Seven Points Uptown (Calhoun Square)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Calhoun Square

Postby Minneboy » August 6th, 2015, 3:51 pm

How much better does the economy have to be before something gets done here before the mall gets the renovation and expansion east?

Never mind. Having a rough day.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 6th, 2015, 9:50 pm

How much better does the economy have to be before something gets done here before the mall gets the renovation and expansion east?

Never mind. Having a rough day.
Ackerberg's priority right now is the second phase of Mosaic. While they may do some things to foster a development foundation/plans for that site. Their dollars will be set squarely on the Mosaic site, unless they find a partnership that will do most of the financing for a building on that Lake street site. Patience, I have much more faith in Ackerberg than I do in Opus, Mortenson, or Ryan at the moment. They are forward thinkers who are not scared to think outside the box and have visions that are way above the status quo that we see being done today. I>M>O

Minneapolitan

Postby Minneapolitan » November 28th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Are we talking about the ghost mall? Why does this city hate retail.
I have given so many ideas that combat online shopping ... its not hard.

Minneapolitan

Postby Minneapolitan » November 28th, 2015, 3:08 pm

Are we talking about the ghost mall? Why does this city hate retail.
I have given so many ideas that combat online shopping ... its not hard.
I didnt really read this thread sooo sorry if im off topic

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 28th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 28th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Not used to that new front entrance yet. Took me a few before I knew where that pic was taken.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » November 29th, 2015, 9:19 am

I agree. The old format to me was the front door for Uptown. Now it lacks the openess to both those outside and to beckon those inside.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 29th, 2015, 12:34 pm

THe inviting entrance is now by the Kitchen Window and the Coffee shop. That is the open and spacious entrance.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 29th, 2015, 3:54 pm

They added another retail space to this busy intersection, and are trying to not drag people inside their mall. Isn't this a good thing?

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » November 30th, 2015, 6:16 pm

THe inviting entrance is now by the Kitchen Window and the Coffee shop. That is the open and spacious entrance.
That may be so but my issue is with this intersection. That corner entrance was like a big welcome to Uptown.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » November 30th, 2015, 6:52 pm

That may be so but my issue is with this intersection. That corner entrance was like a big welcome to Uptown.
I couldn't agree more. Hennepin & Lake now feels cold and uninviting. When that corner spot is filled, I don't think it'll change. The Kitchen Window/coffee shop entrance is for all intents and purposes, hidden. This is one of the city's showcase intersections and it just lost an important focal point. The sign at the top of the building helps, but its not enough.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 30th, 2015, 8:45 pm

Really? The dark dingy entrance was the neighborhood's focal point? I think the new brightly lit retail windows will be a welcome addition to the intersection.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 30th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Is there anywhere in the city with more mid-block crossing than at the "side" entrance (Kitchen Window, Jimmy John's, et al)?

It actually seems like a pretty good case for a formalized crossing there. Instead of a push button to stop cars like on 31st & Girard, probably better to just go with permanently flashing yellows and a really obvious crosswalk.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » November 30th, 2015, 10:25 pm

Really? The dark dingy entrance was the neighborhood's focal point?
No, not the neighborhood's, just the intersection's. Out of the four corners, that corner seemed to be the one people focused most of their attention on. I agree that it could have used some sprucing up. But, it was obviously an entrance into something larger and it made the corner feel more like a small plaza with the building's deep overhang above the outer doors. The new entrance is much smaller and looks like any another store front. The old entrance made a great meeting place and seemed to encourage a little bit of lingering and loitering as people waited to cross the street and especially during storms. That all made the corner seem much more social and vibrant. We'll get some of that with the new entrance but probably not as much.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 1st, 2015, 12:32 pm

I agree, the old entrance was much more prominent / obvious to the pedestrian. However, I'll wait until the new storefront is occupied to pass final judgement.

If the intersection were reconstructed with some bumpouts, slightly wider sidewalks, zebra striped crosswalks, etc, I feel like that would really change things for the better. It's one of the most important intersections in the entire city, for all transportation modes. Ultimately, the public infrastructure should have a much greater effect than where Calhoun Square orients their doors.

I'm also potentially in support of a mid-block crossing of Hennepin at their side entrance, as stated above. I'm guessing Public Works would hate the idea, but you never know. If they felt it would cut down on the random illegal ped crossings every which way, they might favor it.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » December 1st, 2015, 3:04 pm

I actually like the Lake-31st block of Hennepin because how calm it is. The random midblock crossings help in this, and I'm not sure a formalized one is really necessary. People are going to park and jut across to the Apple Store or whatever in the quickest way possible.

And yeah, the corner entrance was more prominent, but I don't really think this intersection is degraded much in its loss. As twincitizen says, the freeway-like nature of Lake here and hectic car turning movements make the place feel far less welcoming than the change to side from corner entrance.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 1st, 2015, 4:19 pm

Is there anywhere in the city with more mid-block crossing than at the "side" entrance (Kitchen Window, Jimmy John's, et al)?

It actually seems like a pretty good case for a formalized crossing there. Instead of a push button to stop cars like on 31st & Girard, probably better to just go with permanently flashing yellows and a really obvious crosswalk.
I have to cross one of those daily where I live and I can tell you nobody stops to let us cross the street. Different city and different values, possibly, but just my observation.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » December 1st, 2015, 5:28 pm

I have to cross one of those daily where I live and I can tell you nobody stops to let us cross the street. Different city and different values, possibly, but just my observation.
No you're right, it would probably be more of the same here. Once I stopped for an old woman in a crosswalk on Chicago Ave, and had to honk at her to alert her that someone was about to swerve around me and hit her going like 35-40 mph! She got out of the way just barely in time. Was a tense thing to witness that close though...

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » December 1st, 2015, 6:55 pm

I think it would work here because there's only one lane in each direction and no room for someone to swerve around. Plus, this isn't a fast thoroughfare to begin with. There's usually a line of cars waiting to get through the lights and when there isn't, responsible drivers are driving slower to begin with due to all the random j-walkers darting across the road. I think it'd make crossing much safer.

If Penzeys Spices ever vacates their location it'd be interesting to consider a partial modification of the structure to accommodate a pedestrian bridge. There's plenty of existing room on the east side of Hennepin for a staircase or it could simply come off the 2nd floor of Calhoun Square. Or, removal of two parking spots on either side of the road at that spot might accommodate it as well. I know, crazy idea... :)

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 1st, 2015, 7:03 pm

No you're right, it would probably be more of the same here. Once I stopped for an old woman in a crosswalk on Chicago Ave, and had to honk at her to alert her that someone was about to swerve around me and hit her going like 35-40 mph! She got out of the way just barely in time. Was a tense thing to witness that close though...
I swear drivers are getting worse in this regard.