Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Opus Ritz Block Development

Postby grant1simons2 » September 26th, 2014, 8:46 am

I'd love to see this tall and to designed by a firm that was founded here so maybe they could team up with another firm

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 26th, 2014, 9:25 am

mrcity

Postby mrcity » September 26th, 2014, 9:29 am

1. Is Lord & Taylor really scouting for a site in downtown or was that just a made-up scenario?
You'd have to ask Avian. Frankly, it all sounds a bit rumor-ish, if none of this ever leaked to the media.
I for one don't think it's worthless to talk about what's going on behind the scenes of potentially major projects. Yes, there is a Norman Foster design for the Ritz Block. I could even describe it. Yes, Lord & Taylor signed a letter of intent to anchor the retail promenade. Yes, several international firms signed letters of intent for the office portion, and yes, the Four Seasons planned a 62-story hotel here.

And sadly it seems, yes, Opus does not want to partner with anyone else but does not have the deep pockets to build anything other than two residential towers.
Pipe dream perhaps , but I would like to see something like the 4 seasons hotel/comcast tower going up in Philidelphia. If a crappy cable operator such as comcast can build the tallest building outside nyc and chicago; perhaps a conservative minneapolis corporation could do the same:

http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/phi ... gy-center/

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 26th, 2014, 9:41 am

Pipe dream perhaps , but I would like to see something like the 4 seasons hotel/comcast tower going up in Philidelphia. If a crappy cable operator such as comcast can build the tallest building outside nyc and chicago; perhaps a conservative minneapolis corporation could do the same:

http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/phi ... gy-center/
God that would be simply amazing. I'd love to eat at a restaurant on the 50th+ floor of a new building downtown, 800ft above the river and city.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 26th, 2014, 9:43 am

Back when the top of IDS was open as part of the hotel, I had brunch there a couple times. That was pretty amazing.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 26th, 2014, 9:48 am

Back when the top of IDS was open as part of the hotel, I had brunch there a couple times. That was pretty amazing.
I never got the chance. I'm always disappointed that there are really no options for any true height options in the metro.
Foshay observation aside, I hate that you can't get high and look out 360 degrees. Just because we don't have mountains or other geographic attributes to gaze at doesn't mean nobody wants to see things from that perspective.

I want someone to realize that missing element from our great region and do something that allows people to view the river, the cities & suburbs from high up.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 26th, 2014, 10:28 am

Just crash a wedding up there some weekend... dress nicely and stare out the windows (which is what everyone else does up there before a reception dinner starts). There are plenty of views, including excellent views of Target Field/North Loop, without going into the area where the dinners are set up.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 26th, 2014, 10:37 am

Pretty sure the Marquette still has Brunch up there...I think maybe not every Sunday anymore, but on Holidays, and Mother's day and such...

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 26th, 2014, 1:16 pm

I think what we all are really trying to say is that we would like to be inspired, excited and feel like there are not many big picture thinkers out there right now. I remember when the IDS was going up! It was so completely different than anything that we had downtown that you felt almost euphoric as the glass panels went higher and higher... for years we marveled at the way the sky was reflected in the facade sun, clouds, sunsets and city lights at night. Few of us on URBANMSP have felt this for a long long time. Developers have forgotten the energy that is generated by exciting additions to the cityscape and the skyline... give us more reasons to spend all of our time and money downtown... make your buildings the must have address.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » September 26th, 2014, 5:36 pm

1. Is Lord & Taylor really scouting for a site in downtown or was that just a made-up scenario?
You'd have to ask Avian. Frankly, it all sounds a bit rumor-ish, if none of this ever leaked to the media.
:| At this point I may never again respond, so I'll just say this. I have been privy to information that comes from two people (whom I have great respect for) who have directly negotiated with a certain retailer and who have updated me on the ups and downs of said negotiations for more than a year. And I am not the only one on this site who knows about the situation. Yes, some members of the media are well aware of this retailer's intentions. But none of the people involved in the project will speak with the media even on terms of anonymity so to print anything at all about it would pretty much violate any journalistic integrity. That said, the fact that one of the direct negotiators chose to divulge the name of the retailer and many details about the project on another website was her choice and so those of us aware of the project are feeling a little more free to talk about it.

There are people on this site and others who are not merely architectural fanboys. Many are directly involved in projects around the Twin Cities and elsewhere in the nation. If all some people want is "official, confirmed public announcements" then I suggest they just monitor Google News and stop hanging around UrbanMSP.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

mrcity

Postby mrcity » September 26th, 2014, 6:03 pm

:| At this point I may never again respond, so I'll just say this. I have been privy to information that comes from two people (whom I have great respect for) who have directly negotiated with a certain retailer and who have updated me on the ups and downs of said negotiations for more than a year. And I am not the only one on this site who knows about the situation. Yes, some members of the media are well aware of this retailer's intentions. But none of the people involved in the project will speak with the media even on terms of anonymity so to print anything at all about it would pretty much violate any journalistic integrity. That said, the fact that one of the direct negotiators chose to divulge the name of the retailer and many details about the project on another website was her choice and so those of us aware of the project are feeling a little more free to talk about it.

There are people on this site and others who are not merely architectural fanboys. Many are directly involved in projects around the Twin Cities and elsewhere in the nation. If all some people want is "official, confirmed public announcements" then I suggest they just monitor Google News and stop hanging around UrbanMSP.
I like unofficial, unconfirmed private tidbits....so please don't stop. Is there any unconfirmed rumors of a possibility of something exciting and groundbreaking for this block?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 26th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Yeah. Not sure what twincitizen calling you a liar is all about. Some people are just, frankly -- dicks.
Towns!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 26th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Not sure what twincitizen calling you a liar is all about.
??

Some people are *way* too sensitive.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » September 27th, 2014, 5:43 am

And some people don't know how not to crap on what other people enjoy, and then when they do, don't understand why the other people don't want to share anymore.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » September 27th, 2014, 6:26 am

I hate to contribute to this BS but I come to this site to learn about what's going on in the cities, not read this garbage.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 27th, 2014, 12:14 pm

And some people don't know how not to crap on what other people enjoy, and then when they do, don't understand why the other people don't want to share anymore.
twincitizen never called anyone a liar. It's a complete overreaction to characterize his response that way.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 27th, 2014, 1:20 pm

Imagine what Julie Snow could do with 50 stories..
I think a building that tall would be a struggle for a smaller firm, they definitely could use a leg up into the mid size range. Conceptually I think she would be a great partner for a large firm with experience designing large buildings. (having said that I have no idea what her/their capabilities are and I'd be the last one to limit them) Or even if she designed the podium levels in conjunction with someone else.
Agree. I'm also not sure her aesthetic would work well with a high rise on Nicollet Mall. I do really like her work on the new bus shelters for the mall renovation. But in general I think her firm's larger scale work is a tad cool and cerebral for this particular location. Nicollet Mall needs to have more buildings that feel warm and inviting from a pedestrian viewpoint.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 27th, 2014, 3:41 pm

twincitizen never called anyone a liar. It's a complete overreaction to characterize his response that way.
It's exactly what he said. Maybe you haven't mastered the nuance of passive-aggressive Minnesotan?
Towns!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 27th, 2014, 4:12 pm

You know Minnesota Nice with a side of passive aggressive!! This state has that in spades.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » September 27th, 2014, 4:39 pm

A rumor is not the same thing as a lie. I rumor is something that is unconfirmed, it can be true or false. A lie is always false. A Lord and Taylor in this development has not been confirmed. Twincitizen did not call Avian a liar. QED.
My flickr photos.