Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Minneapolis Cable Television

Postby David Greene » February 25th, 2015, 11:21 pm

And can I get CL IPTV over my USI Fiber? Probably not but there shouldn't be any technical reason preventing it, right?

I'm still looking for a relatively inexpensive way to watch the 1-2 shows I like that aren't on OTA. Plus I would really like to watch Twins and TWolves games again.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 26th, 2015, 11:48 am

It's still more than I'll pay for TV, but there's now Sling TV which is a Cable-Over-IP operator.

eazydp
Metrodome

Re: Minneapolis Fiber

Postby eazydp » March 10th, 2015, 10:01 pm

Field... so close to Hale!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 10th, 2015, 10:36 pm

CL was stringing fiber in our alley a couple weeks back.

I just had to shake my head and chuckle. People would be fools to get that service in the Wedge. Why did CL even bother?

mnjimn
Block E

Postby mnjimn » March 11th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Why did CL even bother?
Prism TV service I would guess.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 11th, 2015, 4:20 pm

Why did CL even bother?
Prism TV service I would guess.
So Prism is only available over their fiber? I suppose that makes sense to someone.

Just looked at the Prism offerings. I pay extra for HD?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 11th, 2015, 8:43 pm

Does that involve paying money to watch TV? Rather than getting it for free through a precise array of wire elements?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 16th, 2015, 11:14 am

Seeing as we're weeks ahead of normal -- snow is all gone and ground is nearly thawed -- any chance USI can start installing fiber sooner?

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » March 16th, 2015, 11:28 am

Ahh, Bancroft. How about a little further east to Standish! Guess I'll hope for 2016. ;)
See you in 2016 :)
:o :o :o I can't wait!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 16th, 2015, 5:57 pm

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/03/16 ... OGEN_VALUE_

No disrespect to CM Glidden, but she is just dead wrong on two counts with regards to this whole "They should have to serve the whole city" thing

1. CenturyLink making a new service available in Uptown today doesn't hurt anyone in North Minneapolis. They'll be the same off as they were yesterday...their services have not changed.

2. Let's just not make any "equity"-themed arguments around cable television service, which is a LUXURY, period. If there's any equity/economic lesson in any of this, it's that poor people should not f**king have cable (or satellite) television services. Good grief.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 16th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Having competition is precisely the sort of thing that could (at least theoretically) make cable television less of a luxury good.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 16th, 2015, 7:48 pm

Is $13 a month really a luxury?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » March 17th, 2015, 7:07 am

Not when people are paying $50 for cellphone service.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 17th, 2015, 7:51 am

C'mon dude. I obviously meant CABLE cable, Not just the basic channels via cable service (instead of free antenna). I'm talking about actual cable services that are $40+/month.

Anecdote: When I last paid for it (in order to get the bundle discount on internet), Comcast's charge for just the basic channels in Minneapolis was into the upper teens. It actually cost more than the $10 discount I was getting on internet so I dropped it. Back in St. Paul not that many years ago, I was paying like $7 for the basics I think, so it was worth it for the bundle discount on internet.

More on this issue from MinnPost: http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy ... le-competi

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 17th, 2015, 10:56 am

2. Let's just not make any "equity"-themed arguments around cable television service, which is a LUXURY, period. If there's any equity/economic lesson in any of this, it's that poor people should not f**king have cable (or satellite) television services. Good grief.
Equity is about more than economic position.

This is as much a geographical issue as it is an economic one.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Minneapolis Fiber Internet and Cable Services

Postby mattaudio » March 17th, 2015, 11:53 am

In 2015, it seems ridiculous that we're hung up on how people receive proprietary pay TV services over an internet pipe. So, we regulate proprietary live-video-over-IP technology for CenturyLink but we don't regulate the same technology if provided by a third party?

It would make much more sense to focus on things that actually matter for equity. Ensuring fast internet is available at reasonable speeds by multiple providers at every residence in the city. Ensuring that Internet providers with franchises are not interfering with third party service providers that may compete with their proprietary services. Ensuring that city government, local institutions, and the public have the tools and resources available to leverage modern internet-based media for public interest and affinity purposes (similar to how in the 70s/80s, CATV franchise fees partially funded public access studios and channels).

The only reasonable thing I'd advocate here is a requirement that franchisees charge uniform rates across the city, regardless of competitors' options. Thus, if CL operates cable television in half the city and Comcast lowers their price 25% to compete, that price should be available for all in the city even if they don't have access to CL cable.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 19th, 2015, 6:33 pm

The only reasonable thing I'd advocate here is a requirement that franchisees charge uniform rates across the city, regardless of competitors' options. Thus, if CL operates cable television in half the city and Comcast lowers their price 25% to compete, that price should be available for all in the city even if they don't have access to CL cable.
I think this would be my only concern with regards to a partial-city rollout - that a place like Comcast would offer lower rates for those areas that have competition while keeping prices the same or raising them in areas that don't have competition.

I have to wonder if it's already happening in regards to internet. Plenty of areas in the city have limited competition, such as no USI fiber access.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 19th, 2015, 7:02 pm

It's not just the upfront price, but also the cost of renewal/trial period expiration. As documented above, the Comcast people will usually give you a better deal if you threaten cancellation.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 19th, 2015, 7:39 pm

Equity is about more than economic position.

This is as much a geographical issue as it is an economic one.
Would agree with twincitizen that expecting everyone to have top-notch cable or Internet services is a bit much, but I guess I would throw out (if you look back at this whole thread) that clearly, certain types of 'o folks who can afford it would very much prefer to have them, and so if you think about only rolling it out to parts of the city, that's adding another strike to certain areas that could use more higher-income residents. Would someone pick a certain neighborhood over another because of fiber? Maybe? The thought popped up in my head.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

tcarter612
City Center

Postby tcarter612 » March 19th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Seeing as we're weeks ahead of normal -- snow is all gone and ground is nearly thawed -- any chance USI can start installing fiber sooner?

We actually have started, the weather has been kind to us so far and we are working hard to get everyone live as soon as possible.

New area installation should start by April 1 and we will be going full stream all summer long.

Thanks for the support.

-Travis / USI