Bike Shopping

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Bike Shopping

Postby grant1simons2 » February 27th, 2017, 2:30 pm

I would like to stay under $400.00, ideally, if I go new, under $300.00 if I can find something worthwhile used. The handle bars on the Civia Lowry look about right for me.
This may be pointing out the obvious, but as mentioned above Sunrise Cyclery at 29th and Blaisdell had a ton of used bike when last I was there (awhile ago), in what looked to me to be varying levels of condition.
Umm... There's a giant bike polo court setup in half of the shop right now so the rest of it is a little cluttered. I'll be in next weekend hopefully to clean up shop some more so I can see what we have.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » February 27th, 2017, 5:24 pm

A small high quality u lock is the ticket. Larger locks are less secure because cutting and prying tools are easier to use on a loose lock.
Yep. Multiple small u-locks are best as long as you can stand the extra weight, because cutting/prying time is basically linear. Be sure to lock both the frame and the rear wheel together too if you have an internal hub, as that will often be worth as much as the rest of the bike combined.
Look for U-lock that are double-shackled, like OnGuard locks or the more expensive Kryptonite locks. The Kryptonite "evolution" lock uses a bent food and single shackle -- cheaper Masterlocks also use this. This is less secure, because a thief only needs to make one cut (then bend it out. Double-shackled require two cuts to get past.

Also look for hardened steel, although that's harder to know. OnGuard and Kryptonite are the major national brands. I would not buy Masterlock at all.

I concur with the advice to go small. You don't need a big lock, because going around *just* the rear wheel is enough, when you do so within the rear triangle of the frame: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 20th, 2018, 11:58 am

Some good info in this thread. So, I've left my garage door open accidentally a handful of times. Most recent time someone walked/rode away with my bike. I'm looking to replace it. it was a $300 hybrid. Mostly I ride it for recreation and an occasional trip to the store. Once in a while for exercise as a replacement for running. I'm curious as to the differences between what I had and a bike that costs $500-1000+. I'd be willing to spend more if I feel it's worth it.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » November 26th, 2018, 9:24 pm

So I've been doing some holiday bike browsing/shopping lately. Is there anything I should look for (or common decisions to make) when it comes to ebikes? Also, are there any good holiday deals for bikes/ebikes?

Since I'm looking for a utility-focused bike, stuff like this post (below) is pretty helpful, but I'm not very familiar with ebikes (and am open to the extra expense for e-assist).
Based on what you just said, it seems we have similar views on what we want in a bike. Some of the requirements I had in mind when I got my bike:

-Fenders
-Kickstand
-Upright riding position
-Dynamo lighting
-Front quick release basket
-Bell
-Three speed
-Portable speakers
-Rear wheel lock
-Good looking

Bike shops seem to steer people away from functional upright style bikes under the assumption that people want a lightweight bike to go fast on. If you go in knowing that you want utilitarian features, make sure you ask for it all. I purchased my bike at Handsome when they had their storefront on Washington, and had to go back in a couple times to ask for my handlebars to be raised up.

Xcskier56
Block E

Postby Xcskier56 » November 26th, 2018, 10:34 pm

So I've been doing some holiday bike browsing/shopping lately. Is there anything I should look for (or common decisions to make) when it comes to ebikes? Also, are there any good holiday deals for bikes/ebikes?

Since I'm looking for a utility-focused bike, stuff like this post (below) is pretty helpful, but I'm not very familiar with ebikes (and am open to the extra expense for e-assist).
While I myself don’t know much about eBikes, I’d recommend you check out perennial cycles on Hennepin Ave (and the new reconstruction while you’re there). I used to live near there and went in for parts and things frequently. Their bike selection is pretty exclusively utility/electric/cruisers so I bet they’ll be able to point you in the right direction

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » November 27th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Based on what you just said, it seems we have similar views on what we want in a bike. Some of the requirements I had in mind when I got my bike:

-Fenders
-Kickstand
-Upright riding position
-Dynamo lighting
-Front quick release basket
-Bell
-Three speed
-Portable speakers
-Rear wheel lock
-Good looking

Bike shops seem to steer people away from functional upright style bikes under the assumption that people want a lightweight bike to go fast on. If you go in knowing that you want utilitarian features, make sure you ask for it all. I purchased my bike at Handsome when they had their storefront on Washington, and had to go back in a couple times to ask for my handlebars to be raised up.

Have you considered a Copenhagen Wheel? https://www.superpedestrian.com/en You can put it on any bike you want.

I've personally been thinking about putting one on my bike. My only hangup for any ebike is the potential for theft might keep me from using it as much as I'd like. Bikes get stolen all the time. I think an ebike would be a prime target. It really doesn't matter how good you lock is. With a cheap hydraulic cutter any lock can be cut in seconds.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 29th, 2018, 8:44 pm

More winter bike advice requested.

My 18-year-old has kept biking the 4 mile route to school up to now. But the season is starting to feel. I mean cold. He’s still committed. He’s asking for better gloves and something for his eyes (goggles?).

Anybody have top recommendations for where I can outfit him with winter biking gloves or goggles? Any top brands to hunt?

What are opinions about studded wheels for a winter biking necessity?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 30th, 2018, 10:17 am

Just did my first commute ever with studded tires. Definitely helped in the slushy bike lanes, but I also put them on my old hybrid, so riding more upright might have helped me feel more stable too. Definitely slower and more work. I'd say yes to studded tires for sloppy conditions but that's an easier call if you have a second bike (or maybe a second set of wheels if he thinks he can easily swap them out depending on conditions).

I have goggles I use (purchased from Amazon, no particularly strong recommendation: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1) when it's really cold, but as a glasses wearer, it's kind of last resort. In theory, they go over my glasses but unless I'm continually moving (and even sometimes then), my glasses fog up under them. Not an issue if he's not wearing glasses and they work okay if I forgo being able to see well and take the glasses off.

For gloves, I normally layer a thinner ski (Alpine Design) glove over my normal bike gloves, which I prefer for the flexibility of being able to take one layer off if my hands get to warm. Others have recommended bar mitts, but I've never tried it.

As I was changing into work clothes this morning, I was thinking about the big difference it makes to have somewhere to change. You're never going to get the layers exactly right, and getting out of damp clothes helps a lot to warm up again. It is also key to be able to have space for those clothes to dry again before you head home or you're starting out cold again.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 30th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Indeed. When I go into the office, I work in one of the premiere towers downtown. Yet there's not great bike storage and nowhere to change except a bathroom stall.

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » November 30th, 2018, 2:54 pm

More winter bike advice requested.

My 18-year-old has kept biking the 4 mile route to school up to now. But the season is starting to feel. I mean cold. He’s still committed. He’s asking for better gloves and something for his eyes (goggles?).

Anybody have top recommendations for where I can outfit him with winter biking gloves or goggles? Any top brands to hunt?

What are opinions about studded wheels for a winter biking necessity?
I think this article has you covered regarding winter biking!

"Basic mountain bikes or hybrids (between a mountain bike and a road bike) work great for winter, and if you really want to decrease your chances of falling, use studded tires, said Clark.
“Studded tires… cut through snow and stick to ice,” said Giannobile. “A normal tire will hit a patch of ice and just go flying.”

They won’t always work, according to both Clark and Giannobile, but they’re far more effective than anything else.

You can find studded tires at almost any bike shop, but if you’re having trouble, you can also check out Minneapolis based bike gear company 45NRTH, who specializes in winter biking equipment."

Also, I think a cheap pair of ski goggles are the way to go:

https://www.tcdailyplanet.net/surviving ... minnesota/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 4th, 2018, 5:17 pm

I don't use studded tires, I have some 3 season Schwable tires and have used Continental Winter tires before. What he needs depends on how much biking he's going to do and how bad of weather he's willing to bike in. You might be able to just let some air out of mountain bike tires if he's not riding in the worst of it and they are of a softer compound. For hands you can't really beat good huge gloves. Chain lube and lights...especially lights are important too. It's really what you make of it. I rode my Brompton (folding bike) last year in -15 zero and flew over the ice and passed those with their slow studs.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 4th, 2018, 6:39 pm

I really appreciate my studded tires. It's possible to do without them but I appreciate the stability and peace of mind. You will lose some speed, but looking at my Strava data, I'm only about 20% slower on studded tires (even with a different, much more upright/relaxed bike) than on my summer bikes. If you're on the fence you can maybe get by with just studs on the front tire, which will help keep the bike stable while keeping your speed up. There is some risk taking turns and braking that way, though.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » December 12th, 2018, 8:19 am

What distances are you traveling (one way) and how fast are you riding? Do you sweat that much if you’re riding 5-7 miles at a casual pace?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 12th, 2018, 10:22 am

Looks like I'm averaging around 9 mph on the studded tires with a commute that's 5.5-6 miles each way. Don't sweat much, no, but there is some fine-tuning of the right amount of clothes that can make a difference.

When it's warmer, you can always slow down if you're too warm (and not in a hurry).

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » December 21st, 2018, 6:52 am

The bike shops in exurban Florida are all about racing, sport, & performance. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. There is a budding urbanism movement here, and it deserves a bike shop.