Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
John
Capella Tower

Re: Convention Center Hotel - (330 South 12th Street)

Postby John » April 13th, 2013, 7:55 pm

I think it's the Old Lutheran Brotherhood Building. A beautiful example of 1950's "International Style".When it was built, It was considered quite "cutting edge". The green and glass curtain wall facade is gorgeous.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » April 13th, 2013, 9:26 pm

^Correct, John. It was a stunning building, with that glass facade hovering over the ashlar-patterned stone base. And they raised the bar with the curved glass corners and stainless mullions.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » April 14th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Also one of my favorites. While they were taking it down, I was giving family friends from the Netherlands a tour of downtown and we were standing on the HCGC corner of of 3rd and 7th. I was lamenting to them about its destruction and they quizzed me as to why- stating that international style is all over the Netherlands and not much loved. All I could say is that it was the only one we have. And they instantly understood.

...and now it is gone. I really liked the green glass, and those rounded corners- so beatiful. So sad. Lutheran Brotherhood feels like my Metropolitan Bld.

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » April 14th, 2013, 9:21 pm

I know I'm getting way off topic now, but that same week, I took a few pictures (sorry- don't know where they are) of the building during demolision, then walked over to the old Conservatory which was also being demolished at the same time for the new USBank Headquaters and took a photo of a bobcat dumping bricks out of a 2nd story hole in the Nicollet Ave facade. The rest of the old facade was intact yet. It looked like the building was puking its guts out- also sad. But not the same level of loss as the Lutheran Brotherhood Bld. OK- moving on.

To hopefully bring it back toward topic, I think the Mandarin hotel on the prior page doesn't look very good at all. Looks very placeless to me. Like it belongs in Dubai or a mid sized Chinese city. Just random ornamentation that really doesn't serve any purpose except someone felt that it should have some- like it was stuck on as a last minute sales pitch.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 15th, 2013, 8:30 am

To hopefully bring it back toward topic, I think the Mandarin hotel on the prior page doesn't look very good at all. Looks very placeless to me. Like it belongs in Dubai or a mid sized Chinese city. Just random ornamentation that really doesn't serve any purpose except someone felt that it should have some- like it was stuck on as a last minute sales pitch.
The purpose of showing the cancelled Mandarin Hotel project in Atlanta was not to exactly replicate it for our new convention hotel, but to it point out it can be designed to be bold and kinetic on the skyline and also at its base. I agree the hotel should have a sense of place that says "Minneapolis", and I hope it takes some cues from the nearby Central Lutheran Church. Certainly that can be done if they use a good architect

MS3

Postby MS3 » April 15th, 2013, 1:49 pm

I personally like the look of that Mandarin hotel, and especially the color. I'm hopeful that whatever hotel does get built at this location, it will have a lot of elegance since it will have such an impact on the view from the south.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 15th, 2013, 3:36 pm

The base roof line of the Mandarin certainly has a water quality to it, if not a snowy hillside. Understanding the site wouldn't exactly qualify for something as this.

MS3

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby MS3 » April 15th, 2013, 11:35 pm

The westin peach tree hotel in Atlanta is a little over 1000 rooms at 725 feet. How do you think that would look here?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 16th, 2013, 7:37 am

THAT would be nice! I didn't realize it was that "small" (# of rooms)! But it's very skinny.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » April 16th, 2013, 11:42 am

This convention center hotel seems like a pipe dream at this point because so much is unknown and even if it were built it would be sooo long from now - can anyone tell me I'm wrong in thinking this way?

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » April 16th, 2013, 11:59 am

This convention center hotel seems like a pipe dream at this point because so much is unknown and even if it were built it would be sooo long from now - can anyone tell me I'm wrong in thinking this way?
It's not a pipe dream. Is this just your attitude or do you know something? I can tell you that this is further along then most of the NN's would even guess at. It seems like 80% of the posters are here just to snark, and throw water on stuff. I don't necessarly mean you, kregger, but the skepticism and downright negativity is astonishing.

Edit: Yet those same 80% like the crap infil we've seen the past four years. Shaking my head. :?

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » April 16th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Well, Hennepin county and MPLS officials better get a move on this 1,000-room hotel because developers are now seeking approval for a 302-room hotel and a 347-room luxury hotel (hotel: 10 stories; retail: 3 stories) -- both in Bloomington. Isn't the recently opened Radisson Blu 500 rooms? I find it hard to believe our market needs all these new hotel rooms.
Last edited by Unity77 on April 16th, 2013, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MS3

Postby MS3 » April 16th, 2013, 12:43 pm

From a somewhat reliable source I've heard so far the investigation has mostly been positives. Downtown Minneapolis is behind in the hotel room count compared to the other downtowns its size. And with the arrival of a new Vikings stadium downtown, and increasingly # of people wanting to live downtown, and L.rail, in addition to competing for conventions, it's demand has never been higher. I expect a 550-700' 1000 room hotel here sometime in 2016.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » April 16th, 2013, 1:06 pm

I expect a 550-700' 1000 room hotel here sometime in 2016.
Obviously I would welcome a new tower. Are you thinking construction would begin in 2016 or would it be completed in 2016?

MS3

Postby MS3 » April 16th, 2013, 1:43 pm

To begin by 2016- But possibly much sooner. If I'm not mistaken, Human Service functions is at that site now and will be vacating it next year.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 16th, 2013, 5:49 pm

It's not a pipe dream. Is this just your attitude or do you know something? I can tell you that this is further along then most of the NN's would even guess at. It seems like 80% of the posters are here just to snark, and throw water on stuff. I don't necessarly mean you, kregger, but the skepticism and downright negativity is astonishing.

Edit: Yet those same 80% like the crap infil we've seen the past four years. Shaking my head. :?
That should tell you that those 80% like when things get built, and hate it when they don't get built...

srengtech
Block E

Postby srengtech » May 18th, 2013, 11:57 am

My fantasy would be to dismantle the Bank of America tower in Charlotte and rebuild it somewhere near the convention center.

Original photo by Tomek MTS on google earth.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 18th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Horrible.

MS3

Postby MS3 » May 18th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Awesome. I love that tower- I think it has the greatest crown I've ever seen. It would so look so good here. Anyone who thinks differently or see's it as "horrible" obviously has no taste.

srengtech
Block E

Postby srengtech » May 18th, 2013, 8:55 pm

I think anything new to the skyline of that scale would take some getting used to. I just think it would be a nice focal point coming up 35W before the final approach into downtown. Any substitutions to the above would be fun to compare.