Public schools, School Districts, and Education

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
MNdible
is great.

Re: Renting vs. Owning | Apartments vs. Condos

Postby MNdible » May 2nd, 2016, 1:35 pm

The quality of the school attendance boundary you live in can have a serious impact on the potential resale value of your starter home, regardless of whether you have kids or not.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 2nd, 2016, 1:38 pm

Similarly trying to get this halfway back on track, it's weird to think about schools (in terms of buying a house in a particular neighborhood) when you don't even have kids yet. But a lot of people do!! Like the soonest I could possibly have a kid in elementary school is 6-7 years from now (incl. gestation). On average, do most people even stay in their first/starter home that long? Particularly at the lower end of the starter home market (assuming not buying a great/ideal house on the first crack)? Obviously school quality influences home prices (therefore affecting your resale in 6+ years down the line), but like in general, childless couples should not really give too much thought to schools, right? The whole damn world can change in that amount of time.
"Oh, hey, looks like people think Hale is pretty decent too, that's nice" is about how much thought we put into it. Way farther down the list than "what can I walk to" and "can I get to work without a car" as two examples of higher priorities.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 2nd, 2016, 1:39 pm

The quality of the school attendance boundary you live in can have a serious impact on the potential resale value of your starter home, regardless of whether you have kids or not.
Yeah, but wouldn't that be factored into the initial purchase price?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 2nd, 2016, 1:43 pm

Sure, assuming the quality of a given school stays constant.

But if you bought a starter home assuming that you weren't going to be there for more than five years and so therefore bought in a neighborhood with an unattractive school, and then decided you wanted to move into a neighborhood with an attractive school when it's time to put the kid into school... you could be in for sticker shock.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » May 2nd, 2016, 2:44 pm

In the general sense, I'd agree with that, but I don't know if that's true in Mpls though. We bought in SW Mpls and at the time there was no assigned community school for our neighborhood so you could basically go to one of your top three choices. We had neighbor kids at Lake Harriet, Burroughs and Hale/Field. Even though Barton is the closest, I didn't know anyone who went there. It's always been hard to get into!

School attendance boundaries changed around 2009 and you could no longer send your kids to other neighborhood schools. On paper, our default community school isn't as "good" as Burroughs, Harriet, etc., but there certainly hasn't been a decline in housing prices here!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Public schools, School Districts, and Education

Postby amiller92 » May 2nd, 2016, 2:53 pm

More non-parent glibness: A school the kid (or the kid and I) can get to without driving would also be a big plus. I think exercise and active transportation are really important to health and brain development. Hale's just under a mile away.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 2nd, 2016, 7:05 pm

Hale? Also a word meaning healthy
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 3rd, 2016, 7:27 am

She's also great in Pretty Little Liars.