Detroit

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Detroit

Postby mattaudio » January 29th, 2019, 2:32 pm

I wonder if Michigan's relatively weaker economy *encouraged* this move. After all, if you are looking to employ thousands of low paid back-office workers who could do their job anywhere, why would you want to do in in MN where labor scarcity is driving up labor prices?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 29th, 2019, 3:13 pm

The Biz Journal notes (perhaps simplistically) that Detroit got the headquarters because Chemical Bank had already signed a development deal for the downtown tower, and they kept the TCF name because of the visibility that the Gopher Stadium naming rights gave them.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 31st, 2019, 9:51 pm

Ehhh, no loss.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 21st, 2019, 10:06 pm

In an odd twist of fate for the TCF name, Cobo Center (Detroit's massive riverfront convention center) will be renamed TCF Center by the end of 2019.

http://www.startribune.com/tcf-chemical ... 506172202/

Kilo_SSK
Block E

Postby Kilo_SSK » February 26th, 2019, 11:38 am

Some cities are planning to implement Elon Musk's Hyperloop, some are funding research on trams/buses that wouldn't bother traffic (okay, it's been messed up by scandals and scams, but there was still research for this), some are building skyscrapers with gardens around each floor, and even Saudi Arabia is tinkering with the idea of building entire "green" cities!

Meanwhile, Detroit's being Detroit. :|

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » April 17th, 2024, 7:12 am

I'm very interested in what will happening to the Renaissance Center in Detroit now that GM announced it's moving to the new Hudson two-building complex. I love the RenCen, even though I wouldn't want to walk its dark concrete hallways every day.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 17th, 2024, 9:06 am

Article: https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 328040007/

Minneapolis or St. Paul could really use a Dan Gilbert. A billionaire that cares about their city and puts their own money into keeping their downtown alive. Granted, our downtowns were not really in dire straits before the pandemic. Lacking street life and retail uses due to the skyway and other factors, sure, but generally we were trending in the right direction even without a semi-benevolent billionaire helping things along.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 17th, 2024, 10:59 am

Yeah, completely agreed. I'd hoped that the next generation of Pohlads might grow into that role with United Properties, but they've not stepped up yet. I feel like Minneapolis politics is so hobbled by a laundry list of injustices that need to be addressed first that nobody dares step up and blow some coin on cool stuff that really would make downtown shine.