Grocery Stores

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
blobs
Nicollet Mall

Re: Grocery Stores

Postby blobs » November 15th, 2014, 9:59 pm

If Cub had a better deli I would shop there, instead I will shop at Kowalski's, Lakewinds or Lund's. Not impressed with the Target deli but their shelf items generally are not expensive. Does Hyvee have good deli items?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » November 17th, 2014, 10:02 am

Actually, something I'm curious about. What did they do with all the inventory when they switched over? Did Roundy's keep the Roundy's products and ship them to another DC? Did Cub just donate all the Roundy's products to a food bank or something and keep the name brand products around?
At the Uptown Rainbow, they stopped stocking the Roundy's products, and put them on steep discount (before everything else went to discount), so they were mostly gone.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 17th, 2014, 7:21 pm

I miss the Roundy's products. Much better than 'Essential everyday'.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 17th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Kirkland, 365, or bust.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 17th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Every time I come across a Roundy's product in my cooking I feel the need to pour out an ounce for my fallen homie.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 12th, 2015, 11:15 pm

Cedar Summit Farms is (temporarily?) ceasing production later this week. Curious if it's because of the CapX2020 power lines. Whatever it is, sad news! That's my favorite milk! Hoping it returns soon.

Edit: Link with more context http://www.startribune.com/local/south/288340901.html

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 13th, 2015, 12:02 am

Hey, if you can find a way to retire on the ratepayer's dime, why not?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 13th, 2015, 8:22 am

They are paying FMV just as any buyer would. They were working on CapX when I was there ten (!!!) Years ago and it was a mess back then. In the meantime we will be deprived of 100% grass fed, cream top milk. Which is heartbreaking.
Last edited by mattaudio on January 13th, 2015, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 13th, 2015, 8:32 am

In regards to Hy-Vee's expansion currently has stores planned for New Hope, Oakdale, and Lakeville with a possible store in Shakopee pending a deal with a local tenant vacating existing space. The Maple grove location dropped.

While Cub plans to build a new store in White Bear Lake (on old Kmart site)
Plus we seen 2 more Rainbow foods locations close bringing the total down to 4 stores. Seems kinda odd to continue an expensive marketing such as newspaper inserts and coupons for now only 4 stores. I did notice that Rainbow now sells Essential Everyday products which are supplied via SuperValu.

I think the coming grocery wars in the twin cities market are going to get pretty interesting!
Here's the article about the new Cub Foods to go in at the old Kmart location at 694 & White Bear: http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... lake-kmart

Curious about them keeping the "southern half" of the building (I'm assuming that means the old Big Lots space that was attached to Kmart?) as opposed to them knocking down the entire thing.

I suspect I am still going to regularly visit the Festival Foods & Rainbow Foods Cub owns in the area though.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » January 13th, 2015, 8:35 am

They are paying FMV just as any buyer would. Don't believe Xcel's spin. They were working on CapX when I was there ten (!!!) Years ago and it was a mess back then. In the meantime we will be deprived of 100% grass fed, cream top milk. Which is heartbreaking.
I've been happy with Autumnwood. Which is a bit cheaper, to boot. Shame about Cedar Summit though.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 13th, 2015, 9:12 am

I don't personally purchase it, but Cedar Summits' milk is very good. It is a shame they bought into the woo and are closing down when there's no reason to. Or, alternatively, its a shame that enough their customer base buys into the woo and will stop purchasing their milk that they have to close down. I don't know which of those is the case.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 13th, 2015, 9:21 am

Strange, I had never heard of them.... they must have traditionally covered the north metro, while Cedar Summit covered the south metro. Though they say Autumnwood is at Mpls Kowalskis, but I've never seen it at the Chicago Ave location.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 13th, 2015, 9:25 am

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 13th, 2015, 9:32 am

Re: K-dubs

I can't be the only one who questions the future viability of the Chicago Ave Kowalski's. It's super tiny, and still never feels busy. Honestly, they should just have a sign at the Lyndale location advertising that they have a 2nd location on Chicago. The Lyndale store (and parking lot) are always pretty packed, while the Chicago store never is. Sure, it's a little smaller than the Lyndale or Uptown locations, but it still probably offers 80% of the products. I'd think that still meets the needs of enough shoppers to keep it open, especially as incomes will likely rise in the surrounding area (as folks are priced out of SW neighborhoods, etc.)

56th & Chicago could be a cool little corner and compliment the other nodes in the area. On the NW/NE corners, you've already got some residential density. On the SE corner you've got a nice strip of commercial space that could turnover to some more useful businesses. The way the corner building is slightly set back provides perfect opportunity for patio dining, additional trees, improving the bus stop, etc. I fail to see the point of the bus turnaround/layover though. It wouldn't be the end of the world if buses circled the block and simply laid over on-street next to the park instead. You've got a concrete pad there perfect for a tiny commercial building or pop-up space to support park events, etc.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » January 13th, 2015, 9:34 am

A three pack of Silk almond milk runs $8.00 at Costco and lasts for a couple months unopened in the fridge.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 13th, 2015, 9:40 am

A three pack of Silk almond milk runs $8.00 at Costco and lasts for a couple months unopened in the fridge.
A six pack of Miller High Life costs $5.99 at Chicago Lake Liquors and will last for a couple of years unopened in the fridge.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 13th, 2015, 9:42 am

I can't be the only one who questions the future viability of the Chicago Ave Kowalski's.
It seems quite busy during the after work rush or on prime weekend hours. I've heard they do fine, and allegedly they have some sort of purchase option for Bergan's on Cedar if they are ever to close. Kowalski's is great to have in the neighborhood, a short bike ride away. But if there's anything that is a challenge to Chicago Kowalski's, it's probably the new Richfield co-op and the upcoming Seward Friendship co-op. It's just no comparison for the quality and selection compared to Kowalski's... most of our shopping has switched to the new Lakewinds.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 13th, 2015, 9:51 am

In related news, I discovered this weekend that Trader Joe's is actually a pretty crappy grocery store, but I did get some great tasting marinara sauce. TJ's is tops on snacky items (dips, hummus, trail mix, etc.) but is otherwise pretty terrible as a grocery store. I mean, a single person or someone who eats out a lot could definitely get along fine with TJ's as their only store 90% of the time, but I'd guess for most family shoppers it is supplemental to a standard grocery store like Cub or SuperTarget. If you live near a "premium" store like Byerly's or Kowalski's, which also carry the good snacks and kitschy stuff (albeit higher priced), TJ's becomes pretty useless.

*Embarassingly, my GF and I went to TJ's, Target, and Byerly's on Sunday afternoon. For the bonus point, which city/cities were we in?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 13th, 2015, 10:01 am

^I know some people who hold a similar view about Trade Joe's being supplementary or snacky and others who swear by it as their go-to place for groceries. I'm polling from a pretty tight age limit though (people probably ranging in ages of about 22-29). They all certainly eat out more than the typical family, but plenty of them are cooking at home five days a week. So apparently TJs is a mixed bag.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 13th, 2015, 10:03 am

You were definitely in St. Louis Park.