Sports: Pro & Con

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
acs
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Farmers Market Soccer Stadium

Postby acs » August 5th, 2014, 2:21 pm

^This. In a world with infinite money, or in a world where people pay their own way, it is true that the Metrodome was an awful place for a baseball game or a college football game. But from a value perspective, it was a heck of a deal. The Metrodome was great. Why? Because it was a sunk cost!
It was also collapsing.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 5th, 2014, 2:23 pm

One deflated roof does not a collapsing stadium make. I don't think I ever heard "it's falling apart" as justification for replacement.

Rich
Rice Park

Sports: Pro & Con

Postby Rich » August 5th, 2014, 2:50 pm

But from a value perspective, it was a heck of a deal. The Metrodome was great. Why? Because it was a sunk cost!
I completely agree that the Metrodome was a bargain and it functioned well enough. In an ideal world we keep it and everyone is happy. But what are we to do when none of the tenants want it anymore? We can’t make ‘em love it if they don’t.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 5th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Nothing prevented the Twins or the Vikings from building their own stadiums, it was their choice to ask for public money, and we decided to give it to them. But it would have been a pretty great bargaining chip.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 5th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Nothing prevented the Twins or the Vikings from building their own stadiums, it was their choice to ask for public money, and we decided to give it to them. But it would have been a pretty great bargaining chip.

While I agree with you in theory, the fact that this market lost a hockey team made the idea of using that bargaining chip with either the Twins or Vikings very unpalatable. Had the North Stars not left, I think calling their bluff would have been more desirable.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 5th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Is it really a civic emergency if we lose a pro sports team? Sad? Sure. Civic emergency? Not even close.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » August 5th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Keep in mind that the NFL has used the threat of team relocation before to get public funding for a new series of stadiums. If MN had called their bluff we could be watching the Los Angeles Vikings.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 5th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Lol that you actually believe that.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 5th, 2014, 3:11 pm

Is it really a civic emergency if we lose a pro sports team? Sad? Sure. Civic emergency? Not even close.
I don't recall anyone saying it was a "civic emergency". But for a large portion of the business community, for a northern climate city, with no mountains or oceans to appeal to job recruits. Having lots of civic activities is a bonus. I think that community knew that losing a MLB or NFL franchise would diminish or tarnish the appeal of Minneapolis as a 'great place to move to'.

Again, that's just my theory, as I've never been to a Wild game... or a Vikings game or a Gophers game for that matter. But there is something to say about a metro (presumably in the 'middle of nowhere') that is able to support the sports teams we do - and support their desire for new showcase homes. I'm proud to show them off, along with our beautiful city/metro to all of my out of town guests. Especially the southeastern Wisconsin ones (where I grew up).

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 5th, 2014, 3:18 pm

It was really true. The NFL was pressuring Zygi and the rest of the team that if they didn't re-brand that they would most likely get forced to move to LA. Tone down the snark. This is about a MLS stadium so lets end all other stadium discussion and move on okay?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 5th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Yes yes, everyone was willing to say that the Vikings were willing to leave at the drop of a hat. But it being actually true is another matter.
http://blogs.mprnews.org/stadium-watch/ ... after-all/
Last edited by FISHMANPET on August 5th, 2014, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 5th, 2014, 3:21 pm

Can't we just go back to the old Vikings thread if we want to rehash this argument again?

For what it's worth, the Vikings and Gophers did look seriously at cohabitation at a new on campus stadium, but a quick look at the two new facilities that they're going to end up with will show you why they weren't able to come to a workable solution. They were not at all on the same page.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 5th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Target Field brings a lot of people downtown. I see more activity in the shops and streets surrounding it on game days than I ever do on off ones. I honestly think that was a pretty good investment.

But then, I like baseball.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » August 5th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Baseball works well there because they play so many games. Is the soccer schedule like football or baseball?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 5th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Matches are once a week or so, though about half of those are away games. Somewhere in-between football and baseball.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » August 5th, 2014, 5:52 pm

I don't recall anyone saying it was a "civic emergency". But for a large portion of the business community, for a northern climate city, with no mountains or oceans to appeal to job recruits. Having lots of civic activities is a bonus. I think that community knew that losing a MLB or NFL franchise would diminish or tarnish the appeal of Minneapolis as a 'great place to move to'.

Again, that's just my theory, as I've never been to a Wild game... or a Vikings game or a Gophers game for that matter. But there is something to say about a metro (presumably in the 'middle of nowhere') that is able to support the sports teams we do - and support their desire for new showcase homes. I'm proud to show them off, along with our beautiful city/metro to all of my out of town guests. Especially the southeastern Wisconsin ones (where I grew up).
When the team is crying poor while making a $30 million profit, I get a little less proud.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » August 5th, 2014, 6:46 pm

how many Big Ten, or even FBS, schools have a NFL stadium within a couple miles of their campus?
Northwestern (they sometimes play at Soldier Field for big games)
I hate to participate in this conversation, but Northwestern is a full 15 miles from Soldier Field, without a direct freeway connection. It's a 40 minute drive (without traffic) or 90 minutes by CTA.

The extreme proximity of the Gophers and Vikings really is unique.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 5th, 2014, 8:11 pm

It would be like USC playing at Farmer's Field once it is completed. Not sure if they will or not, but about the same proximity.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 6th, 2014, 3:47 pm

I feel the same way about my tax dollars paying for welfare.
The irony in that statement is that someone from rural parts of the 7 county Met Council jurisdiction area thinks the same about Metro Transit.

The reality is that your tax dollar contribution is pennies... while I may hate that the Wilfs are getting a lot of help from the City/State on this stadium; that's the way things go today.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby moda253 » August 6th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Funding at the state level doesn't work the same as mom and dad's checkbook. There is no saying that if we didn't do this we could have done that. That simply isn't the way it works. My barb about going hungry is a place holder for whatever the concern happens to be.. because it's always something. And when talking about the opportunity costs there isn't a good way to quantify the amount of having a good social fabric here that entices people to live here. Like it or not pro-sports is very much a part of that. It is the reason why every single time a pro-sports team leaves a city, state or region that area will fight tooth and nail to bring a team back. Now I don't believe for a minute that the team was on the verge of moving, but the metrodome was an absolute dump. Was it functional? I suppose you could say taht. The sightlines weren't bad for football, but the place was an absolute dump. Unfortunately you are going to pay to keep them.

Stadiums on their face at gate do not make money. But it isn't always just about making money at the gate.

And I'm a guy that also thinks the Wilfs are gettting a sweetheart deal.
Last edited by moda253 on August 7th, 2014, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.