Chicago

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Re: Chicago

Postby Andrew_F » July 31st, 2014, 10:34 pm

I live in Bridgeport (well, most of the time),and yes, both Orange and the Dan Ryan Branch have horrid station placement, but that's kind of been the reality of ROW acquisition since the mid-20th ccentury-- since the only available ROW is along freeways and rail corridors, it's rare to be able to put rail transit through the heart of existing urban neighborhoods. At least affordably.Not that the disgusting bus turnarounds on Orange are excused by that, though.

Thankfully the 8 is frequent, and the 44 and 35 are also options.

If you're looking for food recommendations in Bridgeport, skip the Chinese, the better ones are further north. Of the Mexican paces, Taqueria San Jose is the easy winner, even without taking into account that they're byob. Freddie's is a Bridgeport institution, having literally risen from the ashes twice in the last decade, big hangout for the established families of the area and district 9 cops. Maxwell Street Depot or Johnny O's for your 4am meat and grease. Bridgeport diner is ok too.

As far as bars go, Bernice's is exactly the tiny friendly bar you were describing above and is great if you can get past their lack of drafts. Maria's gets a lot of buzz, but is $$ and not really very impressive.

I would suggest Pilsen over Bridgeport if you're looking for a neighborhood to explore though. Take Pink to 18th and wander your way east, mostly following 18th, then take the 8 or 18 back to the west or south loop.

As far as payment: CTA doesn't require proof of payment. 17 mins between swipes on unlimited farecards at the same station, otherwise people would swipe others in more than they already do.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 1st, 2014, 7:52 pm

Ha! Bernice's was one of the places I wanted to hit up. I certainly can look past no drafts: plenty of Columbus dives have no drafts, but those tend to be bars that no one ever talks about. Thanks for the insight: duly noted.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 4th, 2014, 6:30 am

A couple of things.

$2 pints for happy hour are extremely easy to find. You can even find them at some of the nicer establishments.

And what is with all the comparison to Columbus? That city is nowhere near the same league as MSP. Especially when it comes to development, infill, and urbanism. Minneapolis has twice the density of Columbus.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 4th, 2014, 9:15 am

And what is with all the comparison to Columbus? That city is nowhere near the same league as MSP. Especially when it comes to development, infill, and urbanism. Minneapolis has twice the density of Columbus.
Because, as in Ann Arbor, Columbus residents have a hugely overinflated sense of their place in the world. "College town!"

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 4th, 2014, 10:06 am

That has always been my idea of Columbus. Just a glorified college town. Except it is in Ohio, which is even more depressing.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 4th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Yikes first of all... Chicago thread, second of all, people probably bash mpls like that all the time, and I fucking hate that... if you're just going to openly city bash eh... I feel like mplsite uses his personal context generously, maybe too generously... but it's not like we're all that in the context of a lot of cities either.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 4th, 2014, 9:56 pm

Yikes first of all... Chicago thread, second of all, people probably bash mpls like that all the time, and I fucking hate that... if you're just going to openly city bash eh... I feel like mplsite uses his personal context generously, maybe too generously... but it's not like we're all that in the context of a lot of cities either.
I admit I don't know about Columbus but I do know Ann Arbor (spent seven years there) and I can say without at doubt that people there think Ann Arbor is the greatest city in the country and how could *anything* be better? It's not even the best city in southeast Michigan.

Minneapolisite displays that exact same narrow-mindedness regarding Columbus, and more generally too.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 4th, 2014, 10:07 pm

I admit I don't know about Columbus but I do know Ann Arbor (spent seven years there) and I can say without at doubt that people there think Ann Arbor is the greatest city in the country and how could *anything* be better? It's not even the best city in southeast Michigan.

Minneapolisite displays that exact same narrow-mindedness regarding Columbus, and more generally too.
I think you're displaying the inverse reciprocal narrow-mindedness. every city means something different to someone else, great you didn't get along with Ann Arbor, or it's residents... That's no good reason for them not to love it, if it fits them or they are fond of it. It's also no good reason for you to stereo type similar cities with baseless claims. I'm not necessarily saying I think it's appropriate for Mplsite to use his personal context on excess, but I don't feel like your finger pointing is any better or more appropriate or makes you any less narrow minded.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 4th, 2014, 10:13 pm

I think you're displaying the inverse reciprocal narrow-mindedness. every city means something different to someone else, great you didn't get along with Ann Arbor, or it's residents... That's no good reason for them not to love it, if it fits them or they are fond of it. It's also no good reason for you to stereo type similar cities with baseless claims. I'm not necessarily saying I think it's appropriate for Mplsite to use his personal context on excess, but I don't feel like your finger pointing is any better or more appropriate or makes you any less narrow minded.
Point taken. I got along with Ann Arbor and its residents just fine. It's a fantastic town and has a ton for its size. But it's a town.

I'm just really tired of Minneapolisite's continued negativity concerning just about everything in the state.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 5th, 2014, 7:45 am

Personally I love how urban college towns, smaller cities, and even small towns can be. Urban versus rural is a land use mindset. If you can get quality urbanism in an average town with 50,000 people where houses sell for $150k, that sure sounds better for the future of our society than pretending that only the biggest of big cities are worthy urban places.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 6th, 2014, 11:33 am

Personally I love how urban college towns, smaller cities, and even small towns can be. Urban versus rural is a land use mindset. If you can get quality urbanism in an average town with 50,000 people where houses sell for $150k, that sure sounds better for the future of our society than pretending that only the biggest of big cities are worthy urban places.
Oh the urbanism is great, no doubt. Iowa City is a fun place for the same reason.

What I'm talking about is things like people thinking showing movies on top of a parking ramp is super-unique and makes a college town the best possible place to live ever. It's the myopia of the people, not the urban form that bugs me.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 8th, 2014, 10:36 pm

All I said is that alcohol is way cheaper in Chicago and Columbus. If that gives you penis envy for Columbus, then get those prices under control like every other city in the US.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 8th, 2014, 11:00 pm

I feel like this chart, backers of the Potato Salad Kickstarter by state, explains so much:
http://www.vox.com/2014/8/5/5972825/pot ... gave-money

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 9th, 2014, 9:36 pm

All I said is that alcohol is way cheaper in Chicago and Columbus. If that gives you penis envy for Columbus, then get those prices under control like every other city in the US.
A big reason that alcohol price for drinks are high in the Twin Cities is that we have use those taxes to build things that Columbus can only be envious about. They help to pay for convention centers, stadiums, amenities that would have other wise would not have been build without the extra taxes. I'll give you a pass this time as you were probably being potty trained when a good portion of those taxes were put into place and have not yet been paid off , or have rolled over to pay for something else.

Like cigarette, alcohol is a sin tax that is easy to increase without much screaming except for the bar and restaurant owners. People will still go out and drink or buy alcohol even as prices go up. It is a fairly steady source for revenue to help pay for things. Why we in Minnesota seem to tax the s**t out of it all over the state. Local and city governments know there are bars in there cities and they can make a few bucks taxing them. I'm sure you can find a nice dirty hole in the wall that you can get cheap drinks at if you look hard enough for it!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 10th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Convention Centers and stadiums that he personally doesn't use and so hates the very existence of, remember.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 10th, 2014, 8:49 pm

I use the stadiums and convention center and I still hate their existence. Sort of like urban freeways.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 11th, 2014, 9:07 pm

I'm sure you can find a nice dirty hole in the wall that you can get cheap drinks at if you look hard enough for it!
Hell, it's not even that hard. I've been dragged to more than a few happy hours at Cowboy Jack's downtown. I actually have enjoyed going there on occasion because (strong) rails were $2 and the apps were pretty cheap. But, you know, bros.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » August 11th, 2014, 9:19 pm

I'm dismayed the cheap skate douche hipster demographic isn't better served. Maybe a daring entrepreneur would open a 38th Street dive if the 23 becomes a high frequency route.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 12th, 2014, 8:08 am

You mean the Cardinal?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 13th, 2014, 6:59 am

I mean, is the cost of getting drunk really a gauge for the quality of life and desirability of an urban area? :? I'm speaking from a professional viewpoint of dealing with people's alcoholism and how it destroys their lives physically and mentally.