2020 Presidential Election

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
Didier
Capella Tower

2020 Presidential Election

Postby Didier » May 20th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Looks like we don’t have a thread on this yet. So let’s start with a hypothetical:

If Amy were to get the VP nomination, who would replace her in the senate?

twincitizen

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Postby twincitizen » May 21st, 2020, 9:42 am

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 21st, 2020, 11:13 am

Not to be a pessimist, but if Amy gets picked, I don't think we have to worry about her replacement.

She didn't make enough of an impact on the country, is not ideologically different enough from Biden to make for a good ticket balance, and would be about as useless to Biden as Tim Kaine was to Clinton.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 21st, 2020, 2:11 pm

I actually think Amy would be a pretty solid pick among a field where nobody is really perfect.

Amy's biggest attribute is that she's competent to the point of being kind of lame, which after four years of Donald Trump might actually be an ideal quality right now. It also doesn't hurt that she's demonstrated this in a bunch of national debates. Elizabeth Warren is extremely competent too, and more progressive and better known, but there's not much to suggest she'd be more electable and she's arguably more valuable in the senate. I could take or leave Kamala.

I recognize the appeal of a minority woman too, and Stacey Abrams and Val Demings both have their appeals, though each also require a greater leap of faith based on their current positions and experience. The Michigan and New Mexico governors both have potential too. I don't know a lot about either, though.

So all things considered, yeah, Amy doesn't make me giddy or anything, but she's probably the safest pick in an election that most people just want to win. The only real concern would be if a wing of the party was really upset that she's white, which no doubt some people would be, but the people who seem most fixated on that are the white progressives on Twitter. And it's not like we'd be passing up a no-brainer black woman. So I don't know.

As to the Tim Kaine comparison, I just don't think much about the 2016 election can be considered normal precedent. What it came down to was Hillary Clinton being the unique candidate capable of losing that unlosable election and Kaine, like most VP candidates, likely had little influence either way.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » May 22nd, 2020, 7:31 am

Yes, no one believes that Tim Kaine was the reason Hillary Clinton lost her election.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » May 22nd, 2020, 8:26 am

VP stakes are MUCH higher this time around. Biden is 78 and has signaled he wouldn't run again if elected. Klobuchar is a terrible choice for VP for many reasons, both ideologically and the whole staff abuse thing/wrongful conviction of Myon Burrell. If A Klo is passed over for VP then she would probably sail through Senate confirmation as Attorney General.

Governor Walz makes the appointment and I could see him elevating Angie Craig to the seat. My fantasyland picks would be Erin Murphy or Angela Conley.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » May 22nd, 2020, 2:40 pm

Peggy Flanagan would be a solid pick. Naming Craig would put the 2nd back on the table in a low-turnout special election.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 21st, 2020, 4:49 pm

Don't need to worry about Amy any longer. I think Biden can make a better choice.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 21st, 2020, 8:59 pm

Does this put Amy back in the drivers seat to succeed Walz?

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 22nd, 2020, 7:19 am

I haven't seen any indication that Amy is interested in being Governor. She might accept a high profile cabinet position, but otherwise I expect she'll remain a senator, which is really the best job in the country, maybe with an eye towards running again for President in 2024 if Biden serves only one term.

Walz will run for reelection in 2022. In 2026, who knows. That's a long time from now. Minnesota doesn't have term limits, so Walz could run for a third term (provided he wins a second). Flanagan, Hortman, Kent, Murphy, Ellison, Phillips, Craig, etc. There are a ton of credible contenders.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 22nd, 2020, 11:47 am

She's also been rumored for the Supreme Court., but given the raise in her political profile I'm not sure that is feasible.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 22nd, 2020, 1:15 pm

Of course a lot can change, but I'd think Amy would be a shoo-in for governor when Walz is done. I also think ending an esteemed political career as a governor would be more appealing than being a cabinet official or senator in gridlocked Washington, though I realize others could reasonably disagree. All depends on the person, I guess.

The idea of her running for president again tires me, though. Let's be honest, she was never going to be president, and it was kind of a fluke that she ended up being one of the last people standing in 2020.

Is there any real precedent for an active politician later being selected to the supreme court? I remember people were toying with that idea for Obama, but that was clearly more West Wing fan fiction than something that could actually happen. Just seems kind of far fetched that with all of the actual judges out there, Amy Klobuchar would randomly be the most qualified person.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 22nd, 2020, 1:43 pm

Is there any real precedent for an active politician later being selected to the supreme court?
You have to go back to the Truman administration (Harold Burton) for the last one, so... kind of? It was once relatively common.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 22nd, 2020, 1:54 pm

There were some reports like this from back when Obama was POTUS. The rationale for nominating her should still hold for Biden who seems to really like her. At the same time if he sees her as someone he can work with, would AG make more sense?

—Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar

Picking a current colleague of the senators who will be voting on Obama's nominee could be one strategy to increase prospects for a vote. Klobuchar, in her second Senate term, is a former prosecutor and member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.
https://www.mankatofreepress.com/news/l ... 1e314.html

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 23rd, 2020, 1:43 pm

Is there any real precedent for an active politician later being selected to the supreme court? I remember people were toying with that idea for Obama, but that was clearly more West Wing fan fiction than something that could actually happen.
Taft was appointed to the Supreme Court post-presidency and eventually became Chief Justice. Reportedly, he enjoyed the job far more than he did the Presidency.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 24th, 2020, 9:33 am

Perhaps I'm being uncharitable, but I think the only person in power seriously considering her for the court is her.

As for governor, she could run, but if elected she'd have to actually do things other than hunt for cameras to get in front of. She should stay in the Senate where she can follow her true passion.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 24th, 2020, 2:43 pm

In this respect, Amy Klobuchar is different from other politicians how? You don't like her, and that's fine. But by most accounts, Klobuchar has been more effective at actually getting legislation passed than your average legislator.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » June 25th, 2020, 10:09 am

In this respect, Amy Klobuchar is different from other politicians how? You don't like her, and that's fine. But by most accounts, Klobuchar has been more effective at actually getting legislation passed than your average legislator.
Passing legislation doesn't automatically equal passing legislation with a positive impact. There are a lot of politicians who want to *pass bills* to show they are "pragmatic and get things done". But the content of those bills still matters. That may be why people are skeptical about her. She values optics too highly compared to governing.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 25th, 2020, 1:03 pm

I've never quite understood that argument. It's not like anyone else has been out there passing major legislation of any kind since January 2011. It's either been the small stuff that Amy has focused on, or... nothing.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 26th, 2020, 9:04 am

Other politicians show up for things, or send their staff, even when there aren't cameras around, because they're actually interested in issues and/or their constituents.

But no, she's not uniquely bad. I wouldn't even say she is "bad." But she's not particularly good.