Grocery Stores

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Re: Grocery Stores

Postby FranklinAveFixation » February 7th, 2017, 11:35 pm

Long history of family disputes there, http://www.upi.com/Archives/1992/11/01/ ... 720594000/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 8th, 2017, 3:18 pm

I used to work at Lunds, right when they merged with Byerlys. I always figured there's probably something off with a guy who likes to be called tres, cause he's the 3rd Lund.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 8th, 2017, 3:32 pm

I don't know the timing of when he started going by "Tres", but it could have something to do with not wanting to share his father's name after this happened...
[Tres] took over as head of the company in 1991. A year later, Tres’ grandfather died. So did his father, Russell Lund Jr., who died by suicide in a hospital psych ward after allegedly killing his estranged wife Barbara and her boyfriend.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 8th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Okay, yikes... Had no idea about that history.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 8th, 2017, 5:41 pm

You're no longer a III when Sr. & Jr. are dead. It's simply a differentiation between persons, not a title like the pope.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 8th, 2017, 7:05 pm

You're kidding right? You don't "move up" when they die. Most the time it's part of their legal name.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 8th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Nope, you're supposed to move up. It shouldn't be part of the 'legal name' per se, but can be changed easily. Also, Sr. Jr. III is only used if the persons share a middle name, otherwise it doesn't even apply. No one is a Junior for life.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 8th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Emily Post disagreed:
Q. I have a question about the etiquette of generational titles. If there is a junior and the senior dies, does the junior still use this title? What if there are several generational titles?

A. A man with the same name as his father uses "Jr." after his name as long as his father is alive. He may drop the "Jr." after his father's death, or if her prefers, he may retain it in order not to be confused with his late father. When a man is named after his father, who is a "Jr.", he is called 3rd or III. A man named after his grandfather, uncle or cousin is called 2nd or II. We hope this addresses your question!

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » February 9th, 2017, 11:53 am

That could be quite confusing if people moved up.

"Gary Johnson Sr. ran the local grocery store in town until he passed away last year. It stayed in the family though, and now Gary Johnson Jr. runs it."

I feel the majority of people would assume you were saying that his son ran the grocery store. But if everyone moved up after Senior's death, you would actually be talking about his grandson, who used to be III and is now Jr.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 9th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Plus, we'd only have one King Henry, Charles or James.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » February 9th, 2017, 2:34 pm

But people aren't born with Sr. as part of their legal name, right? So, when and how does one add Sr. to their name? Is this a legal process that you go thru or is it informal?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » February 9th, 2017, 3:08 pm

Plus, we'd only have one King Henry, Charles or James.
Well there were only two James and two Henrys anyway. And they all have different names. The Georges, for example, were George Louis, George Augustus, George William Frederick, George Augustus Frederick, George Frederick Ernest Albert, and Albert Frederick Arthur George. Not that you were particularly serious about that anyway.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » February 9th, 2017, 3:44 pm

High V is building in White Bear Lake.

And contrary to their position with the Terrace where they claimed they will build the exact same store of the exact same size everywhere in the Twin Cities, it appears that they DO in fact scale down the size of their stores, after all. This store will be 59,000 sq. ft. instead of their typical size of 92,000+ sq. ft. Lying scumbags.

http://www.presspubs.com/white_bear/new ... c5f18.html

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 9th, 2017, 4:07 pm

This thread is on it's way to cast-iron skillet territory!

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 9th, 2017, 5:36 pm

And the WBL Hy-Vee will have only the 2nd ever Hy-Vee Fitness. That seems odd. I'll be interested to see if they keep this pace of opening new stores. I fee like there is a new one announced every month.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 10th, 2017, 10:09 am

Well there were only two James and two Henrys anyway.
Not that I was being particularly serious anyway, but how did we get Henry VIII if there were only two of them? Also, how did you know I wasn't refering to the James of Scotland, of which there were seven?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 10th, 2017, 10:19 am

And contrary to their position with the Terrace where they claimed they will build the exact same store of the exact same size everywhere in the Twin Cities, it appears that they DO in fact scale down the size of their stores, after all. This store will be 59,000 sq. ft. instead of their typical size of 92,000+ sq. ft. Lying scumbags.
They just opened a new store in Des Moines that's about 35ksf, so we already knew the "never downsize" claim was a lie.

That being said, my interpretation of the article is that the 59ksf is just the ground floor, not including the 11ksf mezzanine. So it's really a 70ksf store. For what that's worth.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » February 10th, 2017, 10:24 am

Well there were only two James and two Henrys anyway.
Not that I was being particularly serious anyway, but how did we get Henry VIII if there were only two of them? Also, how did you know I wasn't refering to the James of Scotland, of which there were seven?
I mistyped, I meant Charles and James were the ones with only two. There were lots of Henrys. And you make a good point re: Scotland.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 10th, 2017, 10:41 am

I mistyped, I meant Charles and James were the ones with only two. There were lots of Henrys. And you make a good point re: Scotland.
Ah, but there were ten Kings Charles of France ;)

(sorry, will stop now)

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » February 10th, 2017, 1:29 pm

We wouldn't want a Willy or a Sam.