Breweries and Taprooms

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Breweries and Taprooms

Postby FISHMANPET » January 19th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Yeah, despite their location in industrial areas, most of these places are fairly transit-able. Based on what I know about this board, however, the crowd leans heavily toward people in South Minneapolis—which means a fair number would require at least one transfer. Since most people aren’t going to a brewery alone, it’s not too difficult to split an Uber/Lyft. You can also, like many of my friends, have a single beer and still enjoy the company and an hour later be good to drive.

As for why to go to a brewery: If you want to socialize with friends and there’s good beer…why not? Many of the breweries don’t distribute, so if you want Dangerous Man’s Peanut Butter Porter, you need to go there (or pick up a growler). Others have a great location: LynLake’s rooftop is great in three seasons and they coordinate food with local places to be delivered straight to you. I suppose many of my social situations involve (small amounts) of alcohol, but sometimes it’s just nice to get out of the house and catch up with folks…a brewery allows that.
I'm also in an argumentative mood so I'll just point here that you're accepting the limitations of our liquor laws. If you want Dangerous Man's Peanut Butter Porter, why isn't it served at places other than Dangerous man? Do they not distribute because they truly don't want to, or because our liquor laws make it too much of a hassle? A regular bar or restaurant also allows you to get out of the house and catch up with folks over a beer, without the silly limitation that the beer is brewed 100 feet away from you.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 19th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Having accessed Surly by transit, I can definitively say it is accessible by transit only in the sense that you can draw a short line on a map from the light rail to the front door. There are no sidewalks connecting Surly to the light rail.
This should get better when they redo the disaster that is 4th Street. That said, there are sidewalks if you go up Washington to Malcolm. I've been to Surly several times and never driven (train and bike).
The parking lot is massive.
And entirely beyond where a pedestrian enters.

ETA: Plus they have a ton of bike parking.
There is nothing in the area but industrial.
For now, but a lot is changing.

But if you want transit accessible, Fulton, Modist, North Loop, Town Hall are all right by a Green Line stop (Day Block not too far either). Bang, Lake Monster and Urban Growler are definitely walkable from the Green Line too, if a bit farther through less pleasant stuff.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 19th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Also if your intention is to get sloppy drunk you're probably not going to end up at a craft brewery anyway so in that regard not having food there is not as big of a deal probably

And Town Hall is what I want more of, a place that serves their own stuff but also offers a full food menu and full bar including mixed drinks and other things that aren't beer. I have a hard time believing that the experience of sitting in a former warehouse drinking beer made by one company is preferable to that of something like Town Hall.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 19th, 2017, 1:24 pm

I'm also in an argumentative mood so I'll just point here that you're accepting the limitations of our liquor laws. If you want Dangerous Man's Peanut Butter Porter, why isn't it served at places other than Dangerous man? Do they not distribute because they truly don't want to, or because our liquor laws make it too much of a hassle? A regular bar or restaurant also allows you to get out of the house and catch up with folks over a beer, without the silly limitation that the beer is brewed 100 feet away from you.
That was Adam, not me, that said he was in an argumentative mood.

I am not arguing in favor of our liquors laws. But since I cannot personally change them, I have to abide by them. And I happen to like beer. I also love Republic for the very reasons you're grumping about - I can have a wide selection of great beer (or cocktails) as well as some really f***ing good fries.

I can't speak for Dangerous Man, but they've told reporters in the past that they are not interested in distribution. They like their (very small) space. Not going to hold that against them.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 19th, 2017, 1:41 pm

In a world where distribution was much easier, I'd imagine that some places would still choose to not distribute.

I can't imagine why a tap room would be a place you'd want to go over a full restaurant, all other things being equal, if you care about anything other than beer. And I just can't imagine that many people caring that much about their beer that they're willing to forgo everything else about the experience of going out so you can get that one perfect beer. But maybe I'm wrong (I'm probably wrong).

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 19th, 2017, 1:58 pm

Some people like beer, some people don't. My friends like to skip around to all the breweries when they make something interesting to give it a taste—plenty of these places will make small batches of stuff you won't be able to get anywhere else. But that's not everybody's scene.

You're right that, all else being equal, a place with alcohol and food would be ideal. But most of the time, my friends and I are hitting up a brewery either after dinner (so we don't need food - we just want a beer or two) or sometime in the afternoon (this is the case especially on a nice summer weekend). We're not forgoing any part of the "experience" because we really only want the beer and company...and sometimes the ambiance of a place that isn't one of our apartments.

Still, a majority of the time, we end up at places like Republic or Nightingale or other low-key places that have a good drink menu, decent prices, and food we can share. But it's quite nice to sit on LynLake's rooftop and take in the skyline over an IPA in the summer or get cozy in Dangerous Man with a Peanut Butter Porter or Chocolate Milk Stout in the depths of winter.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 19th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Not feeling particularly argumentative, so I'll just note that it's been known to happen that somebody who didn't intend to get sloppy drunk may end up drinking a bit more than they originally intended, and having some food at the ready to help sop up the booze is probably a good idea.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » January 19th, 2017, 2:02 pm

I can't imagine why a tap room would be a place you'd want to go over a full restaurant, all other things being equal, if you care about anything other than beer. And I just can't imagine that many people caring that much about their beer that they're willing to forgo everything else about the experience of going out so you can get that one perfect beer. But maybe I'm wrong (I'm probably wrong).
I think you are wrong. A lot of people really like beer. But also, I don't really want to eat when I go out with friends for an evening. I eat dinner at 6, put my kids to bed, then go out with friends. I have no need whatsoever for another meal. So if I want to go out and chat with my friends, my options are going for a drink (either coffee, tea or alcohol, if I want something with any flavor). Tap rooms fulfill that purpose perfectly.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 19th, 2017, 2:09 pm

I wanna point out that I aaaaaam kinda trolling everybody here. I personally don't like tap rooms because I don't drink beer and so they offer nothing to me. I understand most people do drink beer so this isn't really a problem for them. I don't think tap rooms are some urban panache like they seem to be so often treated, but maybe it's just because I'm a grumpy old man who deep down hates fun, and more importantly hates when people have the wrong kind of fun.

I am enjoying thinking more critically about this and also listening to how other people people feel about tap rooms. Feel free to keep arguing with me, just keep in mind why I'm arguing in the first place.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 19th, 2017, 2:10 pm

It's been a couple months since I've been to Surly but i'm pretty sure if you count the blacktop multi use trail along the transit way as a sidewalk there are sidewalks the entire way.
Correct. And, while it's not great now, they're rebuilding 4th this summer. So, it'll be better soon.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 19th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Me irl:

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 19th, 2017, 3:29 pm

I have a hard time believing that the experience of sitting in a former warehouse drinking beer made by one company is preferable to that of something like Town Hall.
Variety is the spice of life, man.

One of the things I really like about some of the tap rooms (e.g., Indeed, Bauhaus, Lake Monster, 612) is the reused industrial space. These are structures us white collar types don't get to see the inside of that often. Then again, I've been known to wander around that sort of area looking for old commercial signs, so I may be biased.

But as I'm pretty sure I'm older than you (Facebook stalking says, ugh, by a decade), can you lay off the old man stuff? ;)

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 19th, 2017, 3:32 pm

and having some food at the ready to help sop up the booze is probably a good idea.
I also suspect that this does not actually work, but I've directed my argumentativeness elsewhere.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 19th, 2017, 3:37 pm

I am enjoying thinking more critically about this and also listening to how other people people feel about tap rooms. Feel free to keep arguing with me, just keep in mind why I'm arguing in the first place.
Also: there is no better bike destination than a tap room.

Okay, that's not true, there is no better bike destination than Sea Salt, as (wait for it!), there's food in addition to good beer. But one needs more than one place to ride to.

But seriously, a bar or restaurant is not a good substitute for a tap room. Nobody's going to look at you funny or be unhappy that you're dressed for something athletic. The smart ones have bike parking (Flat Earth, I'm looking at you, even though I'm planning to go back anyway). On the weekend, there's usually other bikers. Just works.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » January 19th, 2017, 4:00 pm

and having some food at the ready to help sop up the booze is probably a good idea.
I also suspect that this does not actually work, but I've directed my argumentativeness elsewhere.
Yeah, there is no evidence I could find that this works, and many people saying it does not work.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 19th, 2017, 4:02 pm

One of the things I really like about some of the tap rooms (e.g., Indeed, Bauhaus, Lake Monster, 612) is the reused industrial space. These are structures us white collar types don't get to see the inside of that often. Then again, I've been known to wander around that sort of area looking for old commercial signs, so I may be biased.
It is funny to me you said this. I work with a guy who used to work in the building where Fulton is now. He has some good stories about the North Loop from thirty years ago.

We took him there last year before a Twins game, someone asked what he thought of the place. He said if was pretty neat, but when he worked there was more alcohol in the building.

MountainDude
Block E

Postby MountainDude » January 21st, 2017, 1:16 pm

Some outside perspective here...I currently live in Denver, but lived in MSP for 18 years (and I've been to a fair number of MSP taprooms). There are currently 60+ breweries in Denver and most are taprooms. Not many have kitchens. Food trucks serve most of the taprooms and it's a great model because as others have said, one doesn't have to hassle with food services, inspections, etc. I've visited most of them over the years and my buddies and I talk about what keeps so many going...and there's more coming. If they serve quality beer and create a welcoming community gathering space, then more neighborhoods could see growth. I've seen many taprooms that are treated as social gathering spaces with kids, dogs, and people of all ages. Yes, most of those people are drinking, but it's just as much of a space for socializing and connecting.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 23rd, 2017, 10:07 am

I've seen many taprooms that are treated as social gathering spaces with kids, dogs, and people of all ages. Yes, most of those people are drinking, but it's just as much of a space for socializing and connecting.
Yes. For whatever reason - more expensive product maybe - they tend to be more like a community pub than a seedy bar.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 22nd, 2017, 6:13 pm