City living trends and predictions

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Anondson
IDS Center

City living trends and predictions

Postby Anondson » October 26th, 2015, 5:42 pm

I tried finding a good thread for this mental ramble, and ended up thinking there might as well be a single thread for the topic of trend spotting and predicting.

A few days ago I spotted a new piece about Camden Property Trust, an apartment management company that manages something like 59,000 units of apartments around the country (none in Minnesota?). Camden just stopped accepting deliveries to their renters at the apartment offices.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/package-gat ... 1445333401

The growth in e-commerce has made deliveries so common that staff hours and space is now significantly taken up with accepting, documenting, storing, and verifying pickup of deliveries.

I wonder if the explosion in Internet shopping means we will see this become a norm in more and more apartments and condos?

Or will this be more of a concern in suburban areas where walking to stores isn't available? Or might we see something where luxury buildings staff a full time "mailroom" employee to manage internet orders being delivered?

Could this be a business opportunity in the right neighborhood where apartments decline package deliveries we see FedEx or UPS stores showing up where people go to pick up deliveries in their neighborhood and end up as common as coffee shops. Heck, maybe have a hybrid concept "coffee shop/delivery drop off".

It made me think of the post office outlets around Europe that show up in places Americans would least expect.

I haven't lived in an apartment for about 19 years and Internet shopping wasn't the retail havoc it has become. Is declining deliveries a trend in the Twin Cities?

PhilmerPhil

Re: City living trends and predictions

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 26th, 2015, 6:52 pm

Just a year and a half ago, living in Stevens Square, my property manager would accept packages, but it was always pretty stressful, because half the time, it seemed like the delivery drivers didn't know where to bring the packages, and I just remember having to jump through hoops enough times that I just started shipping packages to my parents house and picking them up whenever I'd visit.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 27th, 2015, 12:49 pm

University campuses with on campus residences for students are also being buried by Internet commerce deliveries. Student mail rooms are being buried by package delivery.

http://consumerist.com/2015/10/06/amazo ... -campuses/

It will be interesting to see how campus dorms and apartment/condo developments evolve to deal with this trend.

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » October 27th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Could this be a business opportunity in the right neighborhood where apartments decline package deliveries we see FedEx or UPS stores showing up where people go to pick up deliveries in their neighborhood and end up as common as coffee shops. Heck, maybe have a hybrid concept "coffee shop/delivery drop off".

It made me think of the post office outlets around Europe that show up in places Americans would least expect.
It looks to happening now. Our local UPS and Fedex(maybe only UPS) drop off and pick up point is Bone Adventure on Hennepin. In the past, I recall there being drop off points for pre paid packages, but not designated local pick up locations for UPS and Fedex. Our building isn't staffed, so when the driver could not get in, they left the package at the local shop, which is a lot better than driving to Roseville or wherever the local UPS base is. An ID is required to grab the package.

Our last building in the North Loop did leave your packages within your unit. Nice perk, but I suspect time consuming around the holidays.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » October 27th, 2015, 5:28 pm

I feel like they need to rethink the way they build mail rooms in new buildings to accommodate package lockers and a way for ups/FedEx to access them the way the USPS does.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » October 27th, 2015, 7:06 pm

This company is addressing the package delivery issue,

http://www.doorman.co/

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 29th, 2015, 8:14 am

It's been 10.5 years since I lived in an apartment, but even then, I remember the office having to spend a lot of time dealing with packages. During the holidays there would be stacks and stacks of boxes in the party room; they would just put everything in there and tell us to find our stuff.

I know some people deal with this by having things shipped to their workplace, but I've also read that many companies are cracking down on that as well.

Things like the Amazon Lockers are a good way of dealing with this issue, and I think we will see more of them and similar delivery/storage methods in the future.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » October 29th, 2015, 1:21 pm

if your stuff is shipped with UPS you can have them send it to a ups store (or other participating businesses, I think) and pick it up whenever is convenient. that service is actually free I believe

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 29th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Solutions like that Doorman seem to be kind of missing the point, they're just sidestepping the issue of "it's a pain to deal with packages" and paying someone else to do that for you. Having stuff dropped in some central automated place like an Amazon locker or your local store in theory makes the whole process cheaper, instead of a brown truck full of packages driving around the neighborhood, that brown truck can just stop at one local store/locker and drop everything there. I guess you pay yourself in the minor inconvenience of the extra time spent going to get your package, but things should be setup that wherever you get your package is "on your way" from whatever you usually do. In my case a package locker at my local LRT station would be convenient, because I'm already there everyday anyway, just grab it on my way home.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 29th, 2015, 2:54 pm

Something that has been discussed is having a central mail location that would serve, for example, all of the houses on a single Minneapolis block face. This would allow USPS to be more efficient in mail delivery, and it could have several lockers built in for packages.

Of course, this will just be a temporary solution until I get my Amazon Drone helipad installed on my roof.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 29th, 2015, 3:10 pm

Which neighbor would get the pleasure of having this in their yard? And who would cover the cost, sans formal resident associations in Mpls? http://www.americanbuildersoutlet.com/s ... maxpl.html

Also, most of those stations don't have enough room for packages either.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 29th, 2015, 3:19 pm

Before you dismiss it too quickly, consider that it's available in Dapper Tan.

Presumably, it would be located in the public ROW on the boulevard. And it doesn't take much imagination to see that it could be expanded slightly and have a lot more package space. Not sure who would pay for it.

Again, I'm not saying it's necessarily the perfect answer. But if it were between that and not getting mail delivery because the USPS can't afford to deliver it?
Last edited by MNdible on October 29th, 2015, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 29th, 2015, 3:21 pm

I know someone that lives in some suburban subdivision in Shoreview and her neighborhood has something like that instead of mailboxes in front of each house.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 29th, 2015, 3:24 pm

And who would cover the cost, sans formal resident associations in Mpls?
Having stuff dropped in some central automated place like an Amazon locker or your local store in theory makes the whole process cheaper
And I guess the related question is, why do you think some other retailer is going to want to rent a bunch of prime commercial real estate to store the packages that some other company is making the profit off of? I guess it's one thing if Amazon, for example, pays for the locker space to house its deliveries, but people do e-commerce with lots of companies besides Amazon, and they're not all going to have their own lockers.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 29th, 2015, 3:38 pm

I could see the package carriers themselves doing it themselves, because it could probably save them money. Or since this conversation started because of apartments no longer taking packages, could you put something there?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 6th, 2015, 8:44 pm

There was a product geared toward this issue on Shark Tank tonight, basically a set of lock boxes for mailing and receiving packages or dry cleaning or whatever, and no one bought into the concept. Kind of surprising.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 22nd, 2016, 6:35 pm

Instacart, a grocery delivery service, is firing all drivers in the Twin Cities market.
“Given the market’s size and geographic layout, we’ve found it difficult to efficiently provide enough opportunities for delivery drivers to receive orders,” Instacart said in an email to its Minneapolis drivers on Friday. “As our market has evolved, we’ve found that the delivery driver service is not the best fit for the Minneapolis market at this time.”
http://www.buzzfeed.com/williamalden/in ... #.hh2e1MDz
In other markets Instacart operates in orders are delivered by shoppers. Seems the Twin Cities geography is not optimal to keep drivers busy enough.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 23rd, 2016, 12:07 pm

Or it's easier to blame it on geography than a bad business plan.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 24th, 2016, 9:47 am

So I saw I still had the article open and so i actually read it.

Instacart is still operating in the market, splitting shoppers and drivers is an experiment they're working on, and it didn't work here.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 1st, 2016, 4:04 pm

Garages turning into "great rooms"

http://www.startribune.com/streetscapes ... 374273951/

I always love walking around my neighborhood seeing in to my neighbors' garages to see what they're using it for. Sometimes a workshop, an office studio, sometimes game room, often storage.

I can say I haven't yet seen a great room.