MN Fats
Union Depot

Re: Minnesota Governor Election 2018

Postby MN Fats » August 13th, 2018, 9:57 am

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 14th, 2018, 9:45 pm

I know this is probably wishful thinking through blue-colored glasses, but I'd be curious what would have happened if Pawlenty run an adult-in-the-room, rich-guy-from-Eagan campaign that better reflect who he actually is, rather than so baldly trying to piggyback on Trump's immigration rhetoric and running obviously false ads claiming his opponent is a liberal.

He probably still would have lost. I guess I'm just not convinced that Republicans have to kowtow to Trump to get elected, especially when Trumpism is so unnatural to the candidate. But again, probably just wishful thinking.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » August 15th, 2018, 6:43 am

I don't see a Wisconsin thread, but the possibilities of a Democrat Governor as looking HUGEEE. First thing that comes to mind - rail link Minneapolis to Chicago via Milwaukee and Madison

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 15th, 2018, 8:28 am

I guess I'm just not convinced that Republicans have to kowtow to Trump to get elected, especially when Trumpism is so unnatural to the candidate. But again, probably just wishful thinking.
Depends on the slice of electorate you're trying to snag, presumably. Watch Paulsen -- he's going to be running away from Trump for the next three months.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » August 15th, 2018, 9:15 am

Tim Walz vs. Jeff Johnson

Thoughts?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 15th, 2018, 9:22 am

Johnson has fully embraced Trump (and has been embraced back, with an endorsement). That locks up the 30% who support their God Emperor without question, but is going to really be a challenge with the libertarians and suburban Republican women that have been moving blue in the special elections throughout 2017 and 2018. Not to mention the farmers who are being hurt by tariffs who are being told they're the eggs that need to be broken for the greater omelette.

I think Walz has it. I have seen one person claim they're going to vote third party because they didn't get Murphy, but I think that's an outlier. With Omar on the MN-5 ballot, we're going to see a lot of first time turnout that will help the rest of the ticket.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 15th, 2018, 9:54 am

If the lesson uber-progressives learned from 2016 is that throwing a fit and voting third party because the most progressive Dem didn't make it onto the ticket is the way to go, we deserve Johnson.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 15th, 2018, 10:24 am

I'm going to vote Walz. But I'm not sure if I'll campaign for him.

Few questions based on his US House website:
Southern Minnesotans are uniquely interested in both renewable and non-renewable energy resources, and I value your thoughts regarding coal mining activities. Should legislation on the issue of coal mining come before me for a vote, I will take your thoughts into consideration.
Does he have solid stance on coal now?
The Keystone XL Project is an extension to the Keystone pipeline that links oil supplies in Alberta, Canada through the Dakota's, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas.

I have always supported a broad based domestic energy portfolio. Right now, we’re sending $1 billion dollars a day to countries that hate us. That doesn’t make sense, they’ll hate us for free. While I have always supported a transition to new, clean energy technology, I know that will not happen overnight. We must continue to take significant steps towards an energy independent future by developing North American energy sources whether it be conventional or renewable.

I support the Keystone project. I also strongly believe the project must follow federally mandated environmental health and safety requirements and TransCanada must prove to us that they can move this fuel responsibly.

Recently H.R. 3, the Northern Route Approval Act came before the full House. While I support moving forward with the Keystone Pipeline, I voted against this legislation because I believe it went too far in eliminating safeguards and oversight that are designed to keep us safe and our communities healthy. Furthermore, the bill would give unprecedented rights to a foreign company, TransCanda, that American companies do not get. Ultimately the bill passed the House on a vote of 241-175. The President has vowed to veto H.R. 3 should it ever cross his desk.
Will he be pushing/supporting Line 3?

Then there was his support for the Copper-Nickel mines and the land swap with the BWCA. Which I'm disappointed in any DFLer who supports this. Is he still in favor of these issues? I like him for a majority of issues, but it's the ones with long term impact that I'm a bit nervous on. Murphy was in 2nd in St. Louis and Lake County, and won Cook. DFL voters in the North want protection.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 15th, 2018, 11:02 am

Just a random thing: the number of voters for all candidates in Cook County is approximately equal to the number of Hennepin County voters who supported Ole Savior.

And DFL voters on the Range went pretty hard for Swanson, so I'm not sure how you can draw any particular conclusions from that.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 15th, 2018, 11:10 am

Tim Walz vs. Jeff Johnson

Thoughts?
A thing that's going to be a pet peeve for the next few months of me is that it's Walz/Flanagan. To me, Peggy is a key part of the ticket.

Which is a message I'd like to send the media who cut away from her speech so they could say that Tim would be speaking soon. Dude. I want to here what she has to say and how he will play a part in holding Tim accountable to progressives.

That said, Johnson is a gift to the DFL. Pawlenty might have been able to pull of the required pivot from Trumpism (look how he's able to sell the narrative that he lost because he's not Trumpy enough, even though he went pretty hard with it) because everyone already has the notion of him being somehow "moderate" in mind. I don't think Johnson can do that, and he may not even be smart enough to really try. Add the Omar voters and the DFL shouldn't have a problem as long as people don't get complacent (or too lefty purist) and turn out to vote.

As for mining near the BWCA, I think there's actually room for reasonable disagreement (I don't have a strong view myself).

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 15th, 2018, 11:26 am

If the lesson uber-progressives learned from 2016 is that throwing a fit and voting third party because the most progressive Dem didn't make it onto the ticket is the way to go, we deserve Johnson.
The person in question, when pressed, complained about a lack of ranked choice voting. Then ignored us when those of us speaking to her pointed out that the only way to get ranked choice voting is to stop spoiling elections for the party that is open to it. Again, that's probably an outlier. I hope.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 15th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Me too. I've also only seen one person on the socials that is saying they straight up won't vote for Walz/Flanagan, which is less than I expected from the rhetoric flying around Monday and Tuesday.

Re: his stance on coal: I don't actually care about his, or any MN Gubernatorial candidate's, stance on coal. It's dead. Electing Mr. Peabody himself as the governor wouldn't get a new coal plant built by a Minnesota utility at this point.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: Minnesota Governor Election 2018

Postby David Greene » August 15th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Then ignored us when those of us speaking to her pointed out that the only way to get ranked choice voting is to stop spoiling elections for the party that is open to it.
It seems like a party should be able to implement whatever voting system it wants for its own primaries, but maybe there is some state restriction on that due to voting equipment concerns. Anyone know?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 16th, 2018, 9:56 am

Getting ranked choice for primaries is definitely our best shot at further reducing the power of party endorsements. With ranked-choice primaries, I bet a lot more candidates would stop "pledging to drop out if another candidate is endorsed". After a few cycles of that, you'd think the party would have to seriously consider altering the process and meaning of party endorsements (i.e. the party should just endorse ALL candidates that sign something stating they agree with the party platform)

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » August 17th, 2018, 7:49 am

I don't see why candidates even bother with those pledges anymore. How often has an endorsement (from either party) really mattered, especially for gubernatorial campaigns? Perpich didn't need it for one of his terms, Carlson never got it, Pawlenty almost didn't get it for his first term, Dayton didn't even try to get it in 2010, and now Walz. Why keep pursuing it?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 17th, 2018, 9:16 am

Well, I'd argue that it probably helped Johnson out quite a bit. And Murphy too, even if it wasn't enough to get her the win.

But the whole endorsement process makes me irate, so yes, whatever logic it takes to get rid of it is fine by me.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 18th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Walz is starting to announce his appointments, and it looks like the MAK is his choice for MnDOT.

https://twitter.com/morningtake/status/ ... 1945315335

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 18th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Maybe he was ready to be done anyways, but I really liked Charlie Zelle in this role (ok mostly just his manner of speaking and somewhat unplaceable east coast accent...but also he was open to studying freeway caps and such. I don't recall any specific situation where I was like "I disagree with this decision")