Minneapolis City Council and Park Board Elections 2017

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
masstrlk67
City Center

Re: Minneapolis City Council and Park Board Elections 2017

Postby masstrlk67 » January 4th, 2017, 12:30 pm

There's definitely a particular Progressive doctrine that seems to be coalescing, and it's apparently all about purity tests as opposed to critical thinking.
Why have "Fight For 15" when you could have "Think Critically For Who Knows Maybe Like 12 At Some Point In The Future Whenever The State Or Maybe The Counties Start To Care"?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 4th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Right, because clearly the same $15 minimum wage makes sense in Manhattan, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Eveleth.

Alliteration in political slogans is an underrated component of economic policy direction.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 4th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Good politics is lowering people's expectations so low that they will never have the motivation to ever vote.

I wonder how one can look at the last forty years of this country and come to the conclusion that the dominant economic approach has provided good results.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 4th, 2017, 11:12 pm

I'd rather see a Minneapolis UBI than a Minneapolis $15 min wage.
what is a ubi
The multi-way boulevard of government finance policy.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

bivaly
Block E

Postby bivaly » January 5th, 2017, 4:28 pm

http://tcbmag.com/Industries/Politics-P ... r-Business

Some real choice quotes from the conservative wing of the council. Palmisano's quotes are especially laughable.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 13th, 2017, 9:10 am

TC Daily Planet article about the 2017 candidates of color / LGBTQ
http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/seven-cand ... y-council/

Notable that Cano's challenger did not respond to requests. This confirms my suspicion that he's not a serious candidate. Is anyone going to challenge Cano for all the nonsense & negative press she's brought upon the City Council? That would be a real shame if no one in Ward 9 stepped up.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 13th, 2017, 10:30 am

While it's cool that we have so many POC and LGBTQ folks running for council, I thought the piece did a disservice by not even mentioning other challengers in other wards such as Jeremy Schroeder in Ward 11 or Zack Wefel in Ward 1. Identity obviously has a place in city races, and we need a council that is representative of our city. But identity isn't the only factor, and people need to make decisions based on experience, policy positions, existing relationships with stakeholders, values, and other factors.

Also, two city hall insiders I've spoken with call Farah "The real deal" and "A very serious challenger." So I don't think it's sufficient to write him off in Ward 9 just because of one piece.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 13th, 2017, 10:36 am

My take on his not wanting to be included as he doesn't want his identity to be the focus of his candidacy.

I'm also worried that he's a much more conservative candidate and would see being in TC Daily Planet as bad press for him.

bivaly
Block E

Postby bivaly » January 13th, 2017, 10:57 am

bermanp7
Block E

Postby bermanp7 » January 18th, 2017, 11:13 pm

So I've been thinking a lot about the forum comments I've seen since my Dec. 29 "Go Janne!" post. I wanted to reply now, before Friday's inauguration and whatever chaos follows from that. Granted, what's happening in Minneapolis is tiny compared to the madness in DC, but it's still significant, and more importantly it's 1000x easier to make a difference here. Think globally, act locally.

Back to the forum comments: It's been asserted that the differences between Janne and Lisa G are small. There's also been discussion of the Strib's infamous "left and more left" article on the council races, with particular attention given to the "15 now!" folks in our city.

Presumably if Janne were firmly in the "15 now!" camp, then it would be hard to dismiss the Ward 7 race as a case of "small differences." Looking at http://www.janneformpls.org/issues , I see calls to increase the minimum wage but no mention of $15 or an accelerated timeline for its adoption. This suggests that Janne is not in fact a dogmatic "15 now!"-er. With that said, there's still plenty of distance here between Janne and Lisa, who (as RailBaronYarr points out) resisted so much as a study on minimum wage.

I think I've seen Lisa eagerly take the Downtown Council line on multiple issues where the reasoning seemed flimsy at best. I'm thinking not only of minimum wage but also that Third Avenue redesign and even the Clean Energy Partnership, whose funding Lisa was willing to put in jeopardy (remember Latte Levy?). I'm tempted to conclude that (i) the downtown business folks undervalue good policy while overvaluing their spot in the pecking order, and (ii) Lisa aligns herself with those priorities.

If I read mplsjaromir correctly, then that user is saying that the DFL establishment could use some shaking up. I agree! I don't think I've seen an answer to RailBaronYarr's question about where exactly do Lisa Goodman and Barb Johnson differ. My sense is that Barb and Lisa lead the Council's establishment faction. Re: Ward 7, I anticipate that that establishment won't be treating Janne as a small difference from Lisa. Now that Janne has come out of the gate strong (raised $20K in a short time span!), I expect that they'll be going hard after her. Janne will need help to win.

I tend to go out of my way to support candidates who are passionate yet thoughtful, who listen to all sides without unduly privileging one or another. The Democratic Party desperately needs people like that to step up. I see those good qualities in Janne. I've signed up to do a phone bank for her next Tuesday 1/24, and I invite you to sign up for one too. Thanks for reading.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 23rd, 2017, 2:58 pm

Got a call from Schroeder and was pretty impressed.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 24th, 2017, 4:26 pm

We could probably start a separate thread to discuss minimum wage, but I was wondering if any of you math/finance whizzes could help set some reference points for a discussion.

MN's minimum wage is now at $9.50, the increases passed by the 2014 law now fully phased in. There will be no increase in 2017. Indexing to inflation starts on Jan. 1, 2018.

How much of an annual increase can we expect? Approximately what will MN's minimum wage be in 2020, following the third increase?

Despite the mindless "15NOW!" rhetoric, I'm reasonably confident that the City Council doesn't actually have the votes to do something so foolish. I could see the Council coalescing around $12 "now" (likely taking effect on 1/1/18 or 7/1/18) and phasing up to $15 by 2022 or something at a reasonable increase of $0.50/hr per year.

It should be noted that the soonest any other city will reach $15/hour is in 2018 (NYC & SF). LA & DC reach $15 in 2020. All jurisdictions that have passed "$15" have considerably higher costs of living than Minneapolis. Also, all other jurisdictions are larger geographically than Minneapolis, making up a much larger share of their regional economies and populations. New York's is actually a state law, with a 3-tiered wage increase with NYC hitting $15, suburbs $14, and upstate $13 (or something like that). A handful of other states will raise the minimum wage to $12 by 2020, including CO, AZ, ME, & WA (actually $13.50 in WA).

My personal opinion is that a city-only minimum wage is bad policy in general, but if we're going to do it (as it appears), then let's not be stupid. Something like $12/hr in 2018 and not reaching $15 before 2022 probably won't kill the city. I find it extremely unlikely that any other city in Minnesota will take a similar vote any time soon. Maaaybe, maaaybe St. Louis Park or Edina will do something eventually. Their councils probably have the votes, should it come up. St. Paul is probably even less likely to take action than those two suburbs, unless it becomes an issue during the Mayoral campaign. I think you could possibly find 4 votes at Hennepin County, but apparently it is crystal clear in state law that counties do not have that power, only cities do.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 24th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Further adding to how stupid the "15NOW" rhetoric is, the charter amendment was for a phased in minimum wage increase. Because the rent can't wait, but actually it can a little I guess.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 29th, 2017, 1:13 pm

Gary Schiff apparently wants to be back on City Council - he's facing off against Cano. This will certainly make the Ward 9 election more interesting.

http://www.startribune.com/ex-council-m ... 412063733/

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 29th, 2017, 2:57 pm

Maybe it would be hard for a guy like Gary Schiff to run against Alondra Cano no matter what path he chose, but I have a hard time imagining a policy platform that would play into her hands more effectively than "wealthy establishment white guy wants to flood our impoverished minority neighborhood with more police and kill our higher minimum wage."

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » January 29th, 2017, 4:30 pm

I'm not a Mpls voter at all, but my boyfriend lived in Ward 9 until recently, so I followed this race more closely last time. I want to like Cano, and have a lot of friends who supported her. But her repeated inappropriate behavior disappointed me... although it was not illegal, I'm still really disappointed in her publicizing the personal information of private citizens who disagreed with her. I generally think her heart is in the right place, but her actions seem knee-jerk and impulsive.

Anyway, Schiff does not seem like a step backward, despite Cano's statements. I could probably still be convinced otherwise.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 30th, 2017, 9:05 am

Schiff may be one of our best past council members. He knows how to get things done, and that would be a great change. He also knows not to pursue awful policy such as rent control which would actually severely harm progressive outcomes.

bivaly
Block E

Postby bivaly » February 1st, 2017, 9:13 am

Mpls. Council Member Cano rebuked for defying City Hall security - A letter from three officials took her to task for defying guards preventing after-hours entrance to City Hall.

http://www.startribune.com/cano-release ... 412349733/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 1st, 2017, 10:08 am

She has a small cadre of supporters who think she can do no wrong, but at this point it's impossible to see her getting 60% at the DFL endorsing convention. She gives bad impressions of both the City of Minneapolis and the political left as a whole. More harm than good, by a mile.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » February 2nd, 2017, 3:39 pm

What's up UrbanMSP? Devin Hogan here. I'm running for Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board and would like to earn your support.

I'm probably the first person to run for MPRB with freeway lids as part of their platform. Also, wouldn't it be great for the parks to put an "urbanist" in their Planning Commission seat? You can check out all the details at http://www.devinforparks.com.

I'm building an inclusive campaign and visiting parks all across the city. Ask me questions about the park board! Also, please tell me what you want to see in your parks, either here or via email. Keep up to date here: https://www.facebook.com/devinforparks/

The best way you can help is to caucus on April 4th. Let's build something great together.