Minneapolis City Council and Park Board Elections 2017

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
gpete
Union Depot

Re: Minneapolis City Council and Park Board Elections 2017

Postby gpete » November 8th, 2017, 10:39 am

I think Cano would have been vulnerable if she had drawn a decent challenger, but Schiff was not it. Ward 9 just had bad options on the ballot.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 8th, 2017, 10:39 am

Ward 3 is shaping up to be a fascinating ranked-choice case, given Jentzen's commanding 1st choice lead over Fletcher. But Jentzen has few 2nd and 3rd choice votes, so she could definitely still lose if most of Bildsoe's voters put Fletcher 2nd. Fletcher has a commanding lead in 2nd choice votes, so he absolutely has a chance. This race could be the biggest "gap" between 1st choice total and ranked-choice results in local election history.

In Ward 1, Reich leads by 173 votes, but he also has 300 more 2nd choice votes than Pessenda. 851 votes for the 3rd place candidate (John Hayden) will be re-allocated. Pessenda would need to pick up ~175 more of those votes than Reich does, so at minimum like ~515 to Reich's 335. It would appear Reich has it, based on his 1st choice and 2nd choice lead over Pessenda.

In Ward 4, Barb has a small lead in 1st choice (119 votes), but significantly fewer 2nd choice. 3rd place Gasca has 632 votes to be re-allocated and 4th place Hansen (GOP) has 217. In theory, Phillipe should eek out a win here, but it won't be by much.

In Ward 11, Schroeder has a tiny lead (31 votes) over Quincy in 1st choice, but that will turn into a huge lead when Mauter's 2,696 votes are re-allocated, presumably the vast majority to Schroeder. I don't think Quincy has a path.

PB At-Large seems set with Forney, Vetaw, and French having enough room between them and 4th place Derus. Henry and Hogan are clearly on the outside at 5th/6th place. Forney coming in 1st is baffling. Aren't her terrible newspaper ads enough to turn people off? Huge congrats to Vetaw for pulling off a victory despite the late start, not seeking the endorsement, lack of name recognition, etc.

The last thing I'll mention is that in 2013, no one with the DFL endorsement lost election. If Fletcher comes out on top, that will remain true for the City Council this year. For Park Board, it appears the DFL endorsement has much less weight, with only French getting elected, and Hogan/Henry trailing significantly.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » November 8th, 2017, 11:26 am

Forney coming in 1st is baffling. Aren't her terrible newspaper ads enough to turn people off?
I 1st choiced Forney. I don't get the paper, and never saw her ads there. What made them terrible?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 8th, 2017, 11:37 am

I don't know about the ads but working with her on SWLRT made it clear she's focused on wealthy white homeowners.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 8th, 2017, 11:37 am

They're in the Journal / Southwest Journal, Nokomis-Longfellow Messenger, etc. They're obnoxious black and white ads of her making stupid faces / gestures, and they look EXACTLY like her realtor ads, which often run in the same paper. One of her real estate ads (not campaign ad) even uses the catchphrase "ELECT WITH MEG". I don't know if that's explicitly illegal, but holy crap it should be. I don't think a candidate running for a higher, more visible office would be able to get away with that crap. Apparently she's been running the same ones for 20 years too.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 8th, 2017, 11:41 am

Yep. I'm really sick of seeing them, both election and business ads which as you correctly point out, are pretty much the same thing.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 8th, 2017, 11:50 am

Ward 9 voter checking in here, and yeah our candidates were a real tire fire this year. I'm very worried about what Cano will do to try and seek and maintain power when she's not the only clearly progressive person of color on the council.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: Minneapolis City Council and Park Board Elections 2017

Postby David Greene » November 8th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Ward 9 voter checking in here, and yeah our candidates were a real tire fire this year. I'm very worried about what Cano will do to try and seek and maintain power when she's not the only clearly progressive person of color on the council.
It seems like she learned something from her first term but I'm not sure it's the right thing.

Biggydrink
Block E

Postby Biggydrink » November 8th, 2017, 2:22 pm

But Jentzen has few 2nd and 3rd choice votes, so she could definitely still lose if most of Bildsoe's voters put Fletcher 2nd.
Nailed it - Bildsoe voters went 1750 2nd for Fletcher, vs 250 2nd for Jentzen. 700ish exhausted.

Fletcher wins ward 3!

http://vote.minneapolismn.gov/results/2 ... tabulation

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 8th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Alright Fletcher! As stated above, my predictions are that Barb is out, but Reich eeks out a win. I'm totally fine with that result too. With Johnson (prez), Glidden (vice-prez), and Quincy (budget chair) all gone, we do need to retain some old hands. Pessenda also struck me on the kinda wacky side, so I wasn't pulling for her the way I was for Schroeder/Mauter or Flisrand.

That said, I'm glad Goodman will be de-powered (though it seems likely she will remain chair of an important committee). Even if Lisa Bender becomes council prez, she's not gonna leave Lisa Goodman with no responsibility.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 8th, 2017, 2:43 pm

That's an interesting question. Where does Goodman land? I am feeling pretty good about a Bender presidency. What do committee assignments look like in that situation? What do we *want* them to look like? At the very least I want new leadership on TPW, people who will advocate like hell for Midtown and W. Broadway.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 8th, 2017, 2:49 pm

(Dropping my regular take that we don't need advocates for projects like that, we simply need to come to the table with money. Unlike Nic-Central, which was planned only by the City, Midtown and W Broadway were part of the MetCouncil's planning process and fit within their regional transit system goals and operating plans. They just need to be funded, and a 20-30% share from the City would go a LONG way.)

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » November 8th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Schroeder wins 11 and Cano wins 9, as expected.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 8th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Midtown really needs a backer at the county. It currently does not have one. Short of voting out the entire Minneapolis cohort of the HC board in 2018 (McLaughlin, Higgins, Greene), I honestly think we might just have to wait a couple years until shovels are in the ground on the two LRT extensions. Opat opposes it, and even though he's only 1 of 7 votes, the lack of a strong "champion" for Midtown essentially means that it's on ice until further notice. While money from Minneapolis would be nice, it's not even necessary as the county will have plenty of it with the doubled sales tax. Most importantly, the Greenway is county property, so it's a political problem at the county more than any other factor. If Minneapolis were to come up with transit funding at the city level, I'd want that spent on aBRT components within city limits (shelters, bus bulbs, transit lanes, etc.)

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 8th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Fair enough. But until literally several months ago the county did *not* have the extra money to build Midtown, and it was slated as a project for the "increased revenue scenario" in the Met Council plans. I guess maybe I'm downplaying politics, but I'm confused how it needs a champion if it's on the MC's priority list, has been through rigorous analysis to determine where it sits in cost/benefit realm, and now we have the money for it. Yes, LRT projects need shovels in the ground, but they're both well down that path anyway and the county has already committed tons of money for them. So knowing all that, what *other* projects is Hennepin County looking at with all that unallocated revenue, and why does Midtown need a champion rather than it just being "next in line"?

I'll say that I wholeheartedly agree with city money -> aBRT improvements, even funding regular route improvements identified in the SIP.

But all of this is mostly just skirting around the issue that someone on, or leading, TPW doesn't have much say/sway in what gets done on transit.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » November 8th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Ellison won 5 and Cunningham won 4, so we'll have a bunch of new faces, and a new president.

Reich won re-election in Ward 1. As David Brauer points out, he is the last one remaining who voted for the Vikings stadium.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » November 9th, 2017, 8:51 am

I didn't win the race but we did win the battle. There's a 7-2 "progressive" majority on the Park Board now and it's highly likely that Brad Bourn will be voted president for his 3rd term. Londel and LaTrisha are exactly the kind of folks we want on the Park Board, and I honestly think Meg will vote with the "progressive" side more than not. Meg's got a big heart and I think her voting record will be influenced by the people that surround her.

In other news, I've been touched by UrbanMSP/ YIMBY Twitter support I've seen from y'all. Thank you! With my newfound free time, I hope to write a bit for Streets.mn, something I've been wanting to do for years.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 9th, 2017, 9:17 am

Midtown really needs a backer at the county. It currently does not have one. Short of voting out the entire Minneapolis cohort of the HC board in 2018 (McLaughlin, Higgins, Greene), I honestly think we might just have to wait a couple years until shovels are in the ground on the two LRT extensions. Opat opposes it, and even though he's only 1 of 7 votes, the lack of a strong "champion" for Midtown essentially means that it's on ice until further notice. While money from Minneapolis would be nice, it's not even necessary as the county will have plenty of it with the doubled sales tax. Most importantly, the Greenway is county property, so it's a political problem at the county more than any other factor. If Minneapolis were to come up with transit funding at the city level, I'd want that spent on aBRT components within city limits (shelters, bus bulbs, transit lanes, etc.)
But someone at the city needs to be pushing it, having conversations with county folks and figuring out a way forward. Beause it is entirely within Minneapolis, the county isn't going to lead on it without serious pressure and back-up from the city.

Minneapolis throwing some money in would help. While I agree aBRT, shelters, etc. should be a priority, we know that Midtown will have a huge benefit to transit riders. Without someone working it, it won't happen.

W. Broadway needs a serious study and AFAIK the Met Council has no plans to do one. So it's going to fall to the county I guess. Again, since it will probably be mostly in Minneapolis, the city has to lead. Midtown and W. Broadway could be joined a the hip to broaden support at the county. If Midtown were redfined to go out to Hopkins or beyond, even better in terms of county support. W. Broadway should probably get to at least downtown Robbinsdale for the same reason, in addition to the connectivity benefits.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 9th, 2017, 9:28 am

We are, of course, veering way off course. But MT is doing a serious study for W Broadway: https://www.metrotransit.org/west-broad ... nsit-study and one of the options did include the line ending in Robbinsdale but of course we all really like mixed traffic streetcars.

Someone should move this to a general transit or city politics discussion :)

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » November 11th, 2017, 5:26 pm

I also want to note that Minneapolis now has two transgender individuals on the City council. That in itself is awesome!!!!!!