Policies, procedures, & workflows

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Policies, procedures, & workflows

Postby Multimodal » January 24th, 2018, 10:58 am

(I have a specific question, but figured I’d create a general thread title to eventually cover similar things.)

In 2018, what do most governments, commissions, committees, etc. do for downloadable documents, in terms of format?

If a developer submits a proposal, for example, or a consulting company produces a report, how does the council or commission make that document available?

Do they scan the entire document as graphic pages and upload the whole thing as a PDF (typically low resolution, and without searchable text)? Or do they require reports & plans to be submitted electronically as an editable Word, PowerPoint, or PDF, and upload the original document or a PDF rendition of it (which would have medium-to-high resolution graphics and searchable text)?

Are any cities changing how this works? What’s your preference?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Policies, procedures, & workflows

Postby xandrex » January 24th, 2018, 11:31 am

I work for a company that helps the public sector deal with this and...it's kind of all over the place depending on resources and the technology a given government has at its disposal. It also comes down to how city attorneys interpret the law for disclosure, accessibility, etc. (sometimes two jurisdictions right next to each other will have wildly different ways of doing things because of this).