Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby Munch'n » November 18th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Graves plans hotel and luxury apartment project near U.S. Bank Stadium
Graves Hospitality is partnering with Minneapolis landowner Basant Kharbanda to develop 150 luxury apartments and a 150-room hotel near U.S. Bank Stadium.
The site is a two-acre surface parking lot at the southeast corner of the Washington Avenue/Chicago Avenue intersection.

Graves Hospitality President Ben Graves said his company already has approval from Marriott International to put the hotel under the Marriott Moxy flag. That's the same brand Graves Hospitality is using for the Uptown hotel project that surfaced last week.
Moxy is a new boutique brand that is expanding from Europe to the U.S. It's geared toward traveling businesspeople who might be working downtown but want to stay in a vibrant neighborhood within walking distance or a short transit trip from the city's center.
our mind, it's a lifestyle boutique product with nice rooms, great finishes, but only has the things you need," Graves said.
The stadium-area project will include a fitness center, parking and retail space that would likely be taken up by restaurants
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... adium.html
Meet me in Wells

Anondson
IDS Center

Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby Anondson » November 18th, 2015, 3:30 pm

This new Graves hotel will be across the old rail ROW diagonal from the proposed Stone Arch Hotel at 903 Washington then?

MNdible
is great.

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby MNdible » November 18th, 2015, 3:36 pm

So, this will be right next door to the proposed Stone Arch Hotel, right?

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 18th, 2015, 3:38 pm

wait, so this is the same developer and hotel brand that is going in uptown? I wonder if it will be similar styles.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » November 18th, 2015, 3:38 pm

Yes, and across the street from Thresher square.
Meet me in Wells

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 18th, 2015, 3:45 pm

Well one or two of these hotel proposals is not going to get built. All are a ways from the CBD. More than a few blocks away. Will have to see if they can create a mini entertainment district along East Washington to keep those hotels occupied. We now have two back to back, the 800 across Washington, and the hotel in Thresher Square. Which of these proposals will not make the cut?? Or do we really think they all can fly when there is not Superbowl, Final 4, and other mega events that will for sure fill the rooms.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Graves Downtown East Development - Washington & Chicago

Postby acs » November 18th, 2015, 3:46 pm

So at what point do we reach peak boutique hotel?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 18th, 2015, 3:47 pm

Hennepin County map: https://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/de ... 2924120016

Click around. Everything that comes up "Timeshare Properties" could conceivably be part of this project. I do wonder/worry how they will handle the property line and access issues with the proposed Stone Arch Hotel next door.

Yeah...lotta hotel rooms being proposed around here. Between Thresher, 800 Washington, Stone Arch, and now this one, it seems pretty likely that one will not get built (*cough* Stone Arch *cough)

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 18th, 2015, 3:49 pm

This new Graves hotel will be across the old rail ROW diagonal from the proposed Stone Arch Hotel at 903 Washington then?
I hope they preserve the rail ROW, I though the stone arch hotel was counting on it being left open for access and visibility.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 18th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Heh. I wandered up onto that parking lot in Sunday and wondered why we hadn't heard any proposals for it yet. There we go, I suppose.

But, yeah, 6 hotels on 6 adjacent blocks might be a bit much for this part of town.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 18th, 2015, 3:50 pm

You have the Graves, the Stonearch, the 800, and the Threshers square. Can this area handle 4 more hotels as well as the huge Marriott Courtyard that is already across 35W @ 7 corners.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 18th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Well one or two of these hotel proposals is not going to get built. All are a ways from the CBD. More than a few blocks away. Will have to see if they can create a mini entertainment district along East Washington to keep those hotels occupied. We now have two back to back, the 800 across Washington, and the hotel in Thresher Square. Which of these proposals will not make the cut?? Or do we really think they all can fly when there is not Superbowl, Final 4, and other mega events that will for sure fill the rooms.
Well, thresher square is pretty far along in the process despite a few delays and the people behind the stone arch seem to be treating the project as their magnum opus that they will build regardless of market conditions. That leaves this new project. That said, I find it interesting that they announced this AFTER Minneapolis was rejected for hosting the college football playoff in 2020.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » November 18th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Moxy hotel actually, ran by Graves. Yeah Stone Arch seems less likely of them all.
Meet me in Wells

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 18th, 2015, 3:59 pm

The stadium-area project will include a fitness center, parking and retail space that would likely be taken up by restaurants.

Specifics are still being worked out in the schematic design process, Graves said, and details like height are still to be decided. He hopes to submit plans to the city before the end of the year.

Kharbanda owns lots of property in Downtown East and recently sold two hotels for $101 million: W Minneapolis Hotel - The Foshay and Le Meriden Chambers Minneapolis.
So he has money...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 18th, 2015, 4:08 pm

Says that 4 other developers,besides Graves, have pitch proposals, who would be the 5th one? Are they talking the extra floor on the Depot Renaissance?

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » November 18th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Probably Kraus-Anderson
Meet me in Wells

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 18th, 2015, 4:13 pm

I think we're all forgetting the business travelers who will be frequenting the new WF towers, alongside the stadium.
We are a Big City guys - sure there may be a proposal that doesn't happen... but planning for the future, and the need that will be there, seems like a good bet downtown.

I LOVE seeing a proposal for this block.
I hope it shakes something out of Zigy for his blocks soon too! Some sort of destination/space for even more feet on the streets in this area - for all the new hotels, would be ideal. Please THINK BIG Zigy. Bring something worthwhile and people-drawing.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 18th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Reminder: I posted this link in the economics of housing thread.

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2015/ ... t.html?m=1

Short summary. Hotels are at record occupancy and revenue levels. The money guys must still be seeing these as good investments by the fundamentals.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 18th, 2015, 4:20 pm

What are the chances that the apartments are on top of the hotel? Would be nice to get a little variation and height now that the stadium is so tall.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 18th, 2015, 4:22 pm

What are the chances that the apartments are on top of the hotel? Would be nice to get a little variation and height now that the stadium is so tall.
That would be really awesome. You could have some really amazing views of the river & downtown!