Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby seanrichardryan » January 23rd, 2016, 11:18 pm

I'm not sure I've ever 'agreed' with Joe Soucheray... but yep.
http://www.twincities.com/breakingnews/ ... e=Facebook
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 7th, 2016, 9:46 am

Minnesotans are the second-fastest talkers in the country (after residents of Oregon), and are also the fifth-least verbose and fifth-least impatient (at least on the phone).

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ow/459393/

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 8th, 2016, 5:38 am

^^When I was in basic training, the 2 groups in my squad were from Wisconsin/Minnesota and Mississippi/Louisiana and I always thought it was a bit difficult to understand a southerner but one guy I recall kept asking me to repeat myself, eventually stating I talked too fast and he surmised that it was because he thought we did so because we were afraid out tongues would freeze. I found that pretty humorous.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » February 8th, 2016, 10:32 am

Minnesotans are the second-fastest talkers in the country (after residents of Oregon), and are also the fifth-least verbose and fifth-least impatient (at least on the phone).

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ow/459393/
I find that humorous because I have very little patience for slow and overly verbose talkers.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 8th, 2016, 12:06 pm

This thrilisty thing includes chs field as one of the best designed buildings in America rn.

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation ... ted-states

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » February 11th, 2016, 11:25 am

Andy Sturdevant compares the Minneapolis/St. Paul rivalry with that other Twin Cities, Springfield/Shelbyville (complete with a Duff/Fud-Surley/Summit sound-off).

The comments start off with a guy trying to figure out what the word "cromulent" means.

https://www.minnpost.com/stroll/2016/02 ... ille-jokes

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » February 25th, 2016, 10:51 pm

Reference to Minnesota inside (though it's conflated with "the midwest" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ).

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why ... in-the-us/

We "Silicon Prairie" now.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » March 26th, 2016, 10:05 pm

Minneapolis makes the front page on Reddit today: https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/ ... ?limit=500

Because of this pic by "Avian81" (and no relation to me!!):

One of the better questions from a Reddit user is "Is this from Ghostbusters?"

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 8th, 2016, 9:16 pm

Lake Minnetonka boathouse restaurants inspiration for Disney Shanghai theme restaurant.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-in ... 375087661/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 18th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Anyone else notice there is an explosion of "[Celebrity] moving to [suburb of Minnespolis]" fraud stories lately? Justin Beiber moving to Lake Minnetonka. Eminem moving to Eagan. Samuel L. Jackson moving to Lakeville.

Maybe the fraudsters aren't just targeting gullible Minneapolis suburbanites and other metropolitan areas are getting these fake phishing article too, but I'm only seeing Minnesota suburbs in these articles shared among people I follow.

smh

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 18th, 2016, 2:20 pm

The latest satirical one I saw this morning was Miley Cyrus moving to Minneapolis (city proper IIRC, no suburbs for Miley).

The Sisqo living in Maple Grove story was real though, as far as I can tell.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 18th, 2016, 2:24 pm

It's not just Minneapolis -- there are a fleet of these stories blanketing the country, driving traffic to the websites hosting the fake stories.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 22nd, 2016, 1:31 pm

What happened to the Minneapolis music scene?

http://www.urbanophile.com/2016/04/22/w ... sic-scene/

Aaron Renn seems genuinely interested. This may be a worthwhile discussion with the passing of Prince.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 22nd, 2016, 4:16 pm

Well, a lot of good Hip-hop/R&B is around now from Minnesota. Remember that Hamburger Helper April Fools mixtape? All produced by students at McNally Smith. Some Minnesota artists were in there too. We have Atmosphere, Lizzo, Dessa, POS and the rest of Doomtree, Prof, Allan Kingdom, Spooky Black (seriously check this kid out, he has an amazing voice).

Will we ever get someone as big as Prince again? Who knows. But the music scene is still VERY alive and pumping out good noise.
Nevertheless, it seems to me that Minneapolis was once a city that had enormous cultural influence at the national level that now no longer does.
:|

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 22nd, 2016, 4:22 pm

Prince is one in a generation if not one in a century. I'd be very surprised (thrilled, but surprised!) if we see someone else like that from this area in our lifetimes.

That said, there's a heap of talent here. Grant listed some of the better known ones. Brother Ali is another.

I think one of the comments on the article was right: the music business has changed a *ton* since the '80's. Record labels are starting to lose influence. Things are going to be much more fluid with streaming and independent releases. "Scenes" will not be totally geographic in nature.

Just because Mary Tyler Moore isn't on network TV any more doesn't mean Minneapolis isn't having cultural influence. Ditto the typical "music scene" and any one individual internationally-known band.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 22nd, 2016, 4:37 pm

And I was just listing off the best of Hip-hop from TC right now. Owl City played a big role in the restart of indie electronic music in the late 2000's with Fireflies.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 22nd, 2016, 5:24 pm

I think the music festival season around here is remarkable. Practically every week something or another is happening. Are other metros that prolific with music festivals?

What regions are there that are putting their unique imprint and influence on the global music industry today? Is anything uniquely Nashville or Austin being offered, or is it just that the global music industry settled there. I dunno.

To me it seems that the music industry's massive genre divisions and subgenre's, plus the change in music distribution via the Internet has made city sounds a thing of the past. Any particular influence one city has is more likely to be in a narrow genre. Again, I dunno.

Personally, I'd like to see a state effort, like the work done to attract filming, done to promote the local music industry and scene.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » April 22nd, 2016, 7:25 pm

I think local music is like craft brewing - it's exploding nationwide, and so every metro area believes themselves to be at the forefront because they all have a bunch they didn't have twenty years ago. Because it's local, they're not aware of the similar local scenes elsewhere, and they spent years inundated by nothing but big productions from New York and LA, so they assume it's a unique local pushback. Because some of them *do* reach some level of attention beyond the local area, they see local names pop up in the national news from time to time too.

Note that in both cases, some cities are better than others and Minneapolis is unquestionably one of the better cities in the US for both. Minneapolis also has a long tradition in both that bolsters the recent explosion of both and gives us a bit of credibility that some other places don't have. But social media especially allows people to get a local echo chamber with targeted content that looks so different from the national content we got as recently as the early 2000s, that we assume we're the exceptional center of craft brewing and local music.

Note also that this is a REALLY GOOD THING because it gives our local talent a lot of exposure they weren't getting fifteen years ago. It's actually really cool to go to a place like Detroit and find that they have a massive local craft brewing culture and a lot of great local music, that's all different from Minneapolis but of similar quality. The same is true of Seattle, Kansas City, Toronto, Boston, etc. It's less true (but still surprisingly true) of Salt Lake City, and substantially less true of St. Louis, but even there there's a bit of both.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 22nd, 2016, 7:36 pm

Great analogy. Never thought of it like that.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 23rd, 2016, 7:34 pm

Right on. I honestly can't think of any single city that really drove nationwide music since Seattle in the '90's. I don't think it's a coincidence that that was just before the rise of the internet.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk