George Floyd murder and aftermath

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Re: George Floyd murder and aftermath

Postby LakeCharles » June 16th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Maybe buy cup foods but then that’s taking away a grocery store in an area that just became a food desert.
There is a full service grocery store about 6 blocks away.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 17th, 2020, 10:38 am

Maybe use part of the parking lot on the southwest corner which appears to belong to a church.
Metro Transit uses it as a layover for buses. Coincidentally, the preacher was talking about how they've been after that lot during an outdoor service the Sunday after.

I'm curious whether Speedway intends to re-open that store (and the one at Cedar and the Parkway). I don't think it was ever on fire (not sure) but it's been closed and boarded up.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 18th, 2020, 7:01 am

I noticed yesterday that the Speedway at Hennepin/25th had its pumps removed. Maybe they're pulling out of Minneapolis entirely?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 18th, 2020, 8:59 am

Nah. The one on 34th Ave re-opened. But if a station of sufficiently damaged, I can't imagine that they wouldn't think about right-sizing.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » June 25th, 2020, 8:06 am

NY Times article about the situation in Powderhorn park: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/us/m ... olice.html

This portion is insanity:
Mitchell Erickson’s fingers began dialing 911 last week before he had a chance to even consider alternatives, when two black teenagers who looked to be 15, at most, cornered him outside his home a block away from the park.

One of the boys pointed a gun at Mr. Erickson’s chest, demanding his car keys.

Flustered, Mr. Erickson handed over a set, but it turned out to be house keys. The teenagers got frustrated and ran off, then stole a different car down the street.

Mr. Erickson said later that he would not cooperate with prosecutors in a case against the boys. After the altercation, he realized that if there was anything he wanted, it was to offer them help. But he still felt it had been right to call the authorities because there was a gun involved.

Two days after an initial conversation, his position had evolved. “Been thinking more about it,” he wrote in a text message. “I regret calling the police. It was my instinct but I wish it hadn’t been. I put those boys in danger of death by calling the cops.”
These teenagers for sure need help, but even in a broken system once it escalates to threats of murder YOU NEED TO CALL THE COPS. The next victim might not be so lucky.

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » June 25th, 2020, 2:36 pm

First time poster. Yeah I read that article and couldn’t believe that either.

To me the distressing part is the selfishness couched in ‘virtue’. Yes, there is a chance these kids could have met with undue force from a cop. However I gotta think the chance that a gun in their hands is ultimately used to hurt or kill someone else is much much higher.

So basically this guy decided to forego the smaller risk and accept the larger risk just so he didn’t have to be the bad guy. Doesn’t bode well.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » June 26th, 2020, 9:06 am

All the people on social media spouting off about how they hate the police- If a home invader is kicking down their door, I wonder who they're going to call? Pizza Hut delivery?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 26th, 2020, 9:40 am

I mean, they’d call 911. They would like the response to the call to not be a paramilitary LARP with rules of engagement to shoot anything that makes them flinch.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » June 26th, 2020, 10:32 am

All the people on social media spouting off about how they hate the police- If a home invader is kicking down their door, I wonder who they're going to call? Pizza Hut delivery?
Well if you call the cops, they probably won't stop the burglary. They've certainly never been helpful whenever I've been stolen from (almost like that's not what they're designed to do). But if you're lucky they will only shoot one or two of your dogs. Hopefully you aren't black, so they don't assault or kill you in your own home since you "look like" a burglar.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » June 26th, 2020, 11:11 am

Sounds about right. Judging by the experience of two of my friends the Minneapolis cops treat auto burglaries as a parking fee for visiting the city, not a crime to investigate to throw the criminals in jail.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 26th, 2020, 11:40 am

I mean, they’d call 911. They would like the response to the call to not be a paramilitary LARP with rules of engagement to shoot anything that makes them flinch.
Lot of people are pretending like the City Council's plan is for a bunch of therapists to show up to hostage situations or something.

But (1) if you look at the data, the number of police calls where the cops actually respond to a violent crime in progress is extremely low. (2) If you look at the data, shockingly few of these crimes are solved. There's some research out there that shows that the number of crimes that are solved is much more correlated with a low crime rate than the number of police on the street.

Finally, (3) if you look at what the councilmembers are actually saying you will see that they are not calling for a total elimination of police-type forces. The resolution that passed the council explicitly provides for a "Department of Law Enforcement Services" which would function like a police department. The difference is: it would be built from scratch (aka, Bob Kroll's union gets busted and all the long-time cops with bad attitudes get fired), it would be much smaller, and it would be subservient to a larger department within the city with a much broader public safety mandate.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » June 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Well if you call the cops, they probably won't stop the burglary. They've certainly never been helpful whenever I've been stolen from (almost like that's not what they're designed to do). But if you're lucky they will only shoot one or two of your dogs. Hopefully you aren't black, so they don't assault or kill you in your own home since you "look like" a burglar.
My experience was different.

I was out of town on a work trip. My partner came home and found the door open. We had been robbed and he called the police. They gathered fingerprints, got a match and found the guy. He was arrested and convicted.

If the same thing happened again, I would call the police again. Many cops can and do often behave well and do their job. That said, I fully support the general idea that we should downsize the police department and put them under a larger public health and safety department. There will continue to be a need in our society for armed law enforcement professionals, but we need a system that only calls them in when actually necessary.

I live in the Lyndale neightborhood of Minneapolis, just for a general location reference. Also, I'm white.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » June 26th, 2020, 2:49 pm

The councils plan is a vision with zero details. Going to be a no vote from me as I don’t vote for a nice vision of the future at the city level I vote for results and details. We need real change in the MSPD not what they just passed.
Also yes I call the cops if something happens. Not sure why anyone thinks cops don’t investigate crimes and make arrests off data and information they collect. Heck it was detailed police work that busted the crime ring robbing and beating the after bar crowd less than a year ago. Now for auto theft yes they need to do a better job but so do most major cities with regards to that crime.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » June 26th, 2020, 4:29 pm

The councils plan is a vision with zero details. Going to be a no vote from me as I don’t vote for a nice vision of the future at the city level I vote for results and details. We need real change in the MSPD not what they just passed.
Also yes I call the cops if something happens. Not sure why anyone thinks cops don’t investigate crimes and make arrests off data and information they collect. Heck it was detailed police work that busted the crime ring robbing and beating the after bar crowd less than a year ago. Now for auto theft yes they need to do a better job but so do most major cities with regards to that crime.
It's almost as if developing a plan takes time and community engagement, but ballot initiatives have deadlines for submittal, so the city council voted to submit a general framework now, when they are required to do so for a vote this year, but plan to spend the next 4 months talking to people and working out the details.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 26th, 2020, 6:03 pm

I have to laugh at the implication that people would've preferred it if the City Council had whipped together a plan in less than a month and passed it.

They are doing exactly what people want them to do: they are putting the question of whether there should be major change to the voters, and they are beginning a long community engagement process to hear from the public what a new public safety system should look like. This is the opposite of some kooky City Council going rogue and destroying something without a plan.

There literally is a plan and it's:
1. Get a mandate and the tools from the voters for change.
2. Talk with the public about what that change will be.
3. Make proposals, discuss them, vote on them normally after being informed by the public.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 26th, 2020, 8:12 pm

Here is my plan: I will never vote Democrat again the rest of my life. The Minneapolis City Council is worthless and sucked their thumbs while their city was taken over and burned. The arsonists and looters are garbage and should be in prison for the rest of their lives.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » June 26th, 2020, 10:15 pm

This is a major change and if you want people to support it you need to show us in great detail what comes next. Im all for major reform or even doing what Camden NJ did. But you say we need this power and will figure it out later seems backwards. Show me your plan and then I can make an educated decision.
Right now there plan is we may or may not have peace officers ? Well which is it. Thats kind of a big detail as a voter. This is why you dont rush policy as doing so leads to confusion which is whats happened here. Why should I give the city council this power(one which they have wanted for years) without knowing what exactly they will do with it.
No one said it had to be on the 2020 ballot vs the 2021.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » June 27th, 2020, 5:08 am

Hey, uptownbro—today is not November. Relax.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » June 27th, 2020, 10:13 am

Here's the proposed charter change (it takes less than 5 minutes to read):

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/Download ... 20VIII.pdf

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 27th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Here is my plan: I will never vote Democrat again the rest of my life. The Minneapolis City Council is worthless and sucked their thumbs while their city was taken over and burned. The arsonists and looters are garbage and should be in prison for the rest of their lives.
This is really unhelpful rhetoric. You really think someone who stole a TV should go to prison for the rest of their lives?

As for the City Council, you do you, but as far as I know, the Council has very little in the way of emergency powers that they could have enacted in such a short timeframe. The violence started Wednesday night, so they had two possible days (when they weren't in session), to try and pass legislation. It's not a shocker that they didn't.