considering a run for Governor and will need to make a decision sometime next year. I suppose she could still run for Governor after a failed run at Mayor, so I suspect that's also on her mind.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: 2015 St. Paul Municipal Elections

Postby David Greene » March 16th, 2015, 9:44 pm

I was mildly surprised to see Jim McDonough on the short list of mayoral candidates. He'd be an interesting mayor, bringing an East Side slant to things and understanding how the city can better work with the county. I have a lot of respect for him as someone that did a 180 on LRT after seeing the success of Hiawatha.

Does Murphy's geographical placement help or hurt her for a mayoral or gubernatorial run?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 1st, 2015, 8:28 pm

I live is St Paul's Ward 5. Anyone else live here?

I am disgusted by the amount of signs I see for David Glass. The research I have done into his platform has not resulted in anything different. To me, as I read the context, he is running out of spite. He ran the Black Bear Crossings at the Comp Pavilion. The contract with the city was cancelled, he was paid $800,000 to leave. That is when he announced he would be running for city council.

What really ticked me off tonight, is that I returned home with a paper banded to my door. I thought it was the Monitor. It was a paid advertisement for David Glass disguised as a local paper. It attacks the incumbent and aims to confuse voters. Disgusting.

Also note, I have a sign in my yard for the incumbent. Vote Amy Brendmoen on Nov 3!

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » November 2nd, 2015, 5:09 pm

I live in Ward 4 and it will be curious to see if Tom Goldstien, who also has what appears to be a fair amount of yard sign/Facebook support, has enough votes to beat incumbent Russ Stark. I personally think Goldstien is running on a backward facing platform intended to tap into discontent over parking meters, bike lanes, and the soccer stadium by people who feel the city doesn't seek enough community input on these kinds of projects. I will vote for Stark but I have no idea if Goldstien represents a disgruntled fringe or a real movement.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 2nd, 2015, 8:03 pm

He also wants the city to build a city-owned fiber network, FWIW. http://www.connectsaintpaul.org/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 2nd, 2015, 8:20 pm

Too bad they won't have parking meters to pay for it.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 2nd, 2015, 10:03 pm

The municipal fiber network will be built after a Midtown observation tower but before parking meters on Grand or a Cleveland Ave bike lane.

bus14
Block E

Postby bus14 » November 2nd, 2015, 10:12 pm

Too bad they won't have parking meters to pay for it.
$60 million spent on the Penfield, $60 million for CHS field... Hate to say but Goldstein does have a point. St. Paul has lots of money. But the right priorities?

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » November 2nd, 2015, 11:49 pm

He has a point. A, singular. And that is that we should not subsidize stadia. The rest of his platform, such as it is, is not about challenging priorities. It's about complaining that people don't feel like they're being listened to so we should listen to the loudest ones now and ditch 4 years of work and public outreach on Cleveland and who knows where else, not meter parking because OMG shopping malls!, etc.

I know Tom. I've worked with Tom. He's a nice guy. But his campaign isn't about a vision for St. Paul's priorities. It's about bitching about a stadium.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 3rd, 2015, 9:41 pm

Brendmoen and Stark are crushing in early results. Tobolt looks to have the slight edge in Ward 2.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 3rd, 2015, 10:29 pm

93 people voted for Sharon Anderson as their first choice?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 3rd, 2015, 10:33 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » November 4th, 2015, 10:15 am

Gotta admit, I'm very relieved. I was starting to worry about Stark and Brendmoen.

Speaking of which, Brendmoen just thanked her supporters saying "Today, I am popping over to Dockside for breakfast, noon at North End Business Association, then on to City Council meeting and public hearings. I'm excited to get back to our work." Buuuuurn.

Meanwhile, St. Paul STRONG is still pretending that they played a significant role (despite enough of their endorsements losing that it's hard to say anybody won because of them at all) and that all press coverage of them is some sort of endorsement.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 4th, 2015, 11:22 am

I'm relieved too. Did you read the Pioneer Press article about the campaign mailers?

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... dded-silly

This part really gets me:
Recently, a glossy fold-out from the Glass campaign featured a dozen female Johnson High School students brandishing badminton medals. The candidate himself is not in the image, which was apparently taken directly from the school website without captioning or photo credit.

An organizer with the Glass campaign defended the use of the photo, saying Johnson High School is sometimes depicted negatively in the media. She called the image uplifting and an appropriate use of a "public" picture.

That logic failed to sway school district officials.

"Yes, we do care and he shouldn't have used that photo without getting permission from (the St. Paul Public Schools)," said district spokeswoman Toya Stewart Downey, in an email. "The district would have said no because photos belong to SPPS and parents sign permission forms for use by the district, media and community partners."

Melissa Jamrock, a Ramsey County legislative aide active in Democratic-Farmer-Labor circles, circulated the campaign photo on Facebook this weekend with the faces blurred.

"Do these students and/or their families know they are being used on a piece of political literature? Is this also trying to suggest that the school itself is supporting the candidate?" Jamrock wrote. "Here's hoping his campaign can answer these questions because this is really sketchy. If it was my kid, I'd be unhappy."

Glass responded to Jamrock's questions Saturday with a post from his Facebook account. "This is all you folks have? Really?" he wrote. "This pic is all over the Internet. ... Trying to fan the flames of a fire that (isn't) there is ludicrous."

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » November 4th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Ugh. Yes. Glass is a slimy piece of work.

mulad

Postby mulad » November 4th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Since nobody in Ward 2 tipped past 50%, there will be a runoff of ranked-choice alternatives on Monday. Noecker has a fairly solid lead of 3.2% in the first-choice tally (41.7 to 38.5%), even though it's only 183 votes. All of the ballots except for those of Noecker and Tobolt will have to go to their second choice or beyond. It looks like they'd need to have something close to a 60/40 split for Tobolt in order to turn over the first-choice result, which seems unlikely. I expect the gap will narrow between Noecker and Tobolt a bit, but she'll probably end up the winner.

Here's an MPR article coming to a similar conclusion:

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/11/04 ... uncil-race

mulad

Postby mulad » November 9th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Noecker ended up gaining more votes than Tobolt in the reallocation today, and wins the seat. The count is still unofficial until certified by the City Council on Thursday.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... nner-being

at40man
Rice Park

Re: 2017 St. Paul Mayoral Election

Postby at40man » January 19th, 2016, 2:38 pm

There seem to be quite a few fans of Klecko. His supporters (continually) note that he is a baker and a poet...

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 4th, 2017, 10:05 am

It's interesting how little attention the open-seat mayoral election here is getting compared to the one in Minneapolis, considering how much more powerful the position is on this side of the river.

There are only a handful of declared candidates with any name recognition: Pat Harris, Melvin Carter, Tom Goldstein, and now Dai Thao. I know one other person will join in a couple weeks, but I don't expect her to be in the top tier. There was also a push to convince Amy Brendmoen to run (even from some fellow CMs) but I've heard that she has ruled it out. Tina Smith should have run for mayor instead of governor, but that ship has sailed too.

Anyone know who they're voting for yet? Other than "not Pat Harris," of course.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 4th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Very interesting that the current Ward 1 CM (Thao) is running against the former (Carter). Carter's only been out of office for 2 years, and he's certainly not been out of politics, probably maintaining DFL connections. This could be interesting.

Anyone think CM Stark or CM Tolbert will get in the race? Wasn't one of them sorta rumored a while back?

One nice thing in St. Paul is that sitting CMs can run without giving up their council seat, as the elections are not held the same year. I can't decide if that's better or worse than in Minneapolis. It definitely makes an easier decision for a sitting CM to run.