Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
DFPegg
Metrodome

Re: Rumors!

Postby DFPegg » June 17th, 2014, 9:39 am

Personally I like all the rumors from RetiredBanker and everything, and I think many others expressed the same. The idea that he stopped posting though because of some snark is just silly. People shouldn't be so sensitive. I mean you post if you want to, if you don't want to you don't post. The world is filled with critics. At some point you just have to get over it. For example, I did not think using the term "baller" was disrespectful, maybe that is just me, but if someone is going to take umbrage with such a minor thing what will they not take offense too. I mean come on. With all due respect

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » June 17th, 2014, 9:49 am

To be fair... you guys are pretty harsh. I'm saying that very loosely as many of you are nice. For the most part, whenever I put a comment out there I almost expect a rude remark back about how my comment isn't worthy of being posted, I should have gone and found the answer myself, or that I should have commented in a separate box because there were pictures on the comment I replied to. That's my perception of what is said to me at least and I claim it as nothing more than my own reality. This may be the internet, but why do people have to be rude just because they're sitting behind a computer screen? I would imagine most of you who do make these remarks are pretty "Minnesota Nice" in person. I'm guilty of it too.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 17th, 2014, 9:58 am

If you think this site is tough, then you don't even want to touch the UrbanMSP reddit subforum.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 17th, 2014, 10:27 am

Which brings out the worst more in people: Sitting behind a keyboard or sitting behind a steering wheel?

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 17th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Can we please get back to rumors.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 17th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Personally I like all the rumors from RetiredBanker and everything, and I think many others expressed the same. The idea that he stopped posting though because of some snark is just silly.
Why are we still debating why he stopped posting? It's been confirmed. He didn't like the attitudes. He came here hoping for enthusiasm and friendliness. That didn't happen. So he stopped.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

DFPegg
Metrodome

Postby DFPegg » June 17th, 2014, 2:30 pm

wow.

DFPegg
Metrodome

Postby DFPegg » June 17th, 2014, 8:05 pm

All I'm trying to say is that haters gonna hate. Forgetabout'em. Give me the 10,000 word post or the link to the site where people give you the right attitudes, enthusiasm and friendliness. Sit back and enjoy indeed.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 17th, 2014, 8:08 pm

If people can't deal with criticism and brashness, they probably shouldn't be on the internet. A thicker skin would go a long way.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » June 18th, 2014, 9:15 am

You can't be rude to people and just expect them to take it and continue to be happy to contribute. There's no reason that this forum couldn't be more welcoming. We collectively choose to let it be what it is. Instead of condemning rude/harshly snarky behavior, we blame the victim for not just sucking it up.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 18th, 2014, 9:33 am

If people can't deal with criticism and brashness, they probably shouldn't be on the internet. A thicker skin would go a long way.
Why do people keep confusing "can't deal with" with "chose not to continue contributing to" ..?

RB didn't go run and cry in his corner, complaining of the meanies on the internet torturing him. He just chose to stop socializing with us. That's all. Can we stop playing it up to be more than it is?

Will someone please tell me what's unclear and what we're still arguing about, and what we're hoping to achieve from this discussion/argument?

DFPegg
Metrodome

Postby DFPegg » June 18th, 2014, 9:49 am

I work downtown and take the bus in almost everyday. Today of all days I was sitting next to this fellow who was looking at emails. I believe he works in the industry. One of the emails appeared to concern a proposal on the TCF site that would top 60 stories.

Has anyone else seen anything about this?

As a good urbanist, I know to prefer extended density, urban form and good street frontage, but I just get something out of hearing about TALL buildings, especially since MPLS is so flat.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 18th, 2014, 10:03 am

RB didn't go run and cry in his corner, complaining of the meanies on the internet torturing him. He just chose to stop socializing with us. That's all.
Present evidence that this actually happened. Not a third party account from min-chi-cbus, but an actual statement from retiredbanker saying he would no longer post here.
Can we stop playing it up to be more than it is?
Are you sure you're not the one doing exactly that?

I'll firmly plant my foot in mouth if I'm wrong here. This whole thing just feels like a giant game of "telephone"...

Until then, what Didier said 3 months ago was spot on: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=6&t ... 240#p49117

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 18th, 2014, 10:21 am

RB didn't go run and cry in his corner, complaining of the meanies on the internet torturing him. He just chose to stop socializing with us. That's all.
Present evidence that this actually happened. Not a third party account from min-chi-cbus, but an actual statement from retiredbanker saying he would no longer post here.
Can we stop playing it up to be more than it is?
Are you sure you're not the one doing exactly that?

I'll firmly plant my foot in mouth if I'm wrong here. This whole thing just feels like a giant game of "telephone"...

Until then, what Didier said 3 months ago was spot on: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=6&t ... 240#p49117
My point may not be clear, my fault. I'm not defending RB, I don't know the guy nor why he left beyond what was posted already. I'm asking why we're debating this and what the point of it is? He left and he's gone. It's all over. That's what I'm trying to get at. Why is this thread still hijacked by a useless debate?

I thought that part was clear in the last sentence of my post...

I agree – it is a giant game of telephone. One that I probably should've stayed out of. I just don't get why it's still going, except it just seems to be a "lets continually bash on a guy who's not even here!"
Last edited by IllogicalJake on June 18th, 2014, 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » June 18th, 2014, 10:21 am

To quote RetiredBanker:
"June,
As I had discussed with you on the phone recently, I no longer have any intention to respond to inquiries concerning development in downtown Minneapolis for the urbanmsp message board...

...The vast majority of posters on urbanmsp were excellent, there are a few (5-8) who are the most vocal and simply have no understanding (nor patience) at all of what it entails to get a project from conceptual stage to completion, all the complexities and hurdles a developer needs to overcome to see what they envision become a reality...

...What I find rather humorous is that I recognize no less than 5 posters on urbanmsp have applied for positions at my corporate office, and likely many more at other entities that I own that they simply didn't know that I owned..."

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 18th, 2014, 12:20 pm

To quote RetiredBanker:
"June,
As I had discussed with you on the phone recently, I no longer have any intention to respond to inquiries concerning development in downtown Minneapolis for the urbanmsp message board...

...The vast majority of posters on urbanmsp were excellent, there are a few (5-8) who are the most vocal and simply have no understanding (nor patience) at all of what it entails to get a project from conceptual stage to completion, all the complexities and hurdles a developer needs to overcome to see what they envision become a reality...

...What I find rather humorous is that I recognize no less than 5 posters on urbanmsp have applied for positions at my corporate office, and likely many more at other entities that I own that they simply didn't know that I owned..."
BOX!!

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » June 18th, 2014, 4:31 pm

━━━━━┒I got offended
┓┏┓┏┓┃online
┛┗┛┗┛┃\○/
┓┏┓┏┓┃ /
┛┗┛┗┛┃ノ)
┓┏┓┏┓┃
┛┗┛┗┛┃
┓┏┓┏┓┃
┛┗┛┗┛┃
┓┏┓┏┓┃
┃┃┃┃┃┃
┻┻┻┻┻┻

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » June 18th, 2014, 5:19 pm

I work downtown and take the bus in almost everyday. Today of all days I was sitting next to this fellow who was looking at emails. I believe he works in the industry. One of the emails appeared to concern a proposal on the TCF site that would top 60 stories.

As a good urbanist, I know to prefer extended density, urban form and good street frontage, but I just get something out of hearing about TALL buildings, especially since MPLS is so flat.
Welllll aaaanyways, this is kinda fun, eh, you guys?

MS3

Postby MS3 » June 18th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Yes.. I've heard about it also, but have very minimal and unreliable info. That's why my post on this rumors thread recently was uninformative. Could top 900ft. I do however expect more info to start leaking out on this soon and perhaps someone with a lot more insight would share more.. I think this one will get the most posts when it does.

emcee squared
Metrodome

Postby emcee squared » June 18th, 2014, 6:58 pm

The more I walk by our Big 3, the more I think, 'eh, they're not that tall, another two hundred feet would be pretty cool.'

But, building out of necessity is still, deep-down, what I feel we should do. Realism is what has got the Twin Cities to this point, not mindless speculation.

However, if someone is willing to build a well-leased masterpiece, go ahead and climb.

Man, I'm all over the map with my feelings.