Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Avian
Union Depot

Re: Rumors!

Postby Avian » November 1st, 2014, 8:21 pm

This is a hoax.. right??
Not in the least. But it won't get built.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » November 1st, 2014, 9:28 pm

I think this thread fills its role perfectly.
Yup. Best to leave it unmoderated methinks
*Sigh* Methinks I'm close to following grant's example. :roll:

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 1st, 2014, 10:21 pm

What, giving up on the entire forum because you don't like how one (of several dozen active, and a couple thousand total) thread is going?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 2nd, 2014, 9:39 pm

The only non anonymous defender of these people is enrolled in high school.[img]frog_drinking_tea.jpg[/img]
That is completely uncalled for. I too think the pictures are in the "too bad, so sad" category, but this is just downright mean. Grant is a lot more informed and active than I ever was in high school, and kudos to him for that!

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » November 2nd, 2014, 10:54 pm

edit: nvm
Last edited by IllogicalJake on November 3rd, 2014, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » November 3rd, 2014, 2:20 am

I'd advise everyone to relax. The (presumably) Mid-East investors have little chance to make that somewhat bizarre hotel a reality. Someone leaked the images and no one is going to jail for it.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » November 3rd, 2014, 9:29 am

The only non anonymous defender of these people is enrolled in high school.[img]frog_drinking_tea.jpg[/img]
That is completely uncalled for. I too think the pictures are in the "too bad, so sad" category, but this is just downright mean. Grant is a lot more informed and active than I ever was in high school, and kudos to him for that!
Fuck anyone that gives Grant shit over age. And I'm not going to sugar-coat that or calm my language, either, it's not worth it. I wish everyone could give a shit about their community even half as much as he does. I see so many armchair activists here yet he's one of the few actually willing to get out and speak up.
Last edited by IllogicalJake on November 3rd, 2014, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » November 3rd, 2014, 9:37 am

I've been on this board for a few months and I'm really surprised at the amount of people that act like they've never been on the internet before. Get some thicker skin, people. The "easily offended" crowd is represented here very well. The shots thrown around I've seen are very tame. Just ignore it if you don't like it.

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » November 3rd, 2014, 9:43 am

Honestly the behavior of people here is kind of pathetic, and it keeps me from posting. People need to get posting bans occasionally, before this forum falls further.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » November 3rd, 2014, 9:53 am

I've been on this board for a few months and I'm really surprised at the amount of people that act like they've never been on the internet before. Get some thicker skin, people. The "easily offended" crowd is represented here very well. The shots thrown around I've seen are very tame. Just ignore it if you don't like it.
Anyone who disagrees is offended and thin skinned? Heh.

Many people here don't know how to be social, let alone debate, and instead use demeaning insults and attacks to show their superiority, and it drives away the people trying to have a real discussion and make real progress. It's not offense, it's just realizing there's better places for it and that this isn't a fight worth fighting anymore.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 3rd, 2014, 10:04 am

People are free to interpret statements how ever they please.

My intention was to say that Grant was the only one who both a. defended the honor of those who purport themselves to development professionals and b. was open about their identity. I just thought it was interesting that a young man like Grant was the only with courage to do so. I lament the loss of Grant and I too wish I would have taken an interest in these types of subjects much earlier in my life. These words may have no sway but, I am sorry Grant. My intent was not to use your positions to belittle you or people you have a friendly relationship with. I wanted to express my dismay with how some people feel UrbanMSP should forsake its autonomy for entities of an unknown quantity.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 3rd, 2014, 10:12 am

This place definitely attracts the internet-noobs. On all sides really. I think it’s the real-world implications of the subject matter. This shit matters. They say the internets are serious business -- and when it comes to streets.mn forum -- they’re right.
Towns!

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » November 3rd, 2014, 11:01 am

I'd advise everyone to relax.
Get some thicker skin, people. The "easily offended" crowd is represented here very well.
I wanted to express my dismay with how some people feel UrbanMSP should forsake its autonomy for entities of an unknown quantity.
I think this thread fills its role perfectly.
There's a few wise words pulled from this dumpster fire of a thread.

So, those who were so insulted that rumors on this site were lightly moderated by being confined to a rumor thread and clearly disclosed as unsubstantiated, are now insulted because this site isn't using heavy moderation to unleak a fantastical and improbable project that was leaked elsewhere on the internet?

Or can someone explain if there's really a grudge here that's less ridiculous? Is this just a proxy grudge for those who've otherwise had their feelings hurt on this site?

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » November 3rd, 2014, 11:14 am

So, those who were so insulted that rumors on this site were lightly moderated by being confined to a rumor thread and clearly disclosed as unsubstantiated, are now insulted because this site isn't using heavy moderation to unleak a fantastical and improbable project that was leaked elsewhere on the internet?
Who's insulted? Why is everything "offended" and "insulted?" How the hell is this now a "grudge"? I know you all love your drama but is nobody here mature enough to just say "I disagree" without embellishing every story all Real Housewives-like? :roll:

I'll take all of the names I've been called here and be proudly a thin-skinned, insulted, offended, gaytard liberal for having the stance of "Rumors are kind of neat to see and talk about, even if unlikely."

Besides, this thread hasn't been about rumors for a while now, has it? Mods are cool with an insult free-for-all it seems. :lol:
Last edited by IllogicalJake on November 3rd, 2014, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » November 3rd, 2014, 11:20 am

Fuck anyone that gives Grant shit over age. And I'm not going to sugar-coat that or calm my language, either, it's not worth it. I wish everyone could give a shit about their community even half as much as he does. I see so many armchair activists here yet he's one of the few actually willing to get out and speak up.
of·fend·ed
əˈfendid/
adjective
resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult.
If "offended" doesn't describe your above post Jake, I don't know what does.

TTT
Metrodome

Postby TTT » November 3rd, 2014, 11:33 am

I wish there was a rumor about a building.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » November 3rd, 2014, 11:51 am

of·fend·ed
əˈfendid/
adjective
resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult.
If "offended" doesn't describe your above post Jake, I don't know what does.
I'm just defending Grant and think the attitudes toward him have been unprofessional given what this board exists for. I guess that fits the definition, so I stand corrected. :D

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » November 3rd, 2014, 11:57 am

OK then.

Back on the topic of the convention center hotel tower, does anyone know more about the nuts and bolts of such a proposal? How far along in a project are they when images like this are produced? Are they purposefully made outrageous/striking just for the sake of making an impression?

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » November 3rd, 2014, 12:07 pm

OK then.

Back on the topic of the convention center hotel tower, does anyone know more about the nuts and bolts of such a proposal? How far along in a project are they when images like this are produced? Are they purposefully made outrageous/striking just for the sake of making an impression?
From what I've gathered -
It sounds like these images likely came about while trying to establish a design for an RFP. It's common to think outside the box then work your way back in to the realistically feasible - and it's been noted before that the crazy "holes" were to represent the arches and their reflections in the Stonearch bridge. It was probably one of several design ideas juggled around with this project. I'm guessing it was an idea that made it far enough to have a low-quality render to represent the design concept, but likely nothing more than that. Definitely never anywhere close to being public, let alone proposed as a real building.

If I'm off on any of those details, someone correct me. :)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 3rd, 2014, 3:49 pm

OK then.

From what I've gathered -
It sounds like these images likely came about while trying to establish a design for an RFP. It's common to think outside the box then work your way back in to the realistically feasible - and it's been noted before that the crazy "holes" were to represent the arches and their reflections in the Stonearch bridge. It was probably one of several design ideas juggled around with this project. I'm guessing it was an idea that made it far enough to have a low-quality render to represent the design concept, but likely nothing more than that. Definitely never anywhere close to being public, let alone proposed as a real building.

If I'm off on any of those details, someone correct me. :)
I believe it was the 3rd/central Ave bridge. I would have liked a much more refined smaller version of said tower, but it sounds like other national firms may be more likely. I'm sure there are plenty of developers who would like to get their hands on high profile projects wherever they can. The skyscraper industry has been pretty slow in the greater usa.