Black Lives Matter, The Police, etc.

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Re: Black Lives Matter, The Police, etc.

Postby Chip Whitley » November 13th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Anyone seen this video from a few days ago at the University of Missouri? A student paid by ESPN is taking pictures of the protest when they turn on him and start harassing him. They try to use the same rights they are enjoying to get him to back off. Complete lack of logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRlRAyulN4o

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » November 13th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » November 13th, 2015, 7:34 pm

Too bad "safe space" doesn't cut it. Rights > Feelings

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » November 14th, 2015, 12:28 pm

I read the "counterpoint" until it said "it was about securing a zone where students’ blackness could not be violated".

Also, most of the article talks about how the black community doesn't trust the media and that's why they didn't want media around... on public university land. Like harassing a 20 year old Asian student reporter is really sticking it to the man or something.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 14th, 2015, 1:35 pm

Gotta make sure Disney Corp profits from others pain.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » November 14th, 2015, 2:19 pm

We've truly jumped the shark when progressive people start telling us the circumstances under which freedom of the press must be abridged.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 14th, 2015, 4:15 pm

It's pretty sad when people who care to opine on the first amendment fail to understand whose actions are constrained by it.

I can't blame black students who've clearly endured disgusting acts of racism and received shrugs from people with the ability to address the issue for being distrustful. Being so casually dismissive of their plight is down right mean.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » November 15th, 2015, 6:45 am

It's pretty sad when people who care to opine on the first amendment fail to understand whose actions are constrained by it.

I can't blame black students who've clearly endured disgusting acts of racism and received shrugs from people with the ability to address the issue for being distrustful. Being so casually dismissive of their plight is down right mean.
Being so causally dismissive of civil rights simply because one empathizes with the violators shows a mis-understanding of why such rights exist.

By the way, I understand the group subsequently opened the camp to the media, the Greek Life coordinator was put on leave, and another journalism professor issued a public letter of apology and resigned from the school of journalism (although she teaches elsewhere at the university). So i have to think that when they calmed down they all realized, 'yeah, we screwed up.'

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 15th, 2015, 8:29 am

The protestors also have a right to their own safety. I don't know about you, but I put that as a more fundamental right than just about any other.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » November 15th, 2015, 10:24 am

The protestors also have a right to their own safety. I don't know about you, but I put that as a more fundamental right than just about any other.
False choice fallacy.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 15th, 2015, 10:29 am

Witnesses are reporting that MPD shot and killed an unarmed, handcuffed black man last night at James and Plymouth.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 15th, 2015, 1:13 pm

False choice fallacy.
The people with skin in the game don't seem to think so.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 15th, 2015, 1:15 pm

#JusticeForJamar #JamesAndPlymouth This needs to not happen.

mulad

Postby mulad » November 15th, 2015, 1:28 pm

Chief Harteau and Mayor Hodges have announced that the state's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension will be investigating.

I'm sure BCA investigations like this hav occasionally happened in the past, but I'm not sure how often. A little Googling on "bureau of criminal apprehension independent investigation" revealed a recent incident in Richfield where an officer was videoed slapping a teenage Somali girl. That Richfield officer has been suspended at least twice in the past for excessive use of force, specifically for hitting people in the head.

http://www.startribune.com/richfield-of ... 334291051/

Anyway, it's good that Minneapolis is choosing to have someone outside do an investigation. Hard to say if the BCA is sufficiently independent, but it's something.

Another search result from earlier this year mentioned that some bills were introduced in the most recent legislature to require outside agencies to investigate such incidents, but it looks like they didn't pass.

http://opensecretsmn.blogspot.com/2015/ ... -will.html

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 15th, 2015, 1:38 pm

So what happened to the body cams? And why were people not let into city hall to listen to Mayor Hodges address the situation?

There are so many questions coming out of this. It makes me just more and more upset with a city I love and want to keep loving.

mulad

Postby mulad » November 15th, 2015, 1:45 pm

Witnesses are reporting that MPD shot and killed an unarmed, handcuffed black man last night at James and Plymouth.
To clarify/muddy the situation -- it appears that he has not been killed but is currently at HCMC. He was certainly described as being motionless/lifeless on the ground after the incident, though.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » November 15th, 2015, 3:18 pm

False choice fallacy.
I would take it you are also in favor of the Patriot Act, and everything that follows? Since "safety" supercedes all other rights, apparently so (even though there is no constitutional guarantee of "safety").

While we're at it, we might as well shut down the internet (it enables hate speech and terrorism!), enforce a national curfew (if you can leave your home, you can hurt your neighbor), confiscate and destroy any private property of value (lest it be used to threaten the safety of someone else), stop holding elections (we wouldn't want the American people to choose someone "problematic" or "unsafe"), etc.

I refuse to stand by while Regressives hide behind my beliefs, and use them to push for the Authoritarianism we've come to expect from the right wing. Once someone starts to fight against the core pillars of our liberal democracy, which is already under strain, they're not "Progressive", nor "Liberal", because the former implies support of progress, and the latter of liberal principles. They are regressive reactionaries who would reenact the past with different colors if not resisted.

If you don't believe in the rights of everyone, even those you despise, you don't believe in them at all, and shouldn't pretend you do.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 15th, 2015, 3:29 pm

Wow, you really outdid yourself with that absurd slippery slope fallacy there. Well done!

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » November 15th, 2015, 3:37 pm

False choice fallacy.
Then they would be wrong. And they effectively admitted it as such with their much more rational actions, apologies, and resignation that followed after they calmed down.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » November 15th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Wow, you really outdid yourself with that absurd slippery slope fallacy there. Well done!
I see you have no actual rebuttal.

Do you then agree that using "percieved safety" (also known as "feelings") as an excuse to abridge our fundamental rights is indefensible?