George Floyd murder and aftermath

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: George Floyd murder and aftermath

Postby SurlyLHT » September 17th, 2020, 9:28 am

Anybody have any idea what the city's best course of action is to have a home for the Third Precinct? During the Council meeting yesterday the Council was told they were back to square one and may have to place the station outside of the Precinct. With the new city office building being built can they use the old City of Lakes or Public Service Center? Do the timelines match?

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » September 23rd, 2020, 8:59 am

I think that would be way to far from the area they are supposed to patrol and such unless you’re going to roll them into the downtown precinct and have them cover both the first and third.
I don’t have any issue with the city deciding against this place but to not have a backup plan for this just comes off as bumbling on their part given the collapse of the council’s police plan just a while back.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 23rd, 2020, 11:33 am

During the Council meeting yesterday the Council was told they were back to square one and may have to place the station outside of the Precinct.
I'm struggling to find more info about this. What were the reasons given?
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 24th, 2020, 12:41 pm

During the Council meeting yesterday the Council was told they were back to square one and may have to place the station outside of the Precinct.
I'm struggling to find more info about this. What were the reasons given?
I literally watch the Council Meeting on YouTube to get the information. The Strib wrote about it a bit. It might be on the next POGO meeting. Seems like they need to do something soon.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 24th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Here are the options the city is offering for reopening Chicago and 38th.
http://www2.minneapolismn.gov/www/group ... 226066.pdf

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 25th, 2020, 9:55 am

Can someone explain why they don’t just keep it as a roundabout? Is there also hope to preserve the art on the street itself?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 25th, 2020, 10:04 am

Can someone explain why they don’t just keep it as a roundabout? Is there also hope to preserve the art on the street itself?
Roundabouts for intersections with this traffic volume would take up too much space. One option just keep the statue in the intersection.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 25th, 2020, 10:09 am

Rock on. Thanks for clarifying.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 25th, 2020, 11:29 am

And if people want to be able to interact with the statue, putting it in the middle of a roundabout is a terrible idea.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » September 25th, 2020, 2:17 pm

I know there has been talk to renaming a park if they go this route I think it should be moved there where you can add a community space around it as well. If possible maybe even add some of the local art work and murals as well. I just dont see any good options for keeping it at its current location and having it open to cars

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 25th, 2020, 4:01 pm

US Bank has announced their plans for the three branches damaged in the unrest.

1030 W Broadway: Building will be repaired, completion in early summer 2021.
919 E Lake: Building will be demolished and rebuilt, completion in fall 2021.
2800 E Lake: Community leaders told US Bank that a mixed-use building would be better in that location, so the bank bought another site at 36th Ave and Lake St to build a new branch, to open Summer 2021. The article doesn't say what the address is, so fingers crossed that it's the now-closed Tim Horton's.

The 2800 E Lake property will be donated to a nonprofit, and the bank will help them develop it, which is pretty cool.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

HKM
Metrodome

Postby HKM » September 28th, 2020, 12:38 pm

US Bank has announced their plans for the three branches damaged in the unrest.

1030 W Broadway: Building will be repaired, completion in early summer 2021.
919 E Lake: Building will be demolished and rebuilt, completion in fall 2021.
2800 E Lake: Community leaders told US Bank that a mixed-use building would be better in that location, so the bank bought another site at 36th Ave and Lake St to build a new branch, to open Summer 2021. The article doesn't say what the address is, so fingers crossed that it's the now-closed Tim Horton's.

The 2800 E Lake property will be donated to a nonprofit, and the bank will help them develop it, which is pretty cool.

I hope there are housing components at both 919 E Lake Street site (formerly a one-story building with a surface lot with built form guidance of Transit 10) and at 2800 E Lake Street. It would be great to see the Wells Fargo/Kraus Anderson project at the SE corner of 8th & Portland be the new norm for formerly one-story bank branches.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 28th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Kudos, to Target, US Bank, Wellington and Cub Foods, Aldis for all their hardwork at rebuilding. I think this shows how strong our city is and will help prevent some of the longer-term affects we saw after the riots in the late 60s. (It's hard to imagine Plymouth Ave N used to have storefronts and etc.) Unfortunately, the road has been much tougher for smaller businesses and I wish the city put more elbow and creativity in helping them.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 28th, 2020, 2:22 pm

I hope there are housing components at both 919 E Lake Street site (formerly a one-story building with a surface lot with built form guidance of Transit 10) and at 2800 E Lake Street. It would be great to see the Wells Fargo/Kraus Anderson project at the SE corner of 8th & Portland be the new norm for formerly one-story bank branches.
Me too. I'm not very optimistic at 919 E Lake; if they want to rebuild basically what was there before, I don't think the city would (or should) stop them, just like they didn't stop Holiday from rebuilding the gas station at 46th and Hiawatha. Hopefully they downsize a bit, though - if they decide two drive-through lanes and a dozen parking spots (like the new location by Rafter) is enough, they could sell off half of the site for a different redevelopment.

For the new branch at 36th and Lake (and the community nonprofit's development at 28th and Lake), though, I don't see why the 2 story height minimum and drive-through ban wouldn't apply.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » September 29th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Its very good to see all of these major companies that the communities needs not leaving the area like usually happens after events like this. We are very lucky they are staying and investing in Lake Street. As much as I agree the city needs more of a back bone when approving subpar buildings they should be flexible given situation.

NickP
Target Field

Re: Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby NickP » October 17th, 2020, 9:52 am

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm

I don't know if others are feeling the same, but I'm actually glad the police charter question was ultimately not included on this year's ballot. And this is a change from how I felt at the time! I still agree with those who think the Charter Commission overstepped their role by blocking a unanimous City Council decision - that was a pretty rotten process. It probably should have ended up on the ballot this year, because that is the decision our duly-elected City Council made. I was previously in favor of it being on the 2020 ballot, mostly because I felt it was better to get the vote done and out of the way (regardless of outcome), so that it didn't hang around to completely dominate next year's Mayor & Council contests. The 2021 city elections are going to be total shitshow, single-issue campaigns regardless, but I felt they might be somewhat less so if the charter vote had already taken place and had a clear result. Because at least then, mayor/council campaigns could have been about the aftermath of the vote, where we go from here, and maybe been less acrimonious. Not to mention, the many other issues we all hope the mayor & council candidates will be discussing (dealing with homelessness, how to revive our once-thriving service/entertainment industry post-pandemic, ongoing revenue drops and likely coming declines in state/federal aid, etc.) As it stands, now every single candidate for council & mayor will constantly have to answer questions about if they do/don't support the charter amendment on policing, and this will be to the detriment of discussing all other critical issues facing the city.

But in the grand scheme, with everything at stake in this year's Presidential election and MN Legislature elections (DFL majorities = legal weed and transit funding, for starters, not to mention police reform statewide, stable LGA funding, etc.), it's honestly a huge relief to me that this ballot question was tabled until next year. The Council erred in trying to rush this onto the ballot so quickly. The Charter Commission also erred in overstepping and blocking the Council's will, but I'm now really glad they did.

[[Off-topic from the police charter question, but I hope you all voted Yes & Yes on this year's two charter questions regarding special elections and redistricting, respectively. If the 2021 elections result in some truly unqualified/loopy people getting on the council, we'll at least have the opportunity to remedy that in 2023...if this year's charter question #2 passes]]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 2nd, 2020, 2:25 pm

In defense of the process, the Charter Commission is basically the state mandated Judicial Branch of the city. The Legislative Branch, (The Council), was trying to take power from the Executive (The mayor,) and the Judicial ended up blowing the whistle saying this needed to be reviewed further. Next year the Council will likely draft another amendment and it likely will go through. The Charter Commission has no power to stop it since they only make recommendation and have so many days to do so .

People miss that this was about more than just the Police, but a significant alteration to what is basically the Minneapolis's Constitution and would have shifted even more power to the Council in an already weak Mayoral system.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 3rd, 2020, 10:12 am

Also worth noting that the City Council essentially blew up their standard public process, and was asking the Charter Commission to do the same, in order to rush it through and get it onto the ballot for November.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » November 3rd, 2020, 10:58 am

I think the city council has shown they can't handle the responsibilities they currently have. I believe it would be a huge mistake to give them more power. Kind of like giving a 3 year old a loaded hand gun.