My hometown: Columbus. Part 1: Clintonville.

Minneapolisite

My hometown: Columbus. Part 1: Clintonville.

Postby Minneapolisite » February 9th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Back around the mid-2000s Columbus was talking about streetcars (they have them in Portland), bike lanes and boulevards (they have those in Portland too), and revitalizing more neighborhoods, but things didn't quite pan out.

The last neighborhood I lived in before moving farther north is Clintonville, the nothernmost urban neighborhood in Columbus. Here's the main drag in South Clintonville (the better half) which has a good variety of retail and some dining options. There's not much in the way of nightlife here and your best bet is probably off High at Studio 35 were you can watch a movie and grab a pint at the bar and some pizza made next door. This part of Clintonville is the funky, fun side of the neighborhood as opposed to the stuffy, more suburban area up north.

MAP

The number of cyclists out was surprising. Here's a video of me driving my bike on this 35MPH road. It's not hard at all, I swear. Currently there are sharrows in the right lanes.

https://www.youtube.com/v/3PP2OHYlpfA

Welcome: we have strip malls. Trust me, it gets better, but this is the chasm that severs Clintonville and Old North Columbus.

O'Reilly's was my go-to neighborhood bar/pub: good food too.

Went here with a friend one night and while I didn't get sick I felt disgusting from all the greasy food I ate.

Same friend insists I get the sausage pizza here: it's made with homemade sausage and quickly made clear why they've stuck around for decades.

The place to go for chicken feet, live frogs, and durians.

Urban infill.

This closed and is now Vienna Ice Cafe.

To the left of that car wash is a pet wash.

Great coffeeshop.

Not crazy about the Hummer. *Update* Slated to become a vegan lunch spot: City Beet.

Another reason Columbus is the vegetarian/vegan capital of Ohio.

Just a reminder that we have hills. Not big hills, but hills nonetheless.

Bars are a rarity here; most of Clintonville is dry.

Density: what Clintonville needs. This development burnt down in the winter but rose like a phoenix.

Many people were sad when this diner closed. They've since reopened.

Another friend of mine swears by this place when it comes to BBQ.

Ghost ad. Can only make out "Clintonville".

Whole World is, I think, the oldest vegetarian restaurant/bakery in the city.

A rather popular thrift store.

Sushi from a deli?

Seagull Bags is great. Apparently, their messenger bags are big in Japan.

The building in the middle was the Clifton Theater: that and the building to the left were torn down about 2 years ago and is still an empty dirt lot.

The roundabout which isn't going forward would have required demolition of the building on the corner.

North of North Broadway it gets much too sprawly. You best just turn 'round and go back where ya came from.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Re: My hometown: Columbus. Part 1: Clintonville.

Postby TWA » February 15th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Ahh, Clintonville is my current 'hood. I actually live in the apartments in the picture you labeled "urban infill".

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » February 15th, 2013, 6:58 pm

I know those apartments well; I biked by all the time after shopping next door at Giant Eagle. I do miss being able to head south to there or north to Kroger where I could buy groceries and beer/wine/liquor (Columbus Brewing Company's IPA is worth seeking out if your into that style) -in the same building-. Studio 35 and Pattycake are a must if you haven't been. Clintonville was nice, but just a bit too quiet for my liking. I preferred living on King Ave just north of the Short North.

chimpls
Block E

Postby chimpls » February 23rd, 2013, 4:42 pm

whats the 'subway' entrance looking stairwell? did it lead to anything meaningful?

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » February 27th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Unfortunately no, not at all.