Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
twincitizen

Re: Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Postby twincitizen » January 4th, 2017, 8:58 am

I'm in agreement that he's more useful on the City Council. Could've very well been Council President next term if he wanted to.

I will say this...he certainly is going to make the race a lot more interesting than a Betsy vs. Nekima vs. Ray Dehn contest, because he probably takes way more votes away from Betsy than from the other two. It now seems extremely unlikely that anyone will reach the 60% threshold to get the DFL endorsement. If Ray Dehn is the "NOC candidate", I doubt that faction would throw their support to Frey when Ray inevitably has a weak showing at the convention and doesn't have the funding to continue a campaign all the way to November.

I like Frey plenty, but for now I'm still #boringforbetsy

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 4th, 2017, 9:44 am

Hodges has been rolling out endorsements since Frey's announcement, so far only Quincy and Jean Wagenius. I know Quincy has some pull, and Wagenius has certainly been in office for a long time, but if I were running her campaign I'm not sure that my attempt to counter Frey (brand: young, approachable, urban) would revolve around two low-profile long-timers from the same outer edge of town. It's certainly not the kind of overwhelming display of institutional support that most incumbent mayors can count on.

I wonder which endorsements Frey has lined up?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 4th, 2017, 10:39 am

Also, I think Quincy's future is far more dependent on Hodges than the other way around. In 2013, his campaign was basically an "also this" to the Hodges campaign. If Hodges loses steam or drops out after the convention, Quincy has a longer road since he'd have to build more campaign infrastructure on his own.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 4th, 2017, 11:06 am

Hodges has been rolling out endorsements since Frey's announcement, so far only Quincy and Jean Wagenius.
The first is mildly damaging in my eyes (which I don't claim to is representative) and the second is "meh."

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 4th, 2017, 11:20 am

I don't think the personal endorsements matter that much; isn't it more about what that person can bring to the campaign in terms of fundraising ability and followers/volunteers?

Hodges also has Senator Dibble, which is probably bigger than the other two combined x10. I wouldn't be surprised to see her nab several more legislators, suburban mayors, and possibly statewide office holders. As has been noted, she's good behind the scenes and has been a good partner to other levels of government.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 4th, 2017, 11:24 am

Per Hennepin CFRS search, Frey has not yet filed an Amended Registration Form to designate Jacob Frey For Our City as a mayoral campaign rather than a Council W3 campaign. I wonder if he's tried to do this or is planning to do this, and what the regulations are regarding shifting the purpose of an existing account. Historically council candidates would set up a separate fund for a mayoral bid, but I'm not sure where the law stands on what is allowed or disallowed. I say this as someone who donated to Frey just before it became known he'd be running for mayor, and I'm very conflicted on this.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 4th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Me too. I think he'd be a fine mayor, but I have a limited amount of money that I'm going to donate to city campaigns... and Frey for Mayor is not one I care about all that much.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 4th, 2017, 12:09 pm

I don't think the personal endorsements matter that much; isn't it more about what that person can bring to the campaign in terms of fundraising ability and followers/volunteers?

Hodges also has Senator Dibble, which is probably bigger than the other two combined x10. I wouldn't be surprised to see her nab several more legislators, suburban mayors, and possibly statewide office holders. As has been noted, she's good behind the scenes and has been a good partner to other levels of government.
You're right that public personal endorsements don't matter much to most voters, but they do matter. They help shape the media narrative; they can provide fundraising lists and make appeals; and they signal to other political players the likelihood of your success. In this kind of campaign, you aren't announcing endorsements as soon as you get them, you're getting commitments well in advance that you can roll out strategically. In this regard, Hodges' response today looks weak. Dibble is a big name but he's also a given, her closest ally in the legislature and a longtime confidant. Quincy is her closest ally on the council. And then, Wagenius? This is one of the few days where showing political strength is important; it's her chance to show that the institutional DFL is solidly behind her, or that enough people are confident she will win that they're willing to risk alienating the strong challenger who just announced. That's the script here. That she couldn't do that suggests weakness.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 24th, 2017, 3:50 pm

Another mayoral candidate throws his hat in the ring: Aswar Rahman. http://aswarrahman.com/

Seems to be running on anti-tax platform combined with some progressive goodies (end homelessness, raise minimum wage) and obligatory mention of ending crime as we know it.
Now it's VoteAswar.com:
The site is pretty wild.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » January 24th, 2017, 3:54 pm

$500 filing fee is too low

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 24th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Apparently, yes. What price vanity?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 24th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Clicking on "Plan" with no results found is fun.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » January 24th, 2017, 7:07 pm

He does have a point about that convention center plaza. How did that cost $11 million?

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » January 24th, 2017, 9:09 pm

It's a big area over a parking ramp that without expensive utility work and reconstruction will remain unused

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » January 24th, 2017, 9:37 pm

That plaza looks fine to me, how old is it's current design? I know this wasn't park board money but it's a perfect example of what Nekima et al. were talking about. Hope they're using convention center profits to fund this, oh wait..
Is there a convention center thread on here? Or maybe a thread about the super bowl boondoggle?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 25th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Apparently, yes. What price vanity?
Again, let me remind everyone he started a film festival just to be able to say his films headlined a film festival.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 31st, 2017, 7:33 pm

Board rules Frey can use council committee campaign funds for mayoral run:
http://www.startribune.com/campaign-fin ... 412305103/

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Minneapolis City Council and Park Board Elections 2017

Postby xandrex » February 14th, 2017, 3:06 pm

A Hodges "intern" posted a fake Frey For Congress job listing. http://www.startribune.com/hodges-campa ... 413656113/

(Hodges has since apologized: http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 413743603/ )

Man, this election is gonna be weird.

bivaly
Block E

Postby bivaly » February 14th, 2017, 8:05 pm

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/20 ... for-mayor/

Tom Hoch is "exploring" a run for mayor. I'd imagine his candidacy would only pull support away from Frey - something that'd probably only matter in terms of the DFL endorsement process.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 15th, 2017, 1:56 pm

On one hand, it seems Tom Hoch missed his opportunity window in 2013. But on the other hand he would've struggled mightily to stand out of the crowd of 35 candidates (or even the ~6 serious ones). Can't imagine he would've finished higher than 4th (after Hodges, Andrew & Samuels).

Even without the mess of non-serious candidates this time, I still think he'll have trouble standing out among the odd dynamic of Hodges vs. Frey vs. Pounds vs. Dehn. What exactly is his constituency? Downtown boosters and other elites who are ready to jump ship from Hodges but don't like Frey? Moderates who are skeptical of the recent and proposed labor policies like sick time and minimum wage? People who want a non-politician? Is he going to talk tough on downtown crime and try to get the police union endorsement? Those are the only openings I see, but they're pretty scattershot. What's his message?