Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Opus Ritz Block Development

Postby Wedgeguy » September 28th, 2014, 7:32 am

Opus has had this land paid for along time. 30 years with a nearly full parking lot every day. IF it is not paid off then they are truly poor building managers! The only real thing that have had for expense is taxes and snow removal. I don't believe that they have done any real pavement improvement here except maybe a seal coat or 2.

I would hope that they have the knowledge to know that a first class group of buildings will sell for more than a second rate group. Especially if the investors are foreign, and these are the people who seem to have the money these days. They want trophy properties in their portfolio.

IF they do something along the layout of IDS they have a chance for a nice sized office tower and Hotel with space for lots of retail facing Nicollet.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » September 28th, 2014, 11:20 am

With all of this residential construction retailer have to take notice. Nordstrom is part of a huge tower going up in New York. A Lord an Taylor would be a great fit on the mall despite the departures of Saks and Nieman Marcus. Add a few more specialty retailers and downtown shopping could work its way back.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » September 28th, 2014, 11:23 am

Also Lord and Taylor does have a midwest presence with stores in Chicago and Detroit. Detroit (lol).

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 28th, 2014, 11:24 am

With all of this residential construction retailer have to take notice. Nordstrom is part of a huge tower going up in New York. A Lord an Taylor would be a great fit on the mall despite the departures of Saks and Nieman Marcus. Add a few more specialty retailers and downtown shopping could work its way back.
Lord and Taylor could be on the corner of Nicollet and 4th like Woolworth's was with the opening of the IDS when it opened. The office tower would front Marquette with the Hotel along 3rd and it's entrance would be on the corner of 3rd and Nicollet. Retail would front most of Hennepin that was not part of the ground floor of the hotel and L&T would be on the corner of 4th and Nicollet. Entrance to the office tower would be on 4th and Marquette.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 28th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Also Lord and Taylor does have a midwest presence with stores in Chicago and Detroit. Detroit (lol).
Have you been to Detroit? Lord and Taylor wouldn't be out of place.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 28th, 2014, 8:41 pm

North of 8 mile it would be

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 28th, 2014, 8:53 pm

There are three Lord and Taylor in the Detroit metro area (lol)

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 29th, 2014, 7:21 pm

There are three Lord and Taylor in the Detroit metro area (lol)
Oakland County just to the north of Detroit (after Eight Mile Drive) is one of the most affluent areas in the country. I can believe there are three Lord And Taylors there.

As far as Lord and Taylor on the Ritz Block, I'm not sure that would be the best location for that type of store. I think retail that ties in well with the demographics of the nearby North Loop and the upscale housing projects would be more appropriate. And I would like to see several stores here rather than one department store. A new department store would probably work better in a rehabbed City Center or Renaissance Square.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 30th, 2014, 8:24 am

Lord and Taylor is not anything special really...It is basically like what Marshall Fields or Dayton's were...maybe a little nicer than Macy's. Just a nice department store, nothing ultra fancy. They are an anchor at most of the main regional malls in Chicago. It isn't like a Barney's, Saks or Neiman's, or even Nordstrom...

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 30th, 2014, 9:00 am

we're going to have two 30 or so story res towers on this block. i don't pine for a traditional dept store downtown anymore.

our convention/tourist mall is ten miles to the south. other retail, boutique retail, service retail will continue to grow as downtown's resdential pop expands. i look forward to the new wahlgreens format on 7th & nicollet. a lord and taylor at the north end of nicollet mall? outdated concept.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 30th, 2014, 9:02 am

we're going to have two 30 or so story res towers on this block
We still have no idea if that is true or not

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » September 30th, 2014, 9:23 am

we're going to have two 30 or so story res towers on this block
We still have no idea if that is true or not
Well Opus states that's what they are doing, so I kind of have to believe them. Though I understand that THEY have the option to change THEIR minds and hopefully will.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 30th, 2014, 9:31 am

I'm not believing any of it until I actually see an official proposal. Like I said previously, it could go back up to 50-60 stories in a week and we wouldn't even know it. People who have information were actually surprised that the 2 30 story plans hit the press because that still wasn't settled on.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 30th, 2014, 10:01 am

we're going to have two 30 or so story res towers on this block. i don't pine for a traditional dept store downtown anymore.

our convention/tourist mall is ten miles to the south. other retail, boutique retail, service retail will continue to grow as downtown's resdential pop expands. i look forward to the new wahlgreens format on 7th & nicollet. a lord and taylor at the north end of nicollet mall? outdated concept.
We have an are getting how many high end hotel in the core. I would hope that the city and building owners would know that if they want their hotels filled then they need shopping option downtown as well. Other wish there is the new Blu out at MOA and another high end hotel in the works for MOA. If you are into to shop why stay downtown when the MOA has what you want. High end hotel without at least some decent opportunities to shop will be looked down upon. We finally will have the density and the demographics to make retail a better bet downtown than 30 years ago when we had the Conservatory, Ralph Lauren, and Crate and Barrel downtown. There are still chances for retail to work in the next 5 years. You just have to get the Mall rebuild completed and make the retail front the street with more doors and windows.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 30th, 2014, 10:13 am

I'm not believing any of it until I actually see an official proposal. Like I said previously, it could go back up to 50-60 stories in a week and we wouldn't even know it. People who have information were actually surprised that the 2 30 story plans hit the press because that still wasn't settled on.
what does that say about people in the know? it's all rumor until plans hit the city's desk and even then it might not be successful.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 30th, 2014, 10:14 am

I think that the way Minneapolis is growing a "mini Magnificent Mile" is becoming more and more feasible. I wonder if the best location for such retail is along Nicollet Mall, or perhaps a more "district-like" setting near the North Loop or in Downtown East. I suppose the most upscale shops in Chicago are in proximity to the wealthiest dense neighborhoods instead of Downtown, but then again, Minneapolis ain't Chicago.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » September 30th, 2014, 11:10 am

what does that say about people in the know? it's all rumor until plans hit the city's desk and even then it might not be successful.
I believe everyone who posts these rumors do so with the stipulation that things can change in the length of time it takes a proposal to become a reality.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 30th, 2014, 12:13 pm

All the city has to do is stipulate that there will be retail fronting all of Nicollet and not just one store front. Entrances to any tower facing Nicollet can be either on 3rd or 4th. Nicollet should be 100% retail. Unlike their poor attempt with The retail on 5th and Nicollet. Both retail on Nicollet are up behind planter boxes and steps at the Nic.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » September 30th, 2014, 12:40 pm

what does that say about people in the know?
That unfinalized proposals have a strong chance of changing or never seeing the light of day. Does that mean they're bad to discuss? If we limited ourselves to only finished products here, there's not a lot to talk about.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » September 30th, 2014, 1:30 pm

what does that say about people in the know?
That unfinalized proposals have a strong chance of changing or never seeing the light of day. Does that mean they're bad to discuss? If we limited ourselves to only finished products here, there's not a lot to talk about.
That's completely logical illogical.