University of Minnesota - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Re: Washington Ave Bridge Enclosed Walkway

Postby TroyGBiv » November 3rd, 2015, 10:37 pm

The bridge has been a sore spot since I went there in the early 1980's. Even back then they were talking about the condition of the long shed - the rusting walls, burned out lights, no heat and graffiti. There were some discussions about whether they could build up - one proposal was a multi story dorm structure. Another one was turning it into the student union and creating massive study areas and food service. It really does beg the question - with the campus becoming so densely built up - isn't it time to use that bridge to strengthen the East/West campus connection.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 4th, 2015, 6:06 am

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Re: University of Minnesota - General Topics & Development M

Postby acs » November 5th, 2015, 12:01 am

One can only dream...

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 5th, 2015, 8:03 am

^^^ What is that?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 5th, 2015, 8:40 am

It's the Ponte Vecchio

mulad

Postby mulad » November 5th, 2015, 10:47 am

I'd hate to lose the view of the river. But hey, windows are a thing.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 5th, 2015, 11:13 am

There are river viewing sections on the ponte, in the middle.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » November 5th, 2015, 12:00 pm

The U of M is requesting $100 million dollars in HEAPR (Higher Education Asset Preservation and Renovation) money in the upcoming bonding (Capital Investment) bill. Who knows what the final amount they get will be, however, one project on their HEAPR list is $10 million for a complete rehabilitation of the roof and side enclosure walls of this bridge. The U could add more of their own money to this for a more comprehensive redo aesthetically of the bridge, but I would be surprised. I would think they use the money to redo and fix what is pretty much already there. It seems to be in pretty rough shape. They are considering the feasibility of several options though.

The enclosed part also carries utility infrastructure that needs to be protected from the elements.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 5th, 2015, 12:07 pm

Lets hope that they have the good sense to put some solar panels along the roof to pay the heating and cooling bills for the enclosure.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » November 19th, 2015, 11:48 am

To be fair to the commuters though, part of it still should be enclosed/heated.
I disagree. If you are concerned about being cold or getting wet, take the bus, train, or a car. If one insists on walking then maybe they should dress more appropriately. I did a lot of walking and biking on campus 4-8 years ago. There is no reason that bridge needs an enclosed walkway, everyone can get by without it.
The thing that doesn't make sense about a covered walkway on a bridge is that you're only covered for a few hundred feet, and then you're right back into the elements.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 19th, 2015, 12:11 pm

As a person who generally doesn't use the skyways for shelter from elements (more out of necessity due to destinations) and who used the Gopher Way tunnels maybe 4x in my entire undergraduate experience... I definitely used the covered walkway when crossing between the banks. The river gorge and height above the water made wind speeds pretty fierce, and an unheated but protected walkway for that long of a stretch was nice (also in the late October or early April cold rain days). It also provides the painted panels to look at to make the journey feel shorter. If a covered walkway isn't a necessity, maybe someone can explain why we need/advocate for bus shelters.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » November 19th, 2015, 12:26 pm

As a person who generally doesn't use the skyways for shelter from elements (more out of necessity due to destinations) and who used the Gopher Way tunnels maybe 4x in my entire undergraduate experience... I definitely used the covered walkway when crossing between the banks. The river gorge and height above the water made wind speeds pretty fierce, and an unheated but protected walkway for that long of a stretch was nice (also in the late October or early April cold rain days). It also provides the painted panels to look at to make the journey feel shorter. If a covered walkway isn't a necessity, maybe someone can explain why we need/advocate for bus shelters.
I see your point, but a bus shelter has people standing in them for a long time. I just remember my U days and the Wash bridge was a short leg of a much longer walk.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 19th, 2015, 1:53 pm

My trips over that bridge never felt very short. That is like walking 3 long city blocks. Yes, the river valley makes for a nice wind trough and the open water can make the moister it picks up feel terrible on your skin that much worse when it is really cold out. We are now just hitting the joyous months of windchill.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 19th, 2015, 3:26 pm

Also, when it was really cold, I'd duck into the first possible building and get underground. Which works better/more intuitively on the West Bank where my classes were clustered.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » November 19th, 2015, 9:30 pm

The Washington Avenue Bridge is 1130 feet long, by the way.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » November 20th, 2015, 9:41 am

The Washington Avenue Bridge is 1130 feet long, by the way.
OK, so I was off on the numbers. So what. I still think it's pointless to have a covered bridge when you're not on the bridge all that long.

Hey, the U can put a covered walkway up if they want, my personal doubts on a message board aren't going to sway them.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 20th, 2015, 10:20 am

I think that'd be a dreadful walk without the walkway, and not because of the weather. Yeah, less than a quarter mile is not that far to walk. But it'd dreadfully boring on that bridge with no visual interest, and seem like a much longer distance.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 20th, 2015, 10:36 am

It truly is miserable in winter outside of that walkway.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » December 4th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Tisk tisk guys... it's been a full 24 hours and nobody has reported on this yet. Step your game:

CPM plans five-story apartment complex in Marcy-Holmes
The proposed development features two five-story buildings, each built in separate phases, with approximately 180 units combined at the corner of 8th Street Southeast and 9th Avenue Southeast, according to preliminary plans shared with The Journal. A majority of the apartments will be smaller junior bedroom units that will be more affordable than luxury student housing around the University of Minnesota.
http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/cp ... rcy-holmes

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 4th, 2015, 8:24 pm

I swear this came up this past spring or summer...