Regional Water Resources (Aquifers, Rivers, Lakes)

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Regional Water Resources (Aquifers, Rivers, Lakes)

Postby Anondson » September 7th, 2018, 8:36 pm

I found this map of impaired waters in the Three Rivers area of coverage.

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201809 ... f8a3b6.png[/IMG]

Damn all those creeks are considered impaired? I hope the work on the Minnehaha Greenway brings it closer to not impaired soon!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 14th, 2019, 7:40 am

A danger of shrinking aging cities ... water staying in the pipes too long absorbing metals and growing bacteria.

https://theconversation.com/water-stays ... lth-116119

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 21st, 2019, 10:57 pm

Our stormwater infrastructure is not up to the task of our new wetter climate.

http://www.startribune.com/increasing-s ... 558826472/

Increased erosion, shrinking beaches, wet basements, lakefront property underwater.

Fascinating how Vadnais Heights spent $70,000 to pump water out of a lake into an interstate stormwater retention pond for a few lake homes.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 22nd, 2019, 3:46 pm

What’s the alternative? Asking earnestly.

Buying them out and forcing these houses off your tax rolls seems no cheaper/better.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 22nd, 2019, 4:13 pm

Assuming this is a new normal, is the interstate retention pond drainage designed for an increase as a permanent addition to flow and capacity? I mean it drains somewhere too. I can see it being allowed as a temporary emergency.

One alternative is sending the affected properties the bill or a significant percentage of the bill.

It sounded like the cost for this came out of the city’s general fund as they didn’t have a dedicated stormwater fund. Whether this is a good investment I guess depends on how much revenue the properties are contributing to the general fund per year, or to a future stormwater fund.

Watershed politics seem more rife than other politics with “It’s never my fault. I shouldn’t have to do anything different. Someone else is to blame. And it is mismanagement that let it happen.”

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 23rd, 2019, 8:39 am

Stories like this will get more interesting when a recession hits and cities and individuals have less funds. I also wouldn't be surprised if poorer communities face the same issues and get different responses from govt officials. I grew up in Blaine and many of the developments were built in pretty wet areas. They created drainage ponds in one large enough to label the place, "The Lakes," but we'll see if all that holds up.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 23rd, 2019, 9:23 pm

This quick swing sure makes the White Bear Lake lawsuit seem ill advised. Yet it still drags on even though the lake is above average (OHW) this year.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/sh ... d=82016700

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 23rd, 2019, 9:35 pm

It will be very interesting to see how long of a wetter period we enter into. The Colorado River water sharing agreement was first set during a period that was an anomaly and has rarely ever been that wet, but development since then has gone on with the assumption that watershed would go back.

The same concern could apply here, are we in a new climate of wetter or a new climate or dryer. I assume the mistake will be for development hungry exurbs with visions of suburban destinies will pressure to allow development as if the wet period is going to be a new normal and they should be allowed to draw groundwater as if.

For resiliency sake, my opinion is that we should draw groundwater based on the driest periods on record. We should develop surface property based on the wettest periods on record.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 24th, 2019, 10:27 pm

What’s the alternative? Asking earnestly.

Buying them out and forcing these houses off your tax rolls seems no cheaper/better.
Depends. How long will it take the property taxes from the 2-3 dozen single family homes around Twin Lake to pay for the $70,000 in expenses from this event? And how often will this happen? This event would cost each household like $2-3k, which they would complain about/fight paying, every time it floods like this.

We have to add in more wetlands throughout our different watershed systems. Buying out houses around our lakeshores and turning them into park/wetland space seems like a good place to start.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 26th, 2019, 8:52 pm

http://m.startribune.com/waterlogged-ne ... 560692742/

So I suppose we should get started on converting south Minneapolis back into wetlands too then?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 26th, 2019, 10:20 pm

If people are able to afford the $30,000 repair bills from rising water tables, and flood insurance rates, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But if they start demanding the collective bail them out and not expect the rest of us to request some concessions, I don’t think this will get far.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 26th, 2020, 6:45 am

This video demonstrates a nifty tool that maps where water flows through the city storm water system and how long it takes to get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkjBKh9JSRo

Kinda cool.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 28th, 2023, 7:51 am

Blaine found to have over-pumped groundwater causing homeowners to lose water in their own wells.

https://www.startribune.com/dnr-unpermi ... 600285751/