Miami

ord2msp
City Center

Miami

Postby ord2msp » January 7th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Apparently, the condo market in South Florida, particularly Miami, is experiencing an influx of new development. from March 2013

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000155478

Highlights:
-103 towers, 15,000 units proposed
-16 towers already built
-Mostly driven by foreign investors, primarily from South American (Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina), Canada, and China

This related article also helps frame the discussion. from March 2012

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... ndo-market

Highlights:
-Price per square foot is far cheaper in Downtown Miami than other large metros in Latin America
-These foreign investors can afford to make large down payments (usually half the cost of the unit and that typically means in excess of $250K)

Brickell CityCenter
Swire Properties, based out of Hong Kong, is undertaking a $1.05 billion, 9.1 acre mixed-use development in the heart of the Financial District Downtown Miami called Brickell CityCenter.

http://brickellcitycentreconnect.com/

Project Highlights:
-520,000 sq ft shopping center
-120,000 sq ft of office space
-800 condos in two towers
-243 hotel rooms
-93 serviced apartments
-3,100 parking spaces (two-level underground parking garage that spans 7 acres)
-Estimated completion: end of 2015

Swire wants to build an 80-story, 1,102 sq ft mixed-use tower as an addition to the previous plans listed above. WTF!?
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/20/3 ... tower.html

Something tells me it's a great time to be in the crane business in South Florida today. ;)

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Re: Miami Condo Boom

Postby go4guy » January 15th, 2014, 2:03 pm

I have been to Miami a few times in the year and a half. They do have some decent residential towers going up, but most of what is proposed seems to remain just that. They dont have much that is actually being constructed. This Brickell development has been in the works for 8 years, and there still hasn't been a shovel in the ground. Seems that big elaborate plans are presented, but there is no financing behind them.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » January 15th, 2014, 2:06 pm

I now see that they are above ground now on Brickell City Centre. My bad.

Still, with the number of proposals, there sure doesn't seem to be the development there should be there.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 27th, 2014, 2:04 pm

I see Miami as I do China. There are investors willing to build because they feel that the US is a safer investment. But they do not have the bodies that can afford to live in all of the proposed towers. A lot of the condos are vacation places for foreigners coming to the US for vacation. Miami is a logical place to come and vacation if you are from South America as you know there will be less of a language barrier with a lot of service industry being bilingual.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 27th, 2014, 2:43 pm

After the bust, I propose that UrbanMSPers pool cash together and pick up a Miami vacation condo.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 28th, 2014, 12:45 am

Best reality show ever.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 1st, 2014, 12:02 am

I see Miami as I do China. There are investors willing to build because they feel that the US is a safer investment. But they do not have the bodies that can afford to live in all of the proposed towers. A lot of the condos are vacation places for foreigners coming to the US for vacation. Miami is a logical place to come and vacation if you are from South America as you know there will be less of a language barrier with a lot of service industry being bilingual.
Yes, Miami attracts a lot of upper middle to upper class people from Latin America. Safer, less political strife, comparable climate and culture, with an affluent American lifestyle. That is a major factor influencing the current condo boom.

twincitizen

Miami

Postby twincitizen » December 29th, 2014, 11:00 am

In 6 days, I'm taking my talents to South Beach.

I'm staying at The National Hotel, right near da beach, boyee at Collins and 17th.

I will take any recommendations y'all have for restaurants, shops, sights, cool buildings, parks, activities, possible day trips, etc. Neither me or my gf are big drinkers and probably won't be going to any dance clubs or anything like that, so if you have a recommendation for a chill night spot, cool places to walk, etc. that'd be especially helpful.

Also, travel/transit tips between the airport & South Beach, to & fro on Miami Beach and other interesting areas are most welcome. We aren't renting a car, so transit/taxis will be our way of getting around, if we ever leave the beach that is. The weather looks amazing, with highs around 80.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Miami

Postby mattaudio » December 29th, 2014, 11:17 am

I almost had a connection in Miami on my way to Cayman last week, though I ended up switching it to Philly last minute. Our plan was to take an express bus from the airport to Miami Beach - I don't recall the number, but apparently it ran every 30 minutes.

I don't know much about Miami. Though if I was there, I'd try to check out the Design District which is a NU project designed by Duany Plater-Zyberk. (Our friends at DPZ designed Caymana Bay on Grand Cayman, which was also a cool project to see).

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » December 29th, 2014, 2:45 pm

If you have a car, I recommend going to Garcia's for some seafood. I make a stop there every time I go to Miami. Great seafood. And they have this famous fish dip for crackers that is awesome. There will be a lot of trashy people in Miami Beach, so you might want to venture away from it a bit. Coconut Grove is always good. Star and Hibiscus Islands are fun to take a quick drive around. Al Capone's old house still stands, as does the old Cocaine Cowboys house of The Black Widow. Some great history around both of those gangsters.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 29th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Only going to be there for 4 days, 3 nights. More than likely no car rental, as it would be a waste of time and money. I'm looking for destinations on Miami Beach proper and on the Miami Metro. We're flying in early Sunday and leaving late Wednesday. I found the express bus Matt mentioned - Route 150. We'll definitely make use of that between our hotel and the airport.

I'm thinking Sunday we'll probably stick to the immediate area around the hotel and relax, then get more adventurous Monday and Tuesday. Primarily, we need to find things to do after the sun goes down (which, since it's still winter in FL, is not a whole lot later than up here). On Wednesday, we'll check out of the hotel at noonish and head for the mainland (downtown). Our flight doesn't leave until 8pm, so we'll have several hours to check out destinations accessible on the Metro, before heading back to the airport.

I'll take your suggestion on Garcia's but I'm not sure I understand the suggestion to check out those islands. They just look like wealthy culs-de-sac on artificial islands...is the architecture really worth the trip or something?

Are there any good places to bike? (off-street trails, calm streets, etc.) I'm assuming it's pretty easy to rent a bike in Miami Beach.

Where's the better walkable shopping areas, South Beach or downtown? I see Miami Beach has a pedestrian mall that's on the historic register, like a block from the hotel, so we'll definitely spend time there.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 29th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Miami is a very car centric city. Brickell (sp?) was the closest thing to walkable last I was there. It cannot be understated how trashy the beach will be.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 29th, 2014, 8:51 pm

I just looked up where you'll be. Great spot! I did a weekend near there a few years back. I'd highly recommend you stroll Lincoln Road Mall. It's what Nicollet Mall could be like without transit. (Awesome) yes it might be a bit tourist-y but it's worth a look.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » December 31st, 2014, 11:34 am

They are just cul-de-sac islands with wealthy homes. But the islands are almost 100 years old and have a great mixture of luxury home architecture. If you have ever watched any of Billy Corben's documentaries, a home featured in Square Grouper and another home featured in Cocaine Cowboys are on those islands. Not to mention countless celebrities and Al Capone's home. It is a very accessible luxury neighborhood that is a quick bike ride from South Beach. I found it very interesting. Also, dont forget to check out Versace's Miami Beach house on Ocean Drive, now known as The Villa. (Ocean and 11th St)

Brickell is fun, but every night is $15 beer night. Gets pretty expensive.

Also, if you plan on biking, you can just bike on the beach, and around South Beach. Plenty of places to rent bikes. A good portion of the beach furthest from the water is hard packed sand, and very easy to bike on.

Espanola Way is a really cool ped street in South Beach that has some great places to eat.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 31st, 2014, 12:49 pm

Cool, thanks!

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 4th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 4th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Dammit Miami!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 4th, 2015, 5:52 pm

Miami: Building Tomorrow's Boondoggles Today!

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 4th, 2015, 7:01 pm

Don't worry; it'll be underwater in 50 years anyway.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » December 11th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Free Idea: Use parking podiums to shield against rising sea levels. When the lower floors are swamped, nothing of value is lost. The top floors of the podiums can be converted into a skyway‐like system of paths/spaces for pedestrians, transit(probably streetcars), and retail when the ocean takes the streets. The city can be connected to the mainland via a rail link, which along with the high rises and skyscrapers that now make up the city, will have to be made hurricane‐proof. Would probably emphasize efficiency and self‐sufficiency, generating its own power, desalinating its own water, growing its own food, processing its own waste, ect. out of need.