Grocery Stores

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Grocery Stores

Postby Nick » May 10th, 2014, 12:25 pm

I was mostly talking about Target/Wal-Mart, though I'm sure (hope) Target doesn't actually start people at minimum wage; all of my arguments/thoughts are strawmen/red herrings.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 10th, 2014, 12:37 pm

I was mostly talking about Target/Wal-Mart, though I'm sure (hope) Target doesn't actually start people at minimum wage; all of my arguments/thoughts are strawmen/red herrings.
I've worked on and off at Target since high school (essentially during school and when I've been between project contracts). They generally start people slightly above minimum wage, though it varies by market and position. A person on the floor makes about $8/hr to start here in Minneapolis. Specialty positions typically earn a dollar more (essentially add a dollar to whatever the current wage you have is when you get promoted). That's obviously not great pay, although low-level team leaders can earn a decent amount. They really shine through more with decent discounts for employees and more flexibility than most retail gigs. But yeah, the pay could be much better.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » May 11th, 2014, 9:26 pm

I was union at Byerly's and made barely over minimum wage throughout the first couple years (2007-2010). I left making $10/hr 5 years later, but that's only because I worked as a "prime-time part-time" cashier later on (20 hours a week/max at busy periods), which meant I was ineligible for benefits. I heard that Byerly's used to good to work for in the past from various workers (as they used to give baggers $1.00/hr raises when they were promoted to cashiers). I quit in 2012, so I dunno if anything has changed since. The discounts were dismal, though I think they finally started at least offering 10% off if you spend over $25.

If you could transfer to another department other than the front end, or become a supervisor or full-time (which is uncommon), then the pay was better.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 13th, 2014, 7:33 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » May 14th, 2014, 12:23 pm

The Wedge does suck. Mississippi Market in St Paul charges less than The Wedge for the same or similar products. Plus the snobbish bs from customers and staff is kept at a minimum.
I'm a member of the Wedge, but rarely go there any more, unless I need some bulk lentils/beans/oatmeal, etc. I get a very weird vibe from staff and customers when I bring my kiddo in there for some shopping (and this is during off weekday hours too). I now frequent Kowalski's more. The staff is friendlier and they have better customer service.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 1st, 2014, 10:07 pm

I'm sure nobody cares, but on the other hand we all love to hear the slightest of news and rumors, so anyway I saw signs at the Lake St Midtown Rainbow about Jerry's hiring new employees. I don't know why they would need to staff up a fully staffed grocery store, but anyway it sounds like Jerry's owns the Lake St Rainbow.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 1st, 2014, 10:09 pm

Uptown closes on Sunday for remodeling, sooo, don't expect a new three story with Cub housing above.
Last edited by seanrichardryan on July 2nd, 2014, 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 2nd, 2014, 6:05 am

...a fully staffed grocery store...
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's a good one.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » July 2nd, 2014, 7:20 am

Uptown closes on Sunday for remodeling, sooo, don't expect a new three story with Cub housing above.
Ugh, I knew this was what was going to happen, but this pretty much means we're stuck with that parking lot for... god knows how long! I wonder if the Arby's and Plant Parenthood get redeveloped that lot wouldn't look SO bad?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 2nd, 2014, 8:14 am

In a previous article it was stated that most Rainbow stores would close for a day or two to rebrand as Cub. They're not doing a big expensive remodel here. The impact of this rebranding effort on future redevelopment of this location is approximately zero. Heck, the fact that the store changed hands to local ownership rather than Roundy's probably improved redevelopment prospects rather than hampered them. Keep your chin up ;)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 22nd, 2014, 8:37 am

The remaining Roundy's-owned Rainbows close today.

The only beltway-ish location closing is the Bloomington Southtown location at Penn/American Blvd, next to Target. The rest are more squarely suburban, usually in the same commercial district as other grocery store(s). Bloomington is interesting because it's ringed by other grocery stores, but nothing else immediately adjacent unless you count the small selection at the non-super Target. This also seems like more of a prime location than the Cub on Lyndale and 84th, although that location was rebuilt a few years ago. My guess is that this is an older location and the lease situation is driving the closure.

On the staying-open front, we've discussed the Uptown Rainbow which is now a Cub.

Richfield's Hub location is remaining a Rainbow, likely due to the Cub a few blocks north at 60th and Nicollet.

The Quarry and Larpenteur locations are now Cubs, and will probably continue to see good business.

On East Lake, the Rainbow at Hiawatha is remaining open because there's a Cub right across the street.

The clearest potential for consolidation (hopefully sparking redevelopment) are at the Hi-Lake and the Midway Rainbows - both are immediately adjacent to a Cub Foods, and I have no idea why they're keeping these open. Possibly due to lease terms, or an idea that a competitor would snap up the locations? We'll see.

I'd love to see the Target/Cub parcel get redeveloped into a new urban SuperTarget with underground parking, ringed by dense TOD. It seems like the neighborhood shuns their own Target - people who live a mile from the Hi-Lake Target seem to go to the Richfield or Midway outlets instead.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » July 23rd, 2014, 12:09 am

I think if Cub wants to compete with other grocers in urban neighborhoods, they should follow the Target route and use smaller stores especially in places like Uptown. Supervalu probably could make good money selling off that lot with the potential of a Cub being an anchor retail store in whatever that would be built there (I wouldn't be surprised if this has been said already - if so my apologies about beating a dead horse).

Plus the current location in Uptown is just going to look more out of place as the years go by (same with Midway), so hopefully Supervalu realizes this and the potential investments to be made.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 23rd, 2014, 10:16 am

The Uptown Cub is now in the middle of a month long rearrangement of that store. I'm say they are about a 3rd of the way done so far. I have not been happy with the Cub so far. Will see how things turn out on they get their reset done. I find too much missing at this point when I go into shop. I also look forward to HyVee entering the TC market. Right now I find Cub's ads dismal and nothing I really want to by on sale. Prices are closer to Lund's than a good volume grocery store. WIll see how the shake out with out Rainbow affect the market share here and shopping habits.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 23rd, 2014, 10:44 am

Only been to the Uptown Cub once, but typically Cub's prices were lower than Rainbow's. And certainly significantly lower than Lund's. Random anecdote that carries no weight here but I once found the exact same package of soba noodles on the same day at Lund's for $9.50 and at Cub for $2.15.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 23rd, 2014, 10:48 am

So far I'm digging the Lakewinds Co-op in Richfield. Having a brand new super clean and organized building doesn't hurt. I was a bit disappointed by the salad bar's weak selection of toppings and crunchies and stuff. I'll probably take lunch there a couple times a month, given the lack of non- fast food options in the area.

Regarding Uptown Cub, I'm just glad they have a functional produce department.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 23rd, 2014, 10:51 am

Regarding Uptown Cub, I'm just glad they have a functional produce department.
QFT

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 23rd, 2014, 11:01 am

The new Richfield co-op is great. And I'm thrilled for the new Seward location. From what I've heard at co-ops, especially Linden Hills considering an expansion or second location relatively recently after they moved to a bigger store, this seems to be a major growth area in our urban market. I can imagine there's opportunity for another co-op south of the Wedge, maybe between Lake and 36th somewhere. And another in the Longfellow/Nokomis East area.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » July 23rd, 2014, 11:15 am

It’s not just an urban thing. There are co-ops in Anoka, Richfield, Burnsville, Chanhassen, Minnetonka, Long Lake, Stillwater... Our hugely popular Minnetonka Lakewinds started way back 1972.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 23rd, 2014, 11:50 am

and that's more like a Minnesota thing.

Food For Change: The Twin Cities Story: http://youtu.be/y1DsovYmunw

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 23rd, 2014, 1:59 pm

we're getting one in Eden Prairie in about a month I think, haven't driven by it in a while.