Minnesota Representation at the Federal Level

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Minnesota Representation at the Federal Level

Postby mattaudio » December 7th, 2016, 11:36 am

I'm in SD63 and I would not support Torres Ray for CD5. She seems largely invisible in the district.

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » December 8th, 2016, 4:52 am

Hmmm...it's possible. He is supporting Keith's DNC bid, correct?

He just started that Minneapolis Foundation gig this year though. And while he's long signaled interest in DC, I'd be really surprised if, at age 61, he's interested in spending several years being in the minority party in Congress. I don't think Congress is where RT wants to be or even where his strengths lie. RT was supposed to be Governor in 2010. If he is going to run for anything, my money is still on Governor. I'll be a little surprised if he doesn't at least explore a run.
Yup -- here's his quote supporting Ellison's bid:
"Having worked on elections and social movements with Keith Ellison for more than two decades, I can say I have never seen him campaign only for himself,” Rybak said in a statement. “More a community organization than a politician, Keith has used every campaign to protect every voter’s rights, expand our party’s base, include those left behind and elevate new leaders. That is exactly what the Democratic Party needs right now.”
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/e ... air-231335

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 18th, 2016, 1:02 pm

I saw on Twitter a couple days ago that Dibble changed his mind and will not run for CD5 if Ellison vacates his seat. I didn't see a reason given. Peggy Flanagan, first-term State Rep from St. Louis Park, says she will run.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 18th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Probably because Peggy Flanagan would be amazing in that seat. And Dibble has more power in the state Senate.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » December 26th, 2016, 6:36 am

So, Klobuchar is officially staying in the Senate race and out of the gubernatorial one. I'm a bit surprised, as I was mistakenly reading the tea leaves to suggest she was leaning the other way.

http://www.startribune.com/klobuchar-wi ... 408163356/

Now to see if the DFL can manage a candidate for governor that can compete outside of the core cities.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 17th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Al Franken has gotten a lot of attention during the cabinet hearings, so far creating at least two "viral" moments with his sharp questioning on Sessions and now DeVos. I wonder if he's trying to make a play for a more visible anti-Trump role in the Democratic Party? In a way-too-early observation, a more edgy Al Franken might not be the worst VP candidate in 2020.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » January 18th, 2017, 8:34 am

Al Franken has surprised and impressed me at how hard he's worked and how well he's done as a senator; but I still can't imagine it would go well if the eye of media attention were to be focused on him for months straight. He has a lot of really bizarre baggage that's managed to largely stay out of his senate service, and maybe he could keep it out of a more prominent role, but I kind of doubt it.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 20th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 25th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Ellison is deputy chair. Does he still give up his seat in the house?

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » February 25th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Did anybody else feel like this attempt to install Ellison as party chair was really an attempt by Sanders and other progressives to put him out in the public spotlight with an eye on grooming him to be a future progressive presidential candidate? When was the last time the race for DNC chairman had any kind of publicity? It has never been a major news story before.

If nothing else this contest has made Ellison a major figure in the Democratic party, even though he lost.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » February 25th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Ellison is deputy chair. Does he still give up his seat in the house?
He does not.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » April 26th, 2021, 2:17 pm

Minnesota keeps its eighth congressional district by an insane margin of 89 New Yorkers.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 26th, 2021, 2:19 pm

Crazy. What an amazing job of getting the Census responses turned in!

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 26th, 2021, 7:15 pm

NYC deserves some big thanks for nimbying itself out of a congressional seat. But now we need to build a shit ton of housing over the next 10 years to make sure we can keep our congressional seat by more than 89 people 😅

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 29th, 2021, 10:36 am

If MN's population passes WI's by 2030, as it is likely to do, WI would lose its 8th congressional seat. We still might lose one too, depending on the pace of growth in other parts of the country, but WI could very well be on the chopping block before MN.

Cat349F
Nicollet Mall

Postby Cat349F » April 29th, 2021, 5:59 pm

I can see no reason on the horizon why Minnesota’s growth rate would increase. With southern states growth rate double or triple of ours, I don’t see how both states won’t lose seats.
Unsustainable fossil burning fool.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 29th, 2021, 6:22 pm

Minnesota grew at a faster rate than the nation as a whole over the last 10 years. If that continues, southern states will indeed be gaining reps, but they won't be coming from us, likely.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » April 30th, 2021, 9:22 am

So, if we got the last seat, then voting for DC to become a state means voting to lose that seat?

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » April 30th, 2021, 9:28 am

I can see no reason on the horizon why Minnesota’s growth rate would increase. With southern states growth rate double or triple of ours, I don’t see how both states won’t lose seats.
I think a lot of the talk about "climate refugees" heading to Duluth or wherever is pretty overblown, but it's certainly true that the American South is becoming a more uncomfortable place to live as summers get hotter. There's a reason why many people live in Arizona or Florida only part-time.

One of the most interesting results from the recent census numbers was that the Southern states almost all undershot their expected numbers. It's true that they generally grew faster and it's true that they generally picked up seats. But they grew slower than the Census Bureau's 2019 estimates predicted, and they picked up fewer seats than those estimate predicted. It's possible that the recent numbers are inaccurate, due to COVID or the Trump administration intimidating Latinos. But if they are true, it represents a pretty startling finding and something to keep a close eye on.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » April 30th, 2021, 2:16 pm

So, if we got the last seat, then voting for DC to become a state means voting to lose that seat?
I believe the last time states were added (AK / HI), two temporary seats were added to the House and it sat at 437 members for a few years. I imagine something similar would happen here.

Of course, there's nothing stopping us, in principle, from expanding the House further. I'd personally love to see at least a 1,000-member House, but even just implementing the Wyoming rule would us close to 600 today I think.